Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default M1 Carbine Repair/Mod Help - Monroe County Area

Well I'll make a long story short. I have an Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine I bought in January. It is a very nice repro based on a 1943 Saginaw. The first one I had and shot was tested at 25 yards and it shot 6" to the right. I tapped the sight as far as it would go and I was still 3" right @50 yards. I drove up to Greeley, PA (repair depot) because of Tommy Gun Warehouse which I wanted to see. Three trips later they finally gave me a new rifle as a replacement.

So the new rifle they gave me has magazine wobble so bad that if the magazine doesn't lock it it moves from front to back causing a failure to feed. My original one did this as well, but I was focused on the sight issue. I sent it back again, got the rifle back and "no problem found". Again, when I explicitly said IT's THE MAGWELL, not the magazines where I tried AO originals, KCI's and a USGI. They shot 10 rounds and said it worked fine. So they didn't do anything and I took it to the range and the first rounds didn't feed. So I'm done with Auto Ordnance/Kahr. Their repair facility is horrible.

I am looking for a gunsmith or repair person to either modify and fix the mag well so the wobble isn't so bad & the rifle is useable. I contacted Wolff Springs think a stronger spring would help since the mag well catch moves when the magazines rock which doesn't make sense. Wolff said they only have the stock springs.

So if anyone know someone that could help with this issue, it would be appreciated. If I don't find someone, this rifle will be gone.

Thx

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: M1 Carbine Repair/Mod Help - Monroe County Area

Not saying this is your issue but check how your magazine follower is positioned might need adjusting a bit. Many firearms that utilizes magazines have feeding issue and might need some attention!

(Bucks County)

they gave me has magazine wobble so bad that if the magazine doesn't lock it it moves from front to back causing a failure to feed.
    What did you mean by this? The magazine catch doesn't always lock? Does it have to be shoved in hard before it clicks? Look how far the magazine catch sticks out with no mag in it and make sure it is sticking out the same when a mag is locked in. If it only sticks out partially there may be a problem. Let me know if you think this is happening and I will check it on my carbines.

This could be as simple as fitting or replacing the mag catch. It might seem simpler to modify the mags but then they might not be seated in the proper position.

(Monroe County)

Thanks for the video, it is informative. But I have five magazines of various kinds as mentioned in my original post. I doubt that it is the follower because of the various 3 different types of mags. It is definitely a mag well issue. The mag well doesn't hold the magazines properly. I have to hold the magazine forward so it feeds properly.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    What did you mean by this? The magazine catch doesn't always lock? Does it have to be shoved in hard before it clicks? Look how far the magazine catch sticks out with no mag in it and make sure it is sticking out the same when a mag is locked in. If it only sticks out partially there may be a problem. Let me know if you think this is happening and I will check it on my carbines.

This could be as simple as fitting or replacing the mag catch. It might seem simpler to modify the mags but then they might not be seated in the proper position.
    It is definitely the mag well and not the magazines. I cant have 5 magazines that do the same thing. It locks in OK but wobbles back and forth (front to back). The mag catch moves with the magazine if it moves backwards and I have to hold the magazine in place most of the time in order to get it to feed properly. Kahr (AO) repair facility is terrible. Asked them explicitly to look at the mag well and they didnt. It is a brand new carbine. My original did the same.

Quote Originally Posted by fitz View Post
    It is definitely the mag well and not the magazines. I cant have 5 magazines that do the same thing. It locks in OK but wobbles back and forth (front to back). The mag catch moves with the magazine if it moves backwards and I have to hold the magazine in place most of the time in order to get it to feed properly. Kahr (AO) repair facility is terrible. Asked them explicitly to look at the mag well and they didnt. It is a brand new carbine. My original did the same.
    Start off with wood shims, if that works, make it permanent (material to be determined).
    FJB

(Elk County)

I would simply purchase a USGI M1 Carbine trigger guard along with a magazine catch, spring, etc. and just transfer the other parts from the POS AO trigger guard to the USGI trigger guard. Websearch "USGI M1 Carbine parts". You might avoid Numrich gun parts; at one time they were connected with AO if I recall correctly, and may have AO parts for sale.

(Bucks County)

Looked at my carbines. When you insert a mag it locks in with a loud click fully engaged. But if you push in on the mag catch and wiggle the mag there is a good bit of play. The mag catch actually has two springs in it. One for side to side motion to drop the mag but there is a spring loaded detent you can see from the bottom that pushes the mag catch into the mag and pushes the mag forward. I think that is where your problem is.

Pulling back on the mag does make the mag catch move by pressing in on the detent but if you release the mag should move forward. Pushing forward on the mag doesn't do much.

I would take the catch out and thoroughly inspect it and look for burrs. Make sure the bottom detent moves freely and there is enough spring pressure to push the mag forward.

(Lackawanna County)

Jc Blauvelt gunsmithing id my go to.

I have an auto ordnance I had to build up the rib on some of the cheap mags I have so they would feed right.