Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: House generator advise

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I never verified it but one of my buddies who got one and did his homework on them tells me that Generacs are made in Chi Na and Kohlers are made is USA. Something makes me think that Briggs and Stratton also makes one in America but I'm not sure on that one.
    I didn't fact check this article, but says otherwise...

https://generatorsage.com/where-are-...nerators-made/

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    I didn't fact check this article, but says otherwise...

https://generatorsage.com/where-are-...nerators-made/
    Good to know and good to see...
    Generac Generators or, morse specifically, Generac engines, are manufactured in Wisconsin, where Generac has several plants. Recently, Generac did ship some of their production to China but has since pulled production back to the US.
    https://www.beupp.com/articles/where...nerators-made/

ETA:
    Generac’s website makes it clear that those two are made in the US, while the OHV is not manufactured in the US. However, Generac doesn’t go into detail about where the OHV is manufactured at all.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

I think the cost of a whole house generator is whatever the market will bear, depending on who you call. I have heard quotes everywhere from 10k-15k recently. Or you can sub the job yourself and save several thousand. Buy your Generac from Home Depot when on sale, use their credit card for an additional 10% off (or was it 5%?), take it home in your pick up or rent a trailor, hire a private company to set it in place and hook up the panel (I use Chico Elec but there are plenty of people around), and have a plumber hook up the gas piping. No big deal.

Apart from storms and the like, I wouldn't be surprised to see more power outages in the future. The sabotage on the substation down south, whether from stupid kids, terrorists, or whoever, probably will happen again. So will periods of high usage which lead to brown outs or other use restrictions. I like having my own power generation capability in my back yard.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    I think the cost of a whole house generator is whatever the market will bear, depending on who you call. I have heard quotes everywhere from 10k-15k recently. Or you can sub the job yourself and save several thousand. Buy your Generac from Home Depot when on sale, use their credit card for an additional 10% off (or was it 5%?), take it home in your pick up or rent a trailor, hire a private company to set it in place and hook up the panel (I use Chico Elec but there are plenty of people around), and have a plumber hook up the gas piping. No big deal.

Apart from storms and the like, I wouldn't be surprised to see more power outages in the future. The sabotage on the substation down south, whether from stupid kids, terrorists, or whoever, probably will happen again. So will periods of high usage which lead to brown outs or other use restrictions. I like having my own power generation capability in my back yard.
    Agree with going whole house, and in the name of saving opportunities if you work from home claim that shit and deduct.

(Berks County)

If you go generac when they install the transfer panel make sure the contacts are tight. We had loose contact tips arcing and the bozo who had to be called back was arguing with me the whole time until he removed the front panel and the blue light was unmistakable.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Monroe County)

I've had a Generac guardian whole house generator for 12 years now. Never had any issues with it other than the battery needed replacing after 7 years. In the years before I had this generator, I ran a 6800w Troy Bilt gas job. That sits as a backup in my shed just in case. Worked well enough, but was a pain.

The not having to drag it out, hook it up, and refuel as necessary, is a huge benefit. Especially true during inclement weather or the middle of the night, which is usually when the power goes out.

Maintenance is simple enough. The top opens up, the front panel lifts up and off, allowing easy access to the engine. Maintenance costs $65 for the kit + 2 quarts of Mobil one. Done every 200hrs or 2 years. I do like that the standby generators hold 2 quarts of oil and have full pressure lubrication, an oil filter, and a little oil cooler on the side. Some portables may not have all these features.

I do basic maintenance on 6 of these Generac generators at my customer's homes. Only one has ever needed repair. And that was for a failed voltage control and throttle motor at about 15 years old. $400.

2 of my customers have Cummins/Onan generators. Those have been somewhat more problematic in their electronics. They also have Briggs engines.

JaySmith had a great idea with his generator shed/addition for those not wanting to fork over the big bucks for an automatic standby unit. I had done something similar for a customer who used a big, heavy, portable. Eventually he replaced his portable with an automatic standby type.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    Hello ! It*s been awhile!
    . I know there*s lots of mechanical knowledge members here and I just got to thinking that it*s time to seriously consider a house generator. Possibly to rig to the furnace (gas) and hot water and or fridge and a few lights. We have a cape cod (small 2 floors and basement) so not a big home by any means.
    Any recommendations on a mid size I guess generator ? Not interested in a low end brand if not a proven item. Honda ? What type of fuel is best or are all gas powered?. We have a covered but not enclosed side porch as the backyard is below our main floor due to topography. So maybe it could be used from there
    Thanks for any ideas or suggestions on a reputable, reliable generator.
    Generac makes great residential generators. That's what I would go with if I were doing a whole-house one. They have them where they self-test monthly and if you hook it up to your internet it will even contact the company if there is a problem.

I researched this for our previous home which was on well water. Well water is going to be your largest draw of electricity depending on it's size. I had a 3/4 hp and estimated 9kw just for starting that. We also had a small house with propane so the rest of the house was lower power usage.

Is your water heater electric or gas? If it's electric you may want to look at getting a gas heater instead. Electric water heaters can draw 6-9000 watts easy. A gas water heater probably draws a few hundred watts at most.

You need to figure out how many watts you need and then size a generator 20% more than the total. Get one of those "Kill A Watt" meters and find out how much power everything you plan on having run by a generator draws. You can leave it in over a period of times to get an average and spike draw rate.

For fuel, ideally you want propane. Propane does not corrode or degrade over time. You can use your utility natural gas but make sure to have it inspected as the NG can corrode long term. Also, you are depending on your utility provider for fuel during an emergency. NG lines also need power and can stop providing during a regional emergency.

Whatever you get, make sure you test and follow maintenance on it. Later today I have to go tear apart my little Generac 2kw generator because I left some gas in it long term and forgot to get the non-ethanol gas.

(Chester County)

For the budget minded folks, I have a kohler 9500 portable that uses gasoline. Transfer switch wired to the panel to run the neccessary items, ac, fridge, water pump, outlet for the propane fire plMorgantown. Fuel consumption depends on electric draw, 3 gallons ran the fridge, a few lights and water pump the other day for 6 hours.

All in under $1500. Generator, cords, transfer switch. I get ethanol free gas at wawa in morgantown.
    Hoplophobia is funny

It will be 10 years in January 2023 since the start-up of my 22KW Generac liquid cooled whole house generator. It is powered by natural gas from PSE&G. It has only failed me once during that period, luckily not during a power outage.

It starts up and cycles every week and one week the starter motor failed at about 7 years. Of course it was in the Winter and a cold and miserable replacement. Starter motor from Amazon.

It runs a Mitsubishi engine and every year gets an oil and filter change as well as air filter and spark plugs. It has gone through 2 Batteries during its' life so far.

It is not a set up and forget it situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Northumberland County)

No connection to seller or idea if it's a good unit, but PTO driven Northstar 13kw gen mounted to a small trailer in Duncannon if anyone is looking.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=dXMIcH

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast