Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default ATF classification for Potato Gun

I came across this while doing some unrelated research on the ATF's site:

(B17) How do I obtain a classification from ATF for my "potato gun?" [Back]

Any person desiring a classification of a “potato gun,” “spud gun” or similar device must submit a written request (not e-mail) to the Director and include a complete and accurate description of the device, the name and address of the manufacturer or importer, the purpose for which it is intended, and such photographs, diagrams, or drawings as may be necessary to make a classification. A final determination may require physical examination of the device. Such requests for classification should be submitted to: Bureau of ATF, Firearms Technology Branch.
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b17

What the heck is that all about? Is it a different kind of potato gun than my 11 year old son has?

(Washington County)

Default Re: ATF classification for Potato Gun

Their FAQ used to state that spud guns did not fit the definition of a gun or destructive device because they are not designed to be a weapon. However they added the caveat that if the gun were designed to shoot flaming projectiles, then it would be considered a destructive device. What probably happened was the FAQ wasn't good enough, and they got too many requests from people wanting a letter stating their spudgun was legal, so they changed it to a bunch of hoops to jump through.

If ATF says it's legal once, leave well enough alone. If you ask again and they think about it, they may decide it's not. That's exactly what happened with the Akin's Accelerator.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Butler County)

You dont need your spud gun to be classified if thats truly what it is. As long as it is not intended to be or used as a weapon, than it is what it is - a potato gun. The atf has already deemed them legal to own and use.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jud4420 View Post
    You dont need your spud gun to be classified if thats truly what it is. As long as it is not intended to be or used as a weapon, than it is what it is - a potato gun. The atf has already deemed them legal to own and use.
    ..but what if it has a barrel less than 16"...I like to conceal my spud gun. It's a single shooter, but it puts em down .

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bloomautomatic View Post
    However they added the caveat that if the gun were designed to shoot flaming projectiles, then it would be considered a destructive device.
    I wonder if you combined a marshmallow shooter, lighter fluid and a match if it would be considered a destructive devise and need a permit

(Butler County)

only if it is intended or used as a weapon. lol

I was just talking to a guy about making a full auto marshmellow gun. air powerd of course.

Flamethrowers are not DD either unless used as a weapon so hell yea! lets make 60 mph smores!

(Berks County)

Nothing more fun than a spud gun. The one we used to have could (and did) blow holes through a barn door. I would NOT want to be on the receiving end of one of these things.

(Lancaster County)

i made a mortor for firing paintballs at the big games i attend but its all ran off co2

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    Nothing more fun than a spud gun. The one we used to have could (and did) blow holes through a barn door. I would NOT want to be on the receiving end of one of these things.
    You mean like this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu6oXaH7IZQ
    "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"A Canadian is sort of like an American, but without the gun"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PapaJazz26 View Post
    Why are teenage boys so retarded? I have to admit though that I would have had no problem standing on the side lines laughing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast