Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Senior hunter observations, history and safety while hunting

I suppose since I was called a "Senior Hunter" recently, the title is somewhat accurate.
    I have archery hunted the early season, the old mans early rifle doe season and have a week of rifle hunting under my belt this year. ( so far).

My 70 YO friend and I went to Tionesta for rifle season. His kid had covid, his cousin couldn't make it so Just the 2 of us..

He wanted to hunt the mountain ( check that---- big hill).
    Damn, I prefer to hunt along the creek and 100 yards up but I said OK.

The mountain got substantially higher.
    The mountain got quite a bit steeper.
    The old quad trail going up the mountain seemed to double in length if not more.
    My legs got quite a bit shorter.
    I fall. A LOT. Balance has gone to shit. Equiibrium is there as well.
    Damn boy scouts ruined me 60 years ago when they told me I had to " Be Prepared".
    I carry WAY TOO MUCH SHIT in with me.
    I took my trusty 760 pump 30.06, my Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .41 mag and probably should have left the Glock 19 at camp.

A change of clothes to get out of wet and into some dry.
    I saw 4 deer and fell onto my rifle on my way out.

I no longer do rain hunting and truthfully, was happy for a day break.
    I used the Tikka after falling on the .06.
    Second and 3rd hunt day I saw no deer even though I saw so much deer shit, they should have called a plumber.
    Trails, old rubs ( on 2 1/2 inch and smaller trees). More evidence of deer being in that thick sapling stuff than ever before.

We were the only 2 guys in that area so no one was moving deer around.

I archery hunted in my back yard on Friday. Saw 4 doe too far out.

All in all, a good time again regardless of scoring a deer.

Glad I'm still able although my friend said if he got a deer a half mile in , he did not believe he could drag it himself.

Moving on, I was looking over my deer log book I started in 1976

I have documented 46 deer to date however I lost one sheet of log book from from 2001 through 2008 so have no record of that time frame.
    A couple years back, I shot a cow elk in Wyoming with the Savage at 180.

I've harvested deer with that 760 pump, 30-30, my 20 gage small game shotgun, an Ithaca 12 ga, a .44 redhawk, an 1903A3, a Savage .300WM, a Tikka .300 WM, a Whitetail Hunter and Golden Eagle Evolution compounds, a 10 Point Wicked Ridge Invader and Stealth FX4 crossbows.

I've loved every minute of it.

At 73, I'm slowing down considerably. Dragging is much more difficult which leads me into the safety of elderly hunting.

I bought a personal locator beacon for if i would be able to activate it.
    We try to hunt with at least 2 of us, relatively close, use radios or if reception, texting of our movements and whereabouts.
    I carry some aspirin, a space blanket, small folding saw, a fire making source and a few granola bars. a bottle of water too.

So, all in all I"ve had a pretty decent run of hunting history, can still drag a deer but a hell of a lot slower now, I believe I have the ability to spend a night in if needed and hope to continue enjoying what I love to do.

I have stuff loaded for tomorrow. I'm taking the Henry .44, the Blackhawk .41 and mapped out the mile I'll walk into the woods.
    A different friend and I are going together. That youngster is 2 months my junior and a lifelong friend.

Good Times.
    For a while I hope.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Senior hunter observations, history and safety while hunting

I'm glad you are still able to get out there and enjoy it. I haven't hunted in a long time, and am almost 2 decades younger than you, but I appreciate your insight into aging, and understanding and adapting to your limitations.

46 deer is a pretty good success rate, especially since you could only take one for a good portion of those years.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Wayne County)

I feel your pain 27. Being the same age as you, I*m losing the desire for eastern whitetail hunting. I*m spoiled by all the western hunting I*ve done over the years. I*ve got 2 pts for both muledeer and pronghorn for Wyoming and I*m going to try and do another hunt in 2023. Tired of sitting still and freezing my ass off for a little deer meat which I mostly give away. I*m also starting to think about selling off some of my hunting rifles.

Stay safe and healthy.

(Washington County)

If you're wearing the same boots and clothing you've been wearing for decades you might want to look at the current synthetic stuff on the market that is lighter and warmer. I remember when I was young, going out in the woods with heavy carharrts and boots that felt like cinderblocks. Today, when I venture out, my layers of clothing weigh practically nothing compared to that older stuff, and it makes a difference. Just something to consider.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

Well, yesterday we had a great day to be in the woods. Nice crisp 20 degrees in the AM. Sunny and maybe a bit too mild at 50 in the afternoon.
    I took my Henry .44 and NM Blackhawk 41 for a walk.

A friend was looking for a 2a spot to hunt so he followed me for the 25 min drive to Avella.
    We walked a mile along tracks and uup another one of those steeper longer climbs.
    Ha

A young guy who.processes my deer said he was freezing by dusk as we left .

I believe I've solved the cold issues mostly.
    Zamberlan and Kennetrek boots are great.
    Multi layered 27 was toasty.
    I wear multiple base layers and a change of base layers when I.post.
    I take off the wet/ damp layer and put on dry . I carry extra heavy layers ( goretex) strapped to my backpack and change as temperature or precip dictates.

2 friends and I went in. About 3 ish, I start hunting my way back toward the truck.
    Low light seems to make me fall more.

We saw very few deer. No matter.
    The day in the woods was the payoff.

I hurt pretty good by days end. Both knees are shit. Getting up off the ground hotseat has to be comical. Ibuprofin is my friend.

Maybe backyard archery a couple evenings this week and a walk with the 7mm on Sat.

QB. I have to really think about another hunt in Wyoming.. I only walked about 2 1/2 miles yesterday and downhill toward the truck was quite bothersome. Not sure I can navigate the terrain for a bull but would like to give that a shot.

Day after. Not too bad

(Bucks County)

Around ten years ago I introduced two younger men to turkey hunting. Took one on a small walk; my GPS later recorded it as 8.45 mi and 700 ft of total elevation change. Next day the younger man complained about being sore. I wasn't sore at all.

Times change and I can't do more than a mile or so without turning into a limping cripple. The rougher the terrain, the quicker I start feeling it.

I have adapted.

(Wayne County)

Kids and most young people only play in their home with computers. Growing up in the 50s/60s there wasn*t much to do indoors, so it was outside we went and played, walked, ran, socialized. I really feel sorry for the kids nowadays.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Kids and most young people only play in their home with computers. Growing up in the 50s/60s there wasn*t much to do indoors, so it was outside we went and played, walked, ran, socialized. I really feel sorry for the kids nowadays.
    We had 40 to 50 applicants for Hunter Education classes the last 2 years since I was certed to help instruct.
    I felt as though I should give a bit back after enjoying years of mostly successful hunting.

Some of my senior friends are one and 2 day hunters (fire 3 rounds to verify zero, then a hard half day or 2 half days of being in the woods).
    I often wonder how much time the new hunters actually get to hunt. Priorities.

Hopefully more than the occasional outing.
    Success breeds desire but to be successful, you need to be out there, gaining knowledge and experience to become proficient with your weapon of choice. I rarely see people shoot their deer rifles aside from on benches.
    I tell the HE attendees to shoot as much as they can in the same .positions they may be in if they have a target.

Many hunters stop hunting for various reasons and we've had discussins on how to maintain the interest.

Almost all us old guys have to adapt ( as posted earlier) due to aging, bodies wearing out, getting weaker physically,

I am grateful to still be doing it but the success of getting a deer is no longer as important to me as being out there.

QB is right, we wanted to be outside as kids of the 50s and 60s, climbing trees, walking in the woods throwing rocks into creeks, building fires, camping, baseball, hide and seek,shooting our bb guns and .22s.
    Even in the suburbs we did this.

Ahhh, now it's reflection of days gone by. Usually when I'm sitting under a tree with a rifle on my lap.

I'll be up in a tree 20 feet this afternoon with a crossbow and spend the last couple rifle days sitting with my 7mm.

Beats the hell out of working. Ha.

(Bucks County)

As one gains more recognition of one's own mortality, taking life becomes less enjoyable.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    As one gains more recognition of one's own mortality, taking life becomes less enjoyable.
    Other people have written the same, or quit hunting for any number of reasons.
    May I ask, did you consider yourself a senior hunter when you stopped and at what age?

Today was a very beautiful day to be in the woods. Crisp frosty leaves, sunshine.
    Man. it gets no better.

2 deer ran toward me from about 100 yards out to about 60.
    I verified one as a doe, flipped off the Rem 700 safety and in less than a second, she was gone into some thick stuff.
    I saw the back end of a deer for about 10 seconds but could not be sure if it was the same deer. I did not shoot ( safety rule #4).

Near the end of the day, I saw 2 more deer but no shot presentation was offered

I still really enjoy venison tenderloins, chops and jerky. If friends don't get a deer, they get some of mine.

Tomorrow will be the last day of regular rifle season.
    I think the 7mm would like another chance.

This spot looks pretty good. I may bring my Loggy Bayou treestand out there after Christmas and see if the 10 point crossbow can help..

Of our group, 4 are seniors ( 70 or better) one is 59 and one is 25.
    My 73 YO BIL has not called so I would think he has not shot a deer either.

I drove 25 min to hunt. This nontypical was in my backyard at 730.
    https://flic.kr/p/2o4VZbM
    Last edited by 27hand; December 9th, 2022 at 08:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast