Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Another 80% Lower finished.

My first one was rough, i used one of those $35 2 axis rigs with a regular drill press and end mill. It took about 12 hours. Then I spent money on a proper mill, a wen mini mill, looks like the xd2. Still have the 450w motor, but I haven't stalled it once. Infinitely easier and under 2 hours and much better quality, just a matter of methodology and practice. Have experimented with different things, made up some nice mounts and various other pieces. I swear it goes through mild steel the same way it goes through 6061.

I'm a hobbist machinist, among other things. I have probably every tool known to man, and love making things. Tractors, cars, guns, etc. I love to learn and love my projects.

(Delaware County)

Yes, the Wen is identical to the Sieg X2D. Amazing what just a couple hundred bucks will do to it. Never buy the ready made kits. Don*t spend the money on the belt kit when you can make your own Cog Pulley/belt system for a fraction of the price. Same with motors. Sure, little machine shop can sell you their 500Watt motor setup for over $700! I can show you a 750-1000Watt & even 1400Watt 220v Brushless motor with controller, for a fraction of that price!

Yessir! Designing & Building projects are the most fun I get to have anymore. (No tractors though..for me, it was swap Tractors with street bikes! But no more, since I was disabled in 2014) Just Guns & Custom Knives & machining small parts like firing pins, Titanium Bolt Knobs, etc. Just mostly that now.
    Last edited by DavidH; November 18th, 2022 at 01:18 PM.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

One of my favorites is the ultra low profile optic mount for the ps90. They make them, they're ballparking in at $130. And it's litterally a block of aluminum. I cut off a piece of bar stock and milled it, drilled it, tapped it, painted it, and mounted it in a couple of hours. And I learned new skills in doing so. The main reason I did it was because no one made one for the holosun 510, and the stock mount you get a chin weld on the stock instead of a cheek weld it's so absurdly high. It's still high, but it's as low as possible now.

https://fnspecialties.com/ps90-low-p...red-dot-mount/

This is what the stock mount looks like:

This is what I made:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    It*s not cost effective, if that*s what you mean. No, this isn*t something I recommend people just jump into on a whim. I*ve followed the 80% market with AR*s, AKs, 1911 & striker Pistol frames since it*s inception.. about 2010. I didn*t start doing them until 4-5 years ago, because things took that long for the lowers & frames to become the really high quality they are now. 8 years ago, many of them weren*t so good. Dimensions weren*t always very good, so parts didn*t fit well all the time. They were only using 6061 in the first years for Billets, etc.

So, no.. not for just anyone. I*m a hobby gunsmith/builder & machinist. I*ve spent years acquiring many machining tools, bits, & such. I*m also a custom Knifemaker, and most knife makers like making/building their own things.

I*m sorry, polish it? Which pics are you referring to? The 3 unfinished lower pictures aren*t mine. They are simply from Google, & one is in the Raw*no anodizing. Only the pics from the first post are mine. It*s just been finished, has dirt smudges, fingerprints dust from my work room all over it. But polish? No, I don*t polish my AR*s. Or any of my firearms for that matter. I clean them and slather *em with oil. If I haven*t shot them in awhile & the oil evaporates, I lube them up again. The AR*s that is. I run them wet. My carry pistol & my bench gun don*t get drenched in *erl.
    The one in the middle (raw aluminum) looks rough.
    FJB

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    Yours look better than mine. I wanted to look into a home cerakote kit. Right now mine are unfinished. My next one I'm going to not hit the sides of the jig until I'm all the way down, then make a long pass against the walls. I don't have an exotic kit, just a mill off amazon. I only use 7075 as well, don't want to mess with 6061. They run real well though.
    Try a Dremel tool with a sanding tube or a chainsaw sharpening bit. It can deburr and smooth out the sides pretty nicely. I prefer a shiny aluminum finish on mine, so I clearcoat the inside with spray enamel & bake a bit after taping up the outsides.

7485186B-CCE2-4544-BE84-F8D4B25EF5D1.jpg

001C287A-D9FA-4852-9D03-FE0E9808AB4C.jpg
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    The one in the middle (raw aluminum) looks rough.
    Yeah, that*s how they come if you get them in the Raw. That is how they look before Anodizing. The surface is actually perfectly smooth. Just the machine marks from the CNC machine.

(Cumberland County)

Gentlemen, very impressive!

I'm a big believer in the mastery of our chosen discipline. Many guys I see at the club wince when casting my own bullets comes up. I tell young newer shooters to learn how to take theirs firearms apart, know how they work. Why they did not work when they don't.

I thought about giving this a try but decided just getting more gun club time comes first. Good year in that regard.

All of you, I appreciate your craftsmanship.
    Obama. AYFKM?! / Pravda vit'azi.

(Delaware County)

Here*s that Lower with an Upper installed. I love precision fits! These two fit so nice, there is barely any space between the two halves. Can just see a spec of light when held up in front of a bulb. Haven*t shot it with a couple new parts yet. The Surefire WarComp Flash Hider. Although I*ve been using Surefire*s 3P Eliminator Flash Hider exclusively for like 6+ years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12