Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Trap

(Delaware County)

Default Beginner Trap

What's a good shotgun for beginning trap? I'm thinking maybe going with a 20 ga to make learning a bit easier. I don't want to spend more than $1000.

The Mossberg Silver Reserve Eventide seems decent on paper. Anyone have one?

Default Re: Beginner Trap

12ga light loads. 870 is what I started off with. That was a million years ago, things have changed.
    FJB

Remington 1187 12ga semi-auto kicks less than a 20ga pump by a long shot. It's been my trap gun for 30 years.

https://store.thegundock.com/product...dw-bs-cyl-bore

(Montgomery County)

20 gauge will make learning harder (or at least worse scores). Less lead going down range will result in more lost birds.

12 gauge gas operated semi is my preference. I'd look at the Beretta A300 Ultima.

(Delaware County)

That's why I asked. I read some conflicting information on learning with 20 vs 12. Less felt recoil is definitely a plus. How reliable are semi-auto shotguns? I believe pump ones are quite reliable from what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzur View Post
    That's why I asked. I read some conflicting information on learning with 20 vs 12. Less felt recoil is definitely a plus. How reliable are semi-auto shotguns? I believe pump ones are quite reliable from what I heard.
    First, shooting trap is single shot only unless you're shooting doubles. You insert a single shell into the chamber, when then it's your turn you close the bolt. When you fire, the action automatically opens via spring, producing considerably less recoil compared to a pump action gun.

Second, as long as you keep your gun relatively clean, you should have no issues with semi-auto. Same 2 guns, 30+ years, thousands of rounds, and issues are extremely rare, even when shooting doubles. On occasion I load up 5 rounds and unload without issue with the 1187. Even my cheap guns can go 5, 10, or 20 rounds without an issue.

When semi-auto fails, it fails on the second shot, not the first. It's either failure to eject, or it ejects and fails to load the second round. So a failure would only ever come into play in doubles.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzur View Post
    What's a good shotgun for beginning trap? I'm thinking maybe going with a 20 ga to make learning a bit easier. I don't want to spend more than $1000.

The Mossberg Silver Reserve Eventide seems decent on paper. Anyone have one?
    My wife wore a Silver Resever out in two seasons { 12 gauge } but she goes through a flat a week , all year long ! you're better off with a Browning Bt 99 that fits you , they seem to last forever !
    DAN

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    First, shooting trap is single shot only unless you're shooting doubles. You insert a single shell into the chamber, when then it's your turn you close the bolt. When you fire, the action automatically opens via spring, producing considerably less recoil compared to a pump action gun.

Second, as long as you keep your gun relatively clean, you should have no issues with semi-auto. Same 2 guns, 30+ years, thousands of rounds, and issues are extremely rare, even when shooting doubles. On occasion I load up 5 rounds and unload without issue with the 1187. Even my cheap guns can go 5, 10, or 20 rounds without an issue.

When semi-auto fails, it fails on the second shot, not the first. It's either failure to eject, or it ejects and fails to load the second round. So a failure would only ever come into play in doubles.
    I would point out that a sure-fire way to become unpopular is to have a semi-auto without a shell catcher. It's incredibly annoying to find yourself popped with the ejected hull from the neighboring station. Actually, since beginners generally start with singles, a Mossberg 500 or similar economical pump will get you started. that's $100s vs. $1000s. Once you've decided you're having enough fun to keep it up, a decent single shot like a Browning BT 99 - fitted to you, will not set you back a fortune.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Franklin County)

I never looked super seriously into it, but check out the CZ Woodcock line. They're in the $650 range.

(Beaver County)

If you’ve never shot trap at all, I’d start with contacting a few of your local sportsman clubs to find out when practice night is and see if they have a loaner gun. More than likely they’ll have something you can borrow, or not guaranteed but there may be some old guy who would be willing to let you borrow his gun for a round or 2. For the cost of shells and round fees, you can find out of trap is for you.

I started with my Remington 870, after showing up to a couple practice nights and getting to know the regulars, a few guys let me try their trap guns, which included everything from the most recommended Browning BT-99 to a Perrazi MX8 which was by far my favorite trap gun but well beyond most budgets(including mine).

I ended up getting into sporting clays as well so I ended up buying a Browning Citori CXS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast