Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Oaks Gun Show Dec 16-18, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    How do you detect straw purchases when it's not as obvious as this one? If I was going to straw purchase for someone, I would go alone, bring cash, fill out the forms as I normally do, and then go home. Then a few days later deliver the guns. Is this not common sense?
    Asking for a friend? Have you never seen an attempt that got your attention? Male/female combo with the male telling the female which gun to buy? Another act that I witnessed was a guy on the phone, telling what was available. Call me anything you want but to me, those are most likely straw purchases and if I was the dealer, would decline their business unless I was coordinating with LE to let the sale go through.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    As for the attempted asinine straw purchase and the police; the incident happened towards the end of the show and quite frankly didn't have the time nor the inclination to deal with the authorities by then. Also, we don't have any real ability to detain anyone when they attempt a straw purchase. There have been some ATF and AG's Office people who have suggested that we let the straw purchase complete then notify the agencies but I'm NOT at all comfortable with that procedure. So as a result I just cut those attempted transactions at the start. I have had the AGs agents who have suspected illegal buyers under surveillance and when the transaction was completed the agents then asked for copies of the paperwork for their investigation. That's only happened a couple of times. At least with us. I know of some dealers who the AGs office station agents near their setups as these business are notorious for being frequented by questionable buyers.

We've gotten really good at recognizing the straw buyers for the most part. We've had a few go through that the buyers were very good at their mode of operation; but for the most part we are able to ascertain that this is an illegal transaction and just stop it before it really gets started.

As for Marines55's question: The makeup of the attempted straw buyers is approximately 50% Black (Younger and Urban usually), 25% Hispanic, and 25% White. VERY few to no Asians of any sort.
    And Marines55 gets blamed for my question. HA HA!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    Maybe scotsguard doesn*t want to answer this question on a public forum so that the criminals don*t get smarter.
    Maybe not, he could PM if he so desires or keep it to himself. I was just curious because he said he has become pretty good at spotting them.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Asking for a friend? Have you never seen an attempt that got your attention? Male/female combo with the male telling the female which gun to buy? Another act that I witnessed was a guy on the phone, telling what was available. Call me anything you want but to me, those are most likely straw purchases and if I was the dealer, would decline their business unless I was coordinating with LE to let the sale go through.
    Haha, yes a friend that has a beeping in his phone. Those seem obvious to me, I thought there was something a little more clever being done.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    Haha, yes a friend that has a beeping in his phone. Those seem obvious to me, I thought there was something a little more clever being done.
    LOL, you're giving those hoodrats too much credit.

(Philadelphia County)

I haven't seen any such activity while at a fun show but I did observe a thwarted straw purchase at a local shop.. female attempts to purchase an AK rifle right after her male companion walks out of the store.The salesperson asked the nice lady if she even knew anything about the rifle...long story short,he sent her on her way.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    And Marines55 gets blamed for my question. HA HA!
    LOL, I get blamed for it all. its been my life story.

(Westmoreland County)

Oops; That was Walleye. Sorry Marines55.

There are many clues sometimes when someone is attempting a straw purchase. Some are pretty obvious:
    1. Baby Daddy points to wanted firearm then walks away. Baby Momma then tells me she wants to buy that gun.
    2. Baby Momma's on the phone telling Baby Daddy which guns I have. Baby Momma then tells me she wants to buy two or three of them.
    3. Baby Daddy handles and inspects firearm. Then tells me he wants it BUT; Baby Momma will do the paperwork and PICS 'cause "It's
    really for her." Never mind that she didn't examine or handle said firearm.
    4. Baby Daddy stands behind Baby Momma while she starts to fill out forms telling her how to answer the questions. Usually I then start to
    play 20 questions with the two of them. After a few probing questions I get to the point that he's a prohibited person ("But that felony
    was 20 years ago and it wasn't a big deal.")
    5. Baby Momma's looking at a shopping list on her phone. This is the list Baby daddy gave her to look for.

There are sometimes more subtle hints but usually it's just a vibe you get. I've been doing this for 35 years and sometimes with certain people your Spidey Sense just kicks in.

Mostly I get it right though I'm sure I've missed a few and turned down a few sales that were probably alright. I'd rather not take any chances. I don't like the extra paperwork, the police calls or being called into court to testify.

We did have a funny mistake incident once. My Daughter was helping me at a show and was waiting on a young woman who was looking at her phone and asking do we have This gun or this gun or this gun. Pretty clear to me she was working from a list. I intervened and said I'm not comfortable with you going down a list off your phone and told her why asking from a phone list looks like she's shopping for someone else and it might be a straw purchase.
    She then showed me her phone. Website of some sort: 10 Best Guns For New Women Shooters. My daughter laughed at my red faced embarrassment, I apologized for my incorrect assumption, the young lady said no problem. My Daughter then proceeded to fit her with the right handgun. Oh well; we can't be perfect all the time.

(Delaware County)

There are many clues sometimes when someone is attempting a straw purchase. Some are pretty obvious:
    1. Baby Daddy points to wanted firearm then walks away. Baby Momma then tells me she wants to buy that gun.
    2. Baby Momma's on the phone telling Baby Daddy which guns I have. Baby Momma then tells me she wants to buy two or three of them.
    3. Baby Daddy handles and inspects firearm. Then tells me he wants it BUT; Baby Momma will do the paperwork and PICS 'cause "It's
    4. Baby Daddy stands behind Baby Momma while she starts to fill out forms telling her how to answer the questions. Usually I then start to
    play 20 questions with the two of them. After a few probing questions I get to the point that he's a prohibited person ("But that felony
    5. Baby Momma's looking at a shopping list on her phone. This is the list Baby daddy gave her to look for.

There are sometimes more subtle hints but usually it's just a vibe you get. I've been doing this for 35 years and sometimes with certain people your Spidey Sense just kicks in.

Mostly I get it right though I'm sure I've missed a few and turned down a few sales that were probably alright. I'd rather not take any chances. I don't like the extra paperwork, the police calls or being called into court to testify.

We did have a funny mistake incident once. My Daughter was helping me at a show and was waiting on a young woman who was looking at her phone and asking do we have This gun or this gun or this gun. Pretty clear to me she was working from a list. I intervened and said I'm not comfortable with you going down a list off your phone and told her why asking from a phone list looks like she's shopping for someone else and it might be a straw purchase.
    She then showed me her phone. Website of some sort: 10 Best Guns For New Women Shooters. My daughter laughed at my red faced embarrassment, I apologized for my incorrect assumption, the young lady said no problem. My Daughter then proceeded to fit her with the right handgun. Oh well; we can't be perfect all the time.
    Do they all have to be baby mommas ??? LMAO. Can some be non parents ???
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks! I enjoy learning about things like this. Although sometimes I look at a website when ordering guns because I can't remember the different model numbers.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast