Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Need Help-Researching an custom? AK-74

Customer brought me a "custom" AK-74 to sell for him. Receiver is stamped: Morrisey, Inc. Bloomington, MN MOD AAM-74SF Cal 5.45x39mm SN AA6-0005xx It has a folding stock (no name on the stock)

Started doing some searching but not much of antything comes up to give me an clues to where else to go. Guess my google-fu is weak on this one.

He has changed out a lot of stuff Texas Weapon Systems Dog Leg rail, RS Regulate GKR-10MS handguard, Ultimak M1B gas tube, KNS adjustable piston, ALG trigger. Also has a Texas Weapon System handguard, Magpul and Circle 11 mags, WBP polymer handguard and all the other OEM stuff. Oh, also has a funky looking "flash hider" that is marked CTPE^A V-1 5.45/.223 Rem

Found a little stuff about Morrisey but nothing to give me an idea of what to ask for everything.

Thanks in advance if you can help shed any light on this rifle.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Need Help-Researching an custom? AK-74

So Morrsey Inc is a metal fabrication company. They make the Receivers, but not complete rifles as far as I knew. They were big time name for Receivers years ago. In the same boat of reference as Nodakspud & Childers.

What do you price a *custom*, (which is another name for *Built*), AK74? Well, we all know pieces together AR15*s don*t sell for as much as manufacturer*s ARs, so*. Remember, putting a bunch of aftermarket parts on a firearm, doesn*t look make it worth more. People don*t want someone else*s *Custom* build* they want their own!

AK prices went absolutely crazy several years ago. I*m still trying to figure it out as I could build them for about $250 in *05-*07, or people bought them for $350-$600, and who are the ones willing to spend 3X or 4X what they were then! (Just saying*) All that into account, the bulk number of standard AK74*s with folding stocks are selling for around $1100 now. Take it for what it*s worth.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Customer brought me a "custom" AK-74 to sell for him. Receiver is stamped: Morrisey, Inc. Bloomington, MN MOD AAM-74SF Cal 5.45x39mm SN AA6-0005xx It has a folding stock (no name on the stock)

Started doing some searching but not much of antything comes up to give me an clues to where else to go. Guess my google-fu is weak on this one.

He has changed out a lot of stuff Texas Weapon Systems Dog Leg rail, RS Regulate GKR-10MS handguard, Ultimak M1B gas tube, KNS adjustable piston, ALG trigger. Also has a Texas Weapon System handguard, Magpul and Circle 11 mags, WBP polymer handguard and all the other OEM stuff. Oh, also has a funky looking "flash hider" that is marked CTPE^A V-1 5.45/.223 Rem

Found a little stuff about Morrisey but nothing to give me an idea of what to ask for everything.

Thanks in advance if you can help shed any light on this rifle.
    Morrissey makes good AK-47 and AK-74 receivers. I believe Rifle Dynamics uses or used their receivers in their builds. The receiver isn't expensive - about $70. At one point Atlantic Firearms sold kits comparable to a WASR 10 using the Morrissey receiver. They still sell their AK-47 receivers. Pricing is going to be hard without knowing who built it originally. Did they do a good job wit the rivets? Is the head-spacing correct? An entry level custom AK-74 could easily start at $1500 and go up from there. One from Rifle Dynamics or Krebs is going to be over $2k. But if this was a kit that was home built, it could just be worth $700. The add-ons ad some value. Hard to say how much.

At the end of the day, if you're looking to the Morrissey name to denote whether this rifle is worth more than another, it doesn't make a difference in this case. Just base the price on a comparably configured AK-74 on the market.

(Centre County)

Thanks for the replies - I can say that it IS NOT a home built AK-74, the seller bought it new and now I have to find out where he got it from.

Good info about the receiver, thank you it helps a lot. From what I can see the receiver was very well put together.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member