Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Everyone get their rifle ready for saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by scoutjoe View Post
    Been playing around with the .450 Bushmaster. Had a good subsonic load worked up with Unique but I'm running low on that powder. I decided to switch to Universal which seems to be an ok substitute. The trick is getting a subsonic charge to push a 275 grain JHP. The drop is something in the ballpark of 12-14" at 100 yards, so with a zero at 50 yards its about 4"-5" low at 100. Hunting in the woods doesn't really provide a shot beyond 100 yards, so minute of pie plate @ 100 yards is acceptable. Generally speaking the shoulder of a deer doesn't react well to 275 grains moving 1,100 fps so it does the trick.

The 30-06 and 8mm are both shooting silver dollar groups. Ya know in case I need to impress the tacticools by shooting the wings off a fly. I should be getting laughed off the range since the 06 is universally hated Rem 710 rocking the cheap Bushnell scope it came with.

But no I don't shoot anything but the shit.

I use a 45/70 in OH for deer due to the straight walled cartridge reg, and I've been really interested lately in going to a heavy barreled single shot and using the Federal subsonic 410 grain bullets. I'm shooting less than 100 yards, and that combination should tame down the 45/70 a bit compared to my current lighter weight lever gun supersonic cartridge combo. There is also a lot to be said about 410 grains of copper in the vitals of a deer.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRabbit View Post
    I believe the animosity comes from when the bolt/pump-action guys sell us downriver on gun control.
    you could be a weirdo like me who uses a troy PAR in 6.5 grendel. Looks like an AR but is a pump and suppressed. i just love the looks on peoples faces when they see me hunting with it cause it confuses so many.

(Clinton County)

Nope, getting my AR pistol ready this afternoon.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Lawrence County)

Well the .410 will be giving up about 300grs. of bullet weight to your .45-70. Most of the .410 slugs I've ever seen were 1/4 or 1/5 oz.
    For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Technically, CW III. The British colonists rebelled against the Crown in the 1770's for taxation without representation, the South rebelled against the central govt in the 1860's for outvoting them and forcing them into a captive market (restricting Southern exports of raw materials and imports of manufactured goods for the benefit of the industrial North), and the next would likely be against the globalist fraudsters who hijacked our government, media, and industries via blackmail and bribery.
    I agree with your view that the American war for independence could be referred as the CWI. I have often thought the revolution should be considered the First World War since the combatants where from two continents across an ocean, the English, French and to a lesser degree the Spanish and Dutch. Although most of the fighting occurred in North America. The Americans even tried an impromptu blockade of the British Isles with the Battle of Flamborough Head September 23, 1779, also many smaller skirmishes in European waters and throughout the Carribean

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger P229 View Post
    I use a 45/70 in OH for deer due to the straight walled cartridge reg, and I've been really interested lately in going to a heavy barreled single shot and using the Federal subsonic 410 grain bullets. I'm shooting less than 100 yards, and that combination should tame down the 45/70 a bit compared to my current lighter weight lever gun supersonic cartridge combo. There is also a lot to be said about 410 grains of copper in the vitals of a deer.
    Agreed, 275 grains does nicely. I have some 350-375 grain JHP that are made out of empty 10mm cases. I haven't used them on deer so I can't comment with authority. The recoil on the 275 grain load is about 4 ft/lbs according to Gordons reloading tool. I doesn't feel like more than a .22 behind the 20" barrelled Mossberg with the suppressor on the front end.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one out there chasing "big and slow"
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Wayne County)

Took my Browning hells canyon speed in 6.5 creedmoor out just to foul the barrel, yup dead nuts at 100. Buy good equipment and they*ll always be on target unless you do something stupid.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    I agree with your view that the American war for independence could be referred as the CWI. I have often thought the revolution should be considered the First World War since the combatants where from two continents across an ocean, the English, French and to a lesser degree the Spanish and Dutch. Although most of the fighting occurred in North America. The Americans even tried an impromptu blockade of the British Isles with the Battle of Flamborough Head September 23, 1779, also many smaller skirmishes in European waters and throughout the Carribean
    many would argue that the French & Indian War (AKA the 7 Years War) was the first ""world war"....involving North America, Europe, India, the Caribbean, South America, Atlantic, Pacific & Indian Oceans

(Bucks County)

.243 Ruger American compact for me. It*s been fantastic at the ranges I get to shoot here, less than 100 yards. And it*s easy carrying up/down hills.

(Chester County)

I performed my yearly check on my slug gun (the only gun we can hunt deer with in this area) yesterday. As usual, first shot at 50 yds was in the center of the bullseye, and that gun was put back in the case (deer hunting is almost always a cold bore shot). After that, several other toys came out. Highlight of the day was our 12 YO son shooting an AK for the first time. It brought smiles to everyone on the range.

Time to orange up and go outside - good luck to all, and be safe.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast