Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Black Friday Sale At Cabela's

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    New steel .50 cal ammo cans for $10. Don't know about the quality.
    The cans are fine for storage but the lids fall off really easily. I mean they are supposed to come off if you want them to but they fall off every single time you open the.

I use Cabela's cans for long term storage since I never open them and they are perfectly well suited for that. If you want a can to transport ammo to the range get an actual military can. Less annoying.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Guy View Post
    Cabela's is now owned by Bass Pro but they still use the name Cabela's. I haven't noticed much of a difference from before Bass Pro bought them out, they price gouge on their guns but they did that before they were owned by Bass Pro.
    Not always. I have bought 2 guns from Bass Pro. Specifically this Bass Pro.

Both were because they were the cheapest seller I could find. And that was before the military discount.

I have only been to 2 Cabella's and one Bass Pro. I really like the Bass Pro in Harrisburg and go there every time I am in Harrisburg

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    The cans are fine for storage but the lids fall off really easily. I mean they are supposed to come off if you want them to but they fall off every single time you open the.

I use Cabela's cans for long term storage since I never open them and they are perfectly well suited for that. If you want a can to transport ammo to the range get an actual military can. Less annoying.
    How is a military can different from the cans they sell at Cabela's?

I've got a bunch of the metal cans from Cabela's and I mostly use them for long term ammo storage, or if Im transporting lots of ammo to the range. If its less ammo Im transporting I will use a plastic box to do so.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    Not always. I have bought 2 guns from Bass Pro. Specifically this Bass Pro.

Both were because they were the cheapest seller I could find. And that was before the military discount.
    The Bass Pro in Harrisburg? Its the only Bass Pro that I know about in the state of PA. Cabela's is still Cabela's, they still have the same name even if they're owned by Bass Pro and they do have good gun deals from time to time, I've bought some guns from Cabela's although most of the time when Im getting a gun at Cabela's it will be a transfer not a purchase from the store since they only charge $25 for transfers which is a good deal, but most of the time with the guns at Cabela's you can get the same gun for a lower price at other gun shops or through online sales. From my experience with online sales you usually will get the best deals even when you do factor in the $25 transfer fee.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by tallbump View Post
    I have only been to 2 Cabella's and one Bass Pro. I really like the Bass Pro in Harrisburg and go there every time I am in Harrisburg
    I usually go there when I go to the NRA outdoor expo which is held in Harrisburg.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    New steel .50 cal ammo cans for $10. Don't know about the quality.
    I'd give the guy at the gun show $15/can before I bought that Chi Knees junk for $10.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Tioga County)

The Bass Pro in Harrisburg? Its the only Bass Pro that I know about in the state of PA. Cabela's is still Cabela's, they still have the same name even if they're owned by Bass Pro and they do have good gun deals from time to time, I've bought some guns from Cabela's although most of the time when Im getting a gun at Cabela's it will be a transfer not a purchase from the store since they only charge $25 for transfers which is a good deal, but most of the time with the guns at Cabela's you can get the same gun for a lower price at other gun shops or through online sales. From my experience with online sales you usually will get the best deals even when you do factor in the $25 transfer fee.
    Cabela's is still a separate brand but not the same after Bass Pro ownership. Cabela's used to have a quality line of clothes which Bass Pro junked in favor of cheaper stuff and their own line. Also the stores have gradually been realigned, where space for guns and gun stuff has been reduced in favor of goofy toys and other gimmicky shit.

In general their prices are always high retail prices, however, if you watch closely there is usually an excellent deal to be had on something.

(Allegheny County)

How is a military can different from the cans they sell at Cabela's?

I've got a bunch of the metal cans from Cabela's and I mostly use them for long term ammo storage, or if Im transporting lots of ammo to the range. If its less ammo Im transporting I will use a plastic box to do so.
    Are you serious?
    The cans from Cabela's (and literally everywhere else selling commercially produced cans) are made in CHI-NAH.
    They are not built the same way. They LOOK the same, and they aren't terrible, but I won't trust that gasket to hold a seal the way a true USGI can will.

Also, the hinge area is not built the same way, thus the lids falling off that was mentioned.
    I saw a few reviews on those cans that mentioned the exact same issue.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Are you serious?
    The cans from Cabela's (and literally everywhere else selling commercially produced cans) are made in CHI-NAH.
    They are not built the same way. They LOOK the same, and they aren't terrible, but I won't trust that gasket to hold a seal the way a true USGI can will.

Also, the hinge area is not built the same way, thus the lids falling off that was mentioned.
    I saw a few reviews on those cans that mentioned the exact same issue.
    So where do you get the military grade cans?

And BTW just because something is military grade doesn't mean its good. The Paul Howe Tactical Carbine, which is civilian grade, is better than the standard issue rifles that they use in the Army.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast