Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Holiday carry capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    How many of ya are expecting a fire fight?
    Reporting in, not expecting one and only partially prepared for one.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Many who regularly carry additional magazines do so as a remedy for magazine failure, not because they think they will likely need every round they have with them to win a gunfight.
    This ^^

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    Do you make any adjustments over the holidays on your daily carry or overall carry capacity?

I'm sure they're diehards here that always carry extra magazines but I generally just run a 15+1 configuration. With it being the holiday season I have been getting in the habit of putting an extra 15 round magazine in my pocket when we go out shopping.

I find it a little ironic that some here respond to this question with the same answer that antigunners use when asked why they don't carry a gun at all. E.g., "I'm not going anywhere where I'm expecting to get into a firefight/need a gun/is unsafe, etc."

Events have plainly demonstrated that:

1. Big events happen even in small, out of the way locations

2. Big events are also a known target of people who have issues

If you've ever taken any antiterrorism course, one of the first things that they teach is to avoid large crowds during important events, as they are frequently targeted. How many christmas parades or holiday markets have been attacked, whether by gun or vehicle? How many concerts or sporting events? These things make good target-rich environments for twisted people with twisted minds.

As such, whether it is Xxmas shopping at the mall, at a Xmas Village downtown Philly, or a fourth of July festival or county fair, I'm alswsys carring at least 2 magazines more than I normally do, for a total of 3, not including what is in my sidearm. Two extra mags doesn't take up any real extra space, nor does it add any appreciable extra weight. So, there is no real reason NOT to carry them.

Similarly, when I go out to most of these places, if carrying a daypack is appropriate, I'm also carrying some kind of a trauma kit with nitrile gloves, a couple tourniquets, some gauze for wound packing, and other gear to prevent severe bleeding. It, also, is too light to not carry.

I've had to provide first aid at middle school soccer games before, as well as other areas where most folks would consider the place to be "safe".
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    My ruger 57 is 20+1 that's my every day carry, but if I need to go somewhere I'm unsure of, I put my saturday night special in the ankle holster which gives me another 5 rounds, then my cz scorpion on a sling under my jacket which gives me another 30 rounds. IIIa plate carrier is easily concealable under my jacket as well, you'd think I just put on 20lb. Now if I'm going into the city, there's the m35a1 with top mount m1919 in 30-06 which gives me 2 boxes of 200 rounds, for added security.
    Adopt me please? 🤣 only so you can write me into the will lol…hey wait a minute, you have a college aged daughter… (dont hurt me &#129315

My standard carry is 13+1 and two spare +3 mags for a total of 40 rounds on my person. Now, the EDC bag may or may not have a second pistol/“firearm” that may or may not accept shareable 33/50 rounders that may or may not be in the bag with it and the Ifak

Theres usually always a spare 18rd mag or two in the jeep center console as well.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I find it a little ironic that some here respond to this question with the same answer that antigunners use when asked why they don't carry a gun at all. E.g., "I'm not going anywhere where I'm expecting to get into a firefight/need a gun/is unsafe, etc."

Events have plainly demonstrated that:

1. Big events happen even in small, out of the way locations

2. Big events are also a known target of people who have issues

If you've ever taken any antiterrorism course, one of the first things that they teach is to avoid large crowds during important events, as they are frequently targeted. How many christmas parades or holiday markets have been attacked, whether by gun or vehicle? How many concerts or sporting events? These things make good target-rich environments for twisted people with twisted minds.

As such, whether it is Xxmas shopping at the mall, at a Xmas Village downtown Philly, or a fourth of July festival or county fair, I'm alswsys carring at least 2 magazines more than I normally do, for a total of 3, not including what is in my sidearm. Two extra mags doesn't take up any real extra space, nor does it add any appreciable extra weight. So, there is no real reason NOT to carry them.

Similarly, when I go out to most of these places, if carrying a daypack is appropriate, I'm also carrying some kind of a trauma kit with nitrile gloves, a couple tourniquets, some gauze for wound packing, and other gear to prevent severe bleeding. It, also, is too light to not carry.

I've had to provide first aid at middle school soccer games before, as well as other areas where most folks would consider the place to be "safe".
    I don't even want spare change in my pocket.
    I can't imagine carrying all that crap.
    Probably why I don't carry anything most of the time. Unless I think there's gonna be trouble. (ha. kidding - about the last part)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

I have not changed my normal carry weapons (three main systems), but what I've done lately with the proliferation of Soros-installed DA's around the country is started to carry ALL THE TIME. Arguably I should have been all along, but it's the last year or a little more that I started carrying religiously. Even going to WaWa for gas and a hoagie, I'll pop a Chief's Special type revolver in my pocket.

Normal carry is a ghost gun I build on a P80 G26 size frame. 6+1 in the gun, 6 in another single stack magazine in a pocket. The important thing is to have a gun. If I am somewhere and feel under-armed with that setup, then I shouldn't be there in the first place, IMO. Danger can strike anywhere, per Sandcut's excellent post. But with a reasonable amount of range time, if I can't solve a self-protection problem with my little rig, I think the odds are extremely low that having a bigger gun/more ammo would have helped me solve it.

I used to be strictly a .45 guy (old codger), but with Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr FlexLock ammo (on their second FBI contract), I feel pretty satisfied with my little single-stack 9 setup. Practice and coolness under pressure are the key, not the amount of gear you carry.

P.S. I'm also not a "magic bullet" believer. I believe in range time. Two in the HVAC and one in the CPU usually solves all problems. But, I'm less particular about ammo in a .45, a bit more particular in a small 9mm, and ammo choice is critical in anything smaller, again, YMMV. Check out that round on Lucky Gunner, it's pretty impressive stuff.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Probably why I don't carry anything most of the time. Unless I think there's gonna be trouble. (ha. kidding - about the last part)
    I'm the same way. I bought an FN 509 compact to be my EDC because it's 17+1 and accepts the 24 round mags from my FN 509 tactical, but it got to be too much extra weight. I went back to my P2000SK at 10+1. In my opinion, a pistol is a means to escape. I'm not going on the offensive without a rifle and squad.

(Bucks County)

From the expended brass count I see on Philly TV it appears the First Class Citizens* are carrying hi-cap firepower delivered in suppression fashion making getting to the rifle dicey.

* First Class Citizens: Residents and visitors who are obviously exempt from gun laws.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Delaware County)

After Thanksgiving I carry an AT-4. Cause ya never know.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    But, that's just my point. All that extra can fit in a tiny fanny pack, a small sling bag, or a small hydration pack. I never go anywhere without a bottle of water, as I'm always thirsty. As such, I pretty much always have some kind of bag across my back. It really isn't that heavy and I don't have to keep all that crap in my pockets either. I hate over-stuffed pockets, which is why I don't wear BDU-style pants with thigh cargo pockets.

But, even carrying a small daypack is less shit to carry than what I have to carry daily in my survey vest for work. I really need a damn alpaca or burro to haul all that stuff!
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast