Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: FTF Handgun Purchase issues.

Oh and as someone who has bought and sold various things on Craigslist and eBay for years here is what you can expect to hear from the seller....

1) Nothing. Dude will disappear and never respond again. Your number and email are already blocked so he doesn't even have to hear you complain.

...or...

2) You will get an innocent sounding message saying "I had no idea! It must have been bad from the factory originally! I will do some investigating and get to the bottom of this!" and then he'll string you along for a couple months if you ask for updates with "I spoke to the manufacturer and they are still researching this for me. Hold tight!" until either you get bored and give up or it's been so long that you can't even take legal action anymore.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by KPShooting View Post
    If a used "middle tier" handgun is $1900, what the heck is a top tier handgun in your book?
    $2900, $3500?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the ad said "like new", then that's a false statement if the gun was extensively modified.

That's not even debatable.
    But speaking as a lawyer....

How hard do you think it would be to prove that in court? How long would it take? How much would it cost to put a case together even for small claims court? What are the odds of winning with only his original post from here and the manufacturer's write up of the repairs as evidence?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    Okay this is a good option 3 to my suggestions earlier.

Threaten to sue him. Sound scary.

Tell him you know his name and address because he signed the FFL forms. Tell him you have a report from the manufacturer showing the modifications and that you have consulted your lawyer about how you have a good case. Tell him you will sue for the repair costs, court costs, process server costs, and your time and it will run into the tbousands.... but you'll settle out of court for the repair costs in cash.

I don't think it will work. Scammers usually know you're bluffing. But if it's first time being a scumbag he might crack.

I still don't think you should actually sue him. Too much time. Too much energy. Too much money at risk with court costs. And not nearly enough of a slam dunk case to make it worth it.

But bluff him on suing...sure. Why not?
    Probably doesn*t help the bluff that all this is on a forum that the alleged scammer has access to*

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lshaw View Post
    ...They cannot warranty the gun since it*s been opened and worked on. Im stuck Bc they can*t give me the gun without putting it back to stock spec...
    Anyone else have an issue with this? They can absolutely give it back to you, sounds like the garage that told my daughter, "We really can't let you leave with those brakes that worn, it's required we replaced them." She called me and I told her, "Put that asshole on the phone."
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    $2900, $3500?
    Gold plated, no doubt.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    Gold plated, no doubt.
    H&K SP5, Swiss made P210
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

I dont think im going to hear from the seller. If he were actually apologetic he would have responded by now via text. Theres not way you missed my 2 paragraph texts and forgot respond etc.

Small claims court or the threat of would be prob be most effective way to get his attention. But as stated above points to prove in terms of condition, deniability, manufacturers reliability, etc. Not worth the trouble. Because....The manufacturer was actually nice and wiling to work with me as i had to prove my recent purchase to them and proof of ownership.
    Last edited by Lshaw; November 17th, 2022 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    Okay this is a good option 3 to my suggestions earlier.

Threaten to sue him. Sound scary.

Tell him you know his name and address because he signed the FFL forms. Tell him you have a report from the manufacturer showing the modifications and that you have consulted your lawyer about how you have a good case. Tell him you will sue for the repair costs, court costs, process server costs, and your time and it will run into the tbousands.... but you'll settle out of court for the repair costs in cash.

I don't think it will work. Scammers usually know you're bluffing. But if it's first time being a scumbag he might crack.

I still don't think you should actually sue him. Too much time. Too much energy. Too much money at risk with court costs. And not nearly enough of a slam dunk case to make it worth it.

But bluff him on suing...sure. Why not?
    People that threaten to sue are the most unlikely to actually sue someone, if someone is going to sue they just do it. No need to give the other person a heads up about it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Anyone else have an issue with this? They can absolutely give it back to you, sounds like the garage that told my daughter, "We really can't let you leave with those brakes that worn, it's required we replaced them." She called me and I told her, "Put that asshole on the phone."
    I know what youre saying. But i think its a liability thing? They opened the gun up, and how will they put it back together? No way they would give a gun back thats not in their spec. In my opinion.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast