Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Good luck

(Berks County)

Default Re: Good luck

im fine with taking doe so saturday opener was a good day for me. got three doe but i didnt hear a lot of shooting.

(Lancaster County)

Not being a wise guy, but killing doe after the rut will end the Pennsylvania whitetail population !

(Lehigh County)

🤔 Pa.’s experiment of moving opening day for firearm deer season has been a failure | Opinion

By Randy Santucci and Dan Davila

The Pennsylvania Game Commission changed the most popular deer hunting weekend in 2019, moving a 60-plus-year tradition of opening day on the Monday after Thanksgiving to the Saturday after the holiday.

As Thanksgiving is the most travelled family holiday of the year, you can understand how that created problems for hunters with family conflicts. Additionally, hundreds of thousands of hunters travel considerable distances to go to camps and hotels -- this rushed time frame of two fewer days between the holiday and opening day breeds further contempt for the Saturday start.

Businesses en route to hunters’ final destinations were no longer patronized due to time constraints, and these small shops in rural northern Pennsylvania lost their Black Friday and Small Business Saturday -- for some their most profitable sales weekend of the year.

There was a compromise to put one of the newly approved Sundays in the following weekend, creating 13 continuous hunting days starting with the Monday opener. If you couldn’t hunt the Monday, you had a two-day weekend, just a few days away, but the PGC commissioners chose the quantum leap that divided hunters, rather than this more sensible and balanced approach. There was no deer management or biological basis for this change.

Initially, changing the Monday deer opener was opposed by a strong majority of hunters. This included an overwhelming 89% of opposition contacts directly to the PGC during the public comment period and an earlier hunter survey revealing 65% opposed. A myriad of other metrics was brought forth that historically guided PGC decisions, but five of the eight commissioners ignored them all. There was obviously more driving this decision than sound assessment of data.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/opi...outputType=amp

(Wayne County)

And with the Saturday and Sunday full weekend of hunting, why did the school systems here shut down on Monday?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    And with the Saturday and Sunday full weekend of hunting, why did the school systems here shut down on Monday?
    Maybe it's in the teachers' contract.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Car/Deer Hit on RT 196,8 point buck ! Mangled too bad for anyone to recover some meat !

(Lycoming County)

Took the daughter out Monday, since that's when I had off work, and she missed a spike about 0800. Saw a couple doe throughout the day and a coyote. A friend that was out at the same camp got a decent 10 point Monday morning as well.

I never got the animosity about starting Saturday. If you don't want to start hunting until Monday, don't then. Didn't seem to hurt us this year. I saw 4-5 deer throughout the day. Daughter almost got a buck and could have shot a doe or two.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Took the daughter out Monday, since that's when I had off work, and she missed a spike about 0800. Saw a couple doe throughout the day and a coyote. A friend that was out at the same camp got a decent 10 point Monday morning as well.

I never got the animosity about starting Saturday. If you don't want to start hunting until Monday, don't then. Didn't seem to hurt us this year. I saw 4-5 deer throughout the day. Daughter almost got a buck and could have shot a doe or two.
    I think that's great that you're teaching her that she doesn't have to shoot the first thing that comes by but wait for one she's rather have. Having a good shot to take also beats aiming and hoping.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I think that's great that you're teaching her that she doesn't have to shoot the first thing that comes by but wait for one she's rather have. Having a good shot to take also beats aiming and hoping.
    The Spike came in behind our stand. She actually tried to get a shot on it, but couldn't get comfortable with the angle. Good teaching lesson about not shooting, when you're not sure of your shot. She wanted to get a buck, so that's what we're going to wait for. Come the last weekend, meat deer it is though.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    The Spike came in behind our stand. She actually tried to get a shot on it, but couldn't get comfortable with the angle. Good teaching lesson about not shooting, when you're not sure of your shot. She wanted to get a buck, so that's what we're going to wait for. Come the last weekend, meat deer it is though.
    Yes sir! I have a buddy who used to hunt a lot until this year. I guess it's the end of that era for him. He hasn't brought anything home for a few years now but not because he couldn't have. He's as ethical a hunter as you'll ever find.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast