Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Luzerne County LTCF Application - Turn Around Time, Reference Questions?

Hey guys! Just moved to Luzerne County not too long ago and applied for my LTCF online. I just wanted to know if anyone has an idea on the turn around time. Also, if anyone knows if they check the references and if the reference must be in county or must be in PA.

I know the law says about these things that the Sheriff's dept. has 45 days to do the check for the app, and there is no law saying anything about references, just that the PSP is supposed to design the app and for whatever reason they chose to add the references section, and some counties check them some don't and some require certain things, all that BS....I just want to know what everyone's experience is for Luzerne county, thanks!!!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Luzerne County LTCF Application - Turn Around Time, Reference Questions?

As far as I remember, the turn around is pretty quick. Can't give you a definitive number of days. I've never had any references contacted and references do not have to be from the same county or even from PA.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Luzerne County LTCF Application - Turn Around Time, Reference Questions?

Gotcha. Cool then, should be smooth sailing.

(Luzerne County)

Update: It was just approved. However, they need me to come in to have my photo taken and my signature recorded and then to pick it up. Thing is, the next time I can come pick it up is January 25. That’s dumb. Apparently they’re too backed up to do it sooner. I don’t understand though. How long does it take to take a picture and then have someone sign something?

(Luzerne County)

Yeah, I don*t like the new system because you have to make that appointment.

I liked the old system where you walked in with your application and walked out 15 minutes later with your LTCF.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Yeah, I don*t like the new system because you have to make that appointment.

I liked the old system where you walked in with your application and walked out 15 minutes later with your LTCF.
    I just don't understand why it would be so backed up. How long does it take to get a picture taken and sign something? When I lived in Tennessee, they had access to the photo and signature from your driver's license, they would just upload that and mail you your permit!

(Luzerne County)

FYI, they are not allowed to delay it for more than 45 days. See the thread linked below for details and a handy email template you can use to press the issue. I realize this thread is old, but for anyone else that encounters the same problem. Under the statute they are required to physically issue your permit within 45 days. Their lacking of logistical efficiency to triage all of the applications does not authorize them to impose any additional delay upon you than the maximum time frame that is allotted to them under the law. Press the issue, they have to give you your permit within 45 days of receipt of your application, unless they are denying you for a lawful reason.

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=387183