Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Jury Duty selection from voter rolls?

3 summons back, the phone told me all jurrors and all alternates needed to come in.

I was alternate number 6xx and the guy in front of me in a room that holds less than 150 people was alternate 7xx. I sat there all day waiting for them to drag one of the many hundreds of scofflaws in to face their reckoning. Not a single one in over 9 hours sitting.

Now I don*t do jury duty because I*m afraid of the law. I do it because my Momma raised me wrong believing in duty, honor and such foolishness.

But damn! A guy sitting in that room as alternate 6xx can*t help but feel like just a bit of a chump.

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Property taxes in Sussex County, DE are very low. My taxes are only $351.00 per year. But in addition to the low taxes, senior citizens over 65 can also send in a form and their property taxes are then cut in half.

I don’t know how the County selects jurors – DL licenses and/or voter registration - but two of my neighbors sent in the form for the tax reduction and almost immediately received jury duty notices. Perhaps a coincidence, perhaps not. Nevertheless, I never sent in my form because I wasn’t taking a chance for a mere 175 bucks.

But you can be excused from jury duty if 70 years old. I’ll be 70 in 3+ weeks and will be sending in my form. Afterall, that will buy me seven 30 packs of Coors.

I get nailed every few years. I have been on 3-4 juries, and I'll tell you something.
    The level of ignorance, emotional reaction and outright stupidity of the average juror is truly astonishing.
    In retrospect, It mirrors the intelligence of our so called elected officials.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Bucks County)

The level of ignorance, emotional reaction and outright stupidity of the average juror is truly astonishing.
    Like a not guilty of attempted murder by stabbing (survived) victim in the back three times?

Or, guilty of a burglary but not guilty of receiving stolen property?
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Like a not guilty of attempted murder by stabbing (survived) victim in the back three times?

Served on one jury...attempted homicide. To give the accused a fair hearing requires an exhausting level of focus and attention. Normally, if you're sitting in a work meeting, you can zone in and out...think about what you need to grab at the store on the way home or whatever and just sort of act interested and participate here and there as needed. Not on a jury and in PA you can't take notes.

I was a prosecutor selection because I'm a military and law & order Republican type and going in, my private bias was leaning guilty. After all the evidence was presented over four grueling days and we received the Judge's instructions however, we ended up with a not guilty verdict. We arrived at Not Guilty based on the elements of the law the judge said must be satisfied. For all intents and purposes, the defendant was guilty, but when you factor the overriding element of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt and other elements and there's a scintilla of reasonable doubt, you must find not guilty.

I know there's stupid and biased juries and jury nullification, but for a fair and reasonable jury, this is the reason the outcome isn't always what it seems it should be.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Delaware County)

I'm standby no 375 for the Monday after Thanksgiving.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Wayne County)

I*m lucky, I have a Lackawanna Co. (Moscow) mailing address on my drivers license thanks to the USPS but live in Wayne Co. I get my notice for jury duty from Lackawanna and then I need to make the call to tell let them know I live in Wayne. I*m excused every time, go figure.

(Lehigh County)

I got called twice in Lehigh County. Once was for a slip and fall by a delivery person in a restaurant kitchen. I opined that he should have had enough situational awareness to not have it happen. Excused. The second time was when I was around 72. I said I was willing and mentioned my age in the reply. They told me not to bother.
    NRA Life Member

(Monroe County)

I have been called 3 times, twice I was overseas and excused, once I made it to jury selection and less that 24hrs later dismissed because the Prosecutor cut some deal with the defense lawyer. The wife was called a few days ago and got all excited and was looking forward to it until I told her she wasn't eligible ( Not a US citizen). I figure when I am fully retired I will be called a few more times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post

The defendant was physically assaulted by his landlord in the rented domicile, without provocation.
    He slapped his landlord in the face to stop the assault.
    The landlord just happened to be a female ex girlfriend who was evicting them without due process or just cause after finding out he had recently gotten engaged.
    Alleges the defendant pistolwhipped her with a Hi-point 380 and fabricated hearsay evidence.
    One of the jurors was a single crazy cat lady in her late 40s "A man should NEVER hit a woman!!!" would not budge on the A&B charges, finally 2 other women convinced her the defendant was legally within his rights to defend himself from spurned ex lover.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast