Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Union County)

Default Re: When to buy your son his first gun?

When my wife told me she was pregnant with our first, I'm pretty sure I started labeling certain guns 'his' that night.
    My biological was a cop with a modest collection of pieces. Not a lot, but what he had was special. Growing up, I knew I wanted to inherit those guns. When he got caught with his long-term mistress, he sold them all to pay for the ensuing fireworks. Honestly just another disappointment from him. Won't do that to mine.
    My oldest is 8, youngest is 3. They both love blasters. While he started on a pump Daisy bb gun, the 8 year old used his Christmas/birthday money last year for a M&P15-22. Part of his allowance for chores is paid in 22lr. He does really well with the 22, but he's been shooting full caliber rifles for 2 years. I've limited him to 7.62 and smaller though. He has no flinch, and I don't want a big bore to induce one. He shoots 22lr handguns fine, but it will be a while until his hand strength/hand size can handle much more. I'll start him on a small 38 revolver with a reduced power loads when the time comes.
    When you become a dad, you know when they're ready for things. Some of it's you, some of it's their personality. But you know when it's ready to try things. And you try them in the safest manner and environment you can. If something doesn't work out, he wait a little while and try again. Just be safe about it.

Congrats and enjoy! God, please bless the child, Amen.
    Something clever belongs here. Same screen name at ARFCOM.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Congratulations!

So, with him on the way, he needs a place to sleep. My office is currently set up in the spare bedroom, so I'm gonna have to move. To the basement!

Got it stick framed, electrical, and good deal of drywall up. Next i need to grind the high spots in the floor then put down a moisture barrier and pergo flooring.

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

Got a concrete grinder and ground out all the high points on the floor. The dust almost killed me. Full face respirator thankfully did it's job. Cleaned that up and put out a vapor barrier and started the pergo flooring. What a pita that stuff is sometimes. Also managed to get a perfect cut around the existing wall. That was tricky. Once I get the tricky stuff ironed out, it should go much faster.

(Susquehanna County)

To answer the question of when to buy son his first gun. Give the "Cricket" and other youth models....I'd say when he's physically big enough to hold the rifle correctly (teach him the classic positions)and mentally developed enough to understand and apply the basics of safety and responsibility.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Susquehanna County)

BTW Congratulations to all those expectant fathers and especially the soon to be Mothers! BTW teach your daughters to shoot also!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Allegheny County)

That’s what a real man does, right there…he makes it happen.
    Go, JaySmith!

Serious question. My wife was trying to figure out what outfit to bring him home from the hospital, and boom, it hit me. Ghillie suit. I could wear one too, we'd be matching. But I can't find one for newborns. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Finished the flooring, that took a tad longer than expected because the walls were out of square by 1/2" over 8'. I got the hallway finished too, but then there was a huge rise i missed when grinding concrete. Next is getting the walls sorted, i have some electrical to do as well. Then I'll button up the ceilings and do some sound deadening for the servers in the room. Some exhaust work to ensure sufficient airflow.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123