Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default 🚫 Another popular landscape shrub is headed for Pennsylvania’s banned list

😲
    [IMG=CONFIG]161927[/IMG]

Burning bush – a widely planted landscape shrub popular for its fire-engine-red fall foliage – has been deemed invasive by the state Department of Agriculture and will be phased out of sale in Pennsylvania.

The Ag Department’s Controlled Plant and Noxious Weed Committee voted to add burning bush as well as four species of privets to the state’s Controlled Plant and Noxious Weeds list as of Jan. 10, meaning those plants will be banned for sale in Pennsylvania garden centers and nurseries.

As with two other popular landscape plants that recently landed on the noxious-weeds list (Japanese barberry and flowering pear trees), the bans on burning bush and privets will be phased in.

“The grace period for these plants will be announced in January, along with procedures for retailers and recommended native alternatives for homeowners wishing to replace their shrubs,” said Ag Department press secretary Shannon Powers. “Homeowners will not be asked to remove bushes, but to consider replacing them and control the spread of existing shrubs.”

https://www.pennlive.com/gardening/2...outputType=amp
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: 🚫 Another popular landscape shrub is headed for Pennsylvania’s banned list

they need to spend their time getting rid of the multi-flora rose...........

Default Re: 🚫 Another popular landscape shrub is headed for Pennsylvania’s banned list

That popped up in my news feed yesterday. I posted on Facebook that I am getting one next Spring. If the government doesn't want me to have one, I probably need one

they should focus on the japanese knot weed , that shit takes over everywhere
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tallbump View Post
    That popped up in my news feed yesterday. I posted on Facebook that I am getting one next Spring. If the government doesn't want me to have one, I probably need one
    Probably need 2.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    they should focus on the japanese knot weed , that shit takes over everywhere
    https://www.agriculture.pa.gov/Plant...ious-Weed.aspx

Japanese Knotweed is on the list.

Eradication of invasive plants is not something quick and easy. Add into the fact that Agriculture doesn't have the resources or authority to tackle private lands there is no good answer.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Allegheny County)

Weird. There's been a privet hedge along the back of my yard since decades before we moved in and it doesn't spread.

Same with the burning bushes out front.

Barbury is great as a deterrent to break ins planted under windows. I hate that thorny shit, but never heard it was invasive.

Knotweed, while HIGHLY invasive, is not typically planted intentionally.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

My neighbors have them and I never noticed an issue with them...the bushes not the neighbors..lol

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    they need to spend their time getting rid of the multi-flora rose...........
    Yes that seems to be attacking my shooting range and wants to take over everything.