Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: FFL called me back

When an ffl goes out of business, his records are sent to an atf facility in W.V. The Pa. state police do not get out of business ffl records.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I understand that, but when buying a pistol, you file your paperwork (register) it with the state police.
    When doing a transfer of a non pistol, you file it with your ffl. Only when the ffl gives up his license is when it all
    goes to the state police.
    For Clarity, I sent my 4473's to the ATF "Out-of-Business" section when I gave up my FFL, nothing goes to PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    When an ffl goes out of business, his records are sent to an atf facility in W.V. The Pa. state police do not get out of business ffl records.
    ^cdi beat me to it
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    If you buy a firearm, your FFL sends the Make/model/serial number on an SP4-113 to the State Police for their Record of Sale Database, where it's recorded, and it's searchable by either the gun or by the person.

What makes this somehow NOT "registration" is that it's not updated if the gun is destroyed, inherited, or moves out of state either with the owner or by transfer through an out-of-state FFL.

https://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-info...ns-10-2008.pdf
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

So it's best to use young ffl's so they don't retire soon. Gotcha.

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    For Clarity, I sent my 4473's to the ATF "Out-of-Business" section when I gave up my FFL, nothing goes to PSP.

When I gave up my FFL, I didn’t send them in. But I did send them after I got a nasty letter from the ATF.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I understand that, but when buying a pistol, you file your paperwork (register) it with the state police.
    I'm going to have to agree with EM here. The PSP are only notified of certain transactions, and even with handguns, there are multiple legal ways to obtain one without the PSP knowing anything about it. Further, no additional action is necessary by you, when you dispose of any handgun, and those dispositions can also be legally done without PSP knowing anything about the recipient or their location.

I do know that the PSP are ignoring other parts of the law, in regards to the retention of all those records, and while I don't agree with their winning legal argument "It's not a registry because it's incomplete", that IS a true statement.

DC has "registration". They require a valid registration certificate for every gun that is purchased, sold, transferred, or possessed in the District. HI is a close second, but it appears they don't require dispositions to be documented, so you can move away, or sell interstate (forget the logistical nightmare there) and you aren't required to update them on the gun's location.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

I believe I filled out the pistol paperwork when I bought a shockwave.

(Berks County)

im pretty sure when i got my komrad there was no pistol paperwork required.

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post

^cdi beat me to it
    Thats what I meant. Its been a while since Ive discussed the procedure with a FFL.
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'm going to have to agree with EM here. The PSP are only notified of certain transactions, and even with handguns, there are multiple legal ways to obtain one without the PSP knowing anything about it. Further, no additional action is necessary by you, when you dispose of any handgun, and those dispositions can also be legally done without PSP knowing anything about the recipient or their location.

I do know that the PSP are ignoring other parts of the law, in regards to the retention of all those records, and while I don't agree with their winning legal argument "It's not a registry because it's incomplete", that IS a true statement.

DC has "registration". They require a valid registration certificate for every gun that is purchased, sold, transferred, or possessed in the District. HI is a close second, but it appears they don't require dispositions to be documented, so you can move away, or sell interstate (forget the logistical nightmare there) and you aren't required to update them on the gun's location.
    What about the form that supposedly goes to the state police? To me that would be a registry.
    FJB

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast