Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: 💲A pharma millionaire is suing four hunters for $7 million

I recall wealthy people getting tax breaks for designating property as some sort of public use or Greenway. There were videos of people trying to have picnics on the property and getting arrested.

(Wayne County)

This has been going on in Wyoming for awhile now. Lib big money buying up all the big ranches and cutting off access.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Of course the article had to say how Trump 'used the courts' like this landowner, and that the landowner gave money to Republicans. Irrelevant. An a-hole is an a-hole.
    The article is from the daily kook which is to be considered antifa/NWO headquarters. I would take anything written by those nut jobs with a grain of salt.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    I recall wealthy people getting tax breaks for designating property as some sort of public use or Greenway. There were videos of people trying to have picnics on the property and getting arrested.
    PA Clean & Green laws provide tax breaks on large parcels of land, with the caveat that the owner allow "reasonable public access". It's a simple solution....
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    PA Clean & Green laws provide tax breaks on large parcels of land, with the caveat that the owner allow "reasonable public access". It's a simple solution....
    That's it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Only for a subset of the approved categories. I have land enrolled via Forest Reserve and do not need to allow public access. I see a lot of other large parcels which I bet are enrolled with No Trespassing signs up. It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever challenged an enrollment because a landowner denied access.

10 acres is minimum plot to enroll.

Must I allow public access to my Clean and Green property?
    • Of the three categories - Agricultural Use, Agricultural Reserve, and Forest Reserve,
    the only category that needs to remain open to the public for passive recreational uses and free of charge on a non-discriminatory basis is Agricultural Reserve. A landowner may place reasonable restrictions on this, however. For example, a landowner need not allow access after dark, or carrying of firearms, or motorized vehicles.
    https://www.courthouseonline.com/Sta...CT%20SHEET.PDF

You can enroll fewer than 10 acres if you produce at least $2000 per year in agricultural commodities, but the rules around it make you a slave to the county. If you stop producing $2000 EVER they claw back the last 7 years of taxes plus interest.
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

I think this us the corner crossing case that he lost in criminal court. IIRC, the 3 Non-Resident hunters had accessed previously and he built tall fences on the opposing corners. They came back with ladders and never touched his property. Weird deal because the state law gives him the air above as property but that opens the door with flights, etc. Asst. DA initial refused to ticket the hunters but caved under pressure. BHA or a similar group is helping with legal fight but are themselves controversial.

I think the cleanest thing to resolve going forward would be easement requirements before public land is purchased. I’ve seen situations in the South and West where land is sold to public but with full knowledge the surrounding land locks public out.

In PA I’ve seen the opposite. A public road that accesses parts of the Lehigh and State park will have land on both sides purchased. Then a gate pops up marking it private property. Using even Google Maps, one of the spots I like to go had a named, marked road. Now after 4-5 years the landowner filed it miss-marked and it shows as no road, all private. In one case, a neighbor told me the road had been purchased. Always a head scratcher, collect liquid fuel tax on a road since ‘64 law passed and then one day it’s private with no one questioning misappropriated funds or access loss. It’s often an overlook corner of park access. I find a lot of access points marked by the state but driving to them shows posted signs. Probably trying to dissuade 9/10 people who don’t know better.

Only thing the owner out west lost was the prestige of having a mountain range locked up with guided hunters paying a high price to hunt. If it becomes known public access his 100k acres becomes really the 5-10k he actually owns. I’m all for buying land strategically but at this point in the lawsuit he’s being scum trying to scare away legally licensed hunters from public land and even criminal law isn’t on his side. He’s counting on outlasting them financially or as a lawyer told me when I was in a situation the biggest hammer matters more than laws.

If the landowner had someone polluting his land with hazardous runoff or walking through his property at the midpoint I’d be all for his heavy handed tactics to scare off others. To try to dissuade other legally permitted hunters from accessing public bought land should be a nonstarter. Obviously swings some influence in the area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12