Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Jury Duty selection from voter rolls?

While I feel like I should know this, are jury duty selections made from voter rolls?

This topic came up as I was discussing jury duty with one of my employees and he mentioned that he had gotten two notices for jury duty. His first name was spelled correctly on one of the notices, but a slightly different spelling was on the second notice. Both were sent to the same, correct address on the notice. So when he would go to vote, and give them his name with no DL verification, right after him in the voting log book would there then not be a listing for the misspelled phantom voter? I know that after a certain time voting rolls are purged with no activity of a voter, but if say you had a list of misspelled voters, could someone show up and vote for that phantom? Hypothetically of course.

If there are processes to prevent this, I guess that is what I am asking.

Further info, he called the jury duty number and they said, hmmmm, looks like an error. But do they go back and inform the voter list? And this is from Allegheny County for a jury selection

(Berks County)

Default Re: Jury Duty selection from voter rolls?

yes they are from the county voter rolls along with the DMV records.

(Bucks County)

My wife isn't registered to vote. I don't like it, but it's her choice. She has been called for jury duty 3 times in the past 10 years.

I have been voting for 45 years, had jury duty 3 times. Once served on criminal trial 2 days, second time was in the pool but they didn't choose me out of the 60+- taken into the court room. Got out of it this spring while some asshole judges required masks. I told them I wouldn't wear one, jury worker exempted me right away.

Bottom line, jury selection is not only from a voter registration list.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    yes they are from the county voter rolls along with the DMV records.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim8300 View Post
    My wife isn't registered to vote. I don't like it, but it's her choice. She has been called for jury duty 3 times in the past 10 years.

I have been voting for 45 years, had jury duty 3 times. Once served on criminal trial 2 days, second time was in the pool but they didn't choose me out of the 60+- taken into the court room. Got out of it this spring while some asshole judges required masks. I told them I wouldn't wear one, jury worker exempted me right away.

Bottom line, jury selection is not only from a voter registration list.
    ^ x3 My wife tells me that she served on a jury many years before she finally registered to vote, so I believe it must come from both DL's and voter databases
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Delaware County)

Learning something new. Was always under the impression jury pool was drawn exclusively from registered voters and the reason some people don't register to vote is to avoid jury duty. In any case, can green card holders and other legal non-citizens sit on a jury? I think this is checked when registering to vote but certainly not for a DL. In some F'd up blue states, I thing even illegals can get a DL.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    Learning something new. Was always under the impression jury pool was drawn exclusively from registered voters and the reason some people don't register to vote is to avoid jury duty.
    I've lived in a different state where jury duty candidates were pulled from a source other than voter registrations.

In any case, can green card holders and other legal non-citizens sit on a jury?
    Not legally. One of the rights of citizenship is the right to sit on a jury. That right is not legally available to non-citizens.

(Bucks County)

I get called up just about every time I renew my driver's license.

It could just be a coincidence.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Chester County)

I've been called for jury duty twice in the past 40 or so years. Once in Delaware County and once in Chester County. I never sat in on the actual case in either time. In Delaware county I was excluded by the insurance company lawyer when he asked me if I knew what insurance fraud was. I said yes, it's when you pay the insurance company premiums for many years and when you have a legitimate claim they deny it and make you sue to get them to pay. In Chester County they never called me for the case and told me I was free to go. I told them I was always free to go.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo1VooDoo1 View Post
    oth were sent to the same, correct address on the notice. So when he would go to vote, and give them his name with no DL verification, right after him in the voting log book would there then not be a listing for the misspelled phantom voter? The one who has been voting democrat I know that after a certain time voting rolls are purged with no activity of a voter, LOL not if you live in Delco, and not even if you die here, you stay on the voting rolls because its Racist to purge them but if say you had a list of misspelled voters, could someone show up and vote for that phantom? sure Since No voter ID is required anyone could vote in that phantoms name Hypothetically of course. Not really hypothetically, this happens

If there are processes to prevent this, I guess that is what I am asking. maybe, but are the people running the elections really looking to
    "do the right thing"?

Further info, he called the jury duty number and they said, hmmmm, looks like an error. But do they go back and inform the voter list? And this is from Allegheny County for a jury selection

my responses in red
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I get called up just about every time I renew my driver's license.

It could just be a coincidence.
    In the twenty years since I've been back in PA. I was called once. When I checked in, they said I wasn't needed. I was never called in VA. in 25 years. I was really hoping to get called for one of the Bobbit trials, in which both were found not guilty, or the DC Sniper trials.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast