Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner Trap

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Beginner Trap

I'll point out that a rubber band around the receiver works as a budget shell catcher

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by spartakis252 View Post
    If you’ve never shot trap at all, I’d start with contacting a few of your local sportsman clubs to find out when practice night is and see if they have a loaner gun. More than likely they’ll have something you can borrow, or not guaranteed but there may be some old guy who would be willing to let you borrow his gun for a round or 2. For the cost of shells and round fees, you can find out of trap is for you.
    That sounds like a good plan. I think they may have some for member use at my local field and stream association.

(Northampton County)

Here is what I posted for a guy looking for a gun for his son.
    "Here is a cop out type of reply, BUT it is true. "Get him the one that fits." One that to short or to long to high or to low, I mean there are so many things that will make him hate it. But if it fits right he won't lift his head, and it won't kick the shit out of him, and then he'll have fun and do better, and have more fun Nothing more discouraging for a shooter is to go home with a bruised cheek, shoulder, and ego. I still smile at a bruised/sore shoulder, but the cheek sucks. And when you start anticipating the hurt, you'll lift your head and miss the target, now your ego is hit, and you don't come back. If you can find a reputable dealer that knows how to see if it fits him, and finds one that does, it matters little what it is. And trap guns are different then field guns, not that they are exclusive, just setup different. Going to a club is a great idea in that you will get a lot of advice, usually some not so good, but a lot. And if the crowd is nice after a little while you can try out other shooters guns and maybe find one that fits right. Chance of finding THE gun tomorrow is slim, but finding one that keeps him coming back is good.
    The guy that got me into it doesn't shot anymore. He left many nights with a big bruise on his cheekbone and just got away from it. He also had a long neck and I think if he had the raised comb he might have been more into it. I like my 11-87 or Remington's 870, but that may not fit your son but it is an economical starting point. And if he doesn't like it, there are lots of things he can do to that platform to make it fun somewhere else "

I started trap with a Mossberg 500. I used that for about 5 yrs.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

I am thinking about getting into trap myself. I grabbed a Mossberg $500 earlier this year.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDshoots View Post
    Here is what I posted for a guy looking for a gun for his son.
    "Here is a cop out type of reply, BUT it is true. "Get him the one that fits." One that to short or to long to high or to low, I mean there are so many things that will make him hate it. But if it fits right he won't lift his head, and it won't kick the shit out of him, and then he'll have fun and do better, and have more fun Nothing more discouraging for a shooter is to go home with a bruised cheek, shoulder, and ego. I still smile at a bruised/sore shoulder, but the cheek sucks. And when you start anticipating the hurt, you'll lift your head and miss the target, now your ego is hit, and you don't come back. If you can find a reputable dealer that knows how to see if it fits him, and finds one that does, it matters little what it is. And trap guns are different then field guns, not that they are exclusive, just setup different. Going to a club is a great idea in that you will get a lot of advice, usually some not so good, but a lot. And if the crowd is nice after a little while you can try out other shooters guns and maybe find one that fits right. Chance of finding THE gun tomorrow is slim, but finding one that keeps him coming back is good.
    The guy that got me into it doesn't shot anymore. He left many nights with a big bruise on his cheekbone and just got away from it. He also had a long neck and I think if he had the raised comb he might have been more into it. I like my 11-87 or Remington's 870, but that may not fit your son but it is an economical starting point. And if he doesn't like it, there are lots of things he can do to that platform to make it fun somewhere else "
    This is an excellent point. I still point out that a Mossberg can be readily, and fairly cheaply customized to fit the shooter. There are youth stocks available on eBay and other sites, stocks with adjustable LOP and drop, chokes for threaded barrels, and so forth. These can be used to make sure of a decent fit without spending a fortune. Once everyone is into trap, then you can start looking something from great fit to bespoke fit.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Bucks County)

Im no expert, but the game really is set up for *over and unders*, while shooting a few rounds with a what ya have*.. 870*s and 500*s is perfectly acceptable . The advantages of the O/U will quickly present themselves, particularly if it has removable chokes for versatility*.. (Nice older fixed choke gun can be had on the cheap!).

For a new shooter, I would hold out for a used Browning, Ruger, or Beretta. But Some of the inexpensive guns are looking very interesting! All these budget guns, had issues at some point, but from what I have read, most have been remidied, and present a good value. Im looking at picking up one of these guns for my step son to cut his teeth on.

Mossberg Silver Reserve:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/958218022

CZ Drake:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/961040793

Stoeger Condor:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/959421635
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Luzerne County)

When I started shooting 16 yard Trap, I used a Mossberg 500. It was what I had. I was able to adjust length of pull pretty easily. The other measurements not so simple but the gun worked and I started to hit birds. For my birthday in that beginning period, I took myself to Orvis Sandanona. Got myself fitted with a Try Gun and got to use some shotguns that I could not afford. Had some excellent instruction. Eventually, I ended up with a BT-99. I shot my first 25 straight with that gun. (Interestingly, I shot my next straight with an older Winchester model 59 with the Winlite barrel.)
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12