Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Recommend a good snake shot revolver?

I hate snakes. Period. Generally i’m a “leave it alone it’ll leave you alone” guy but snakes are a different story. Especially snakes in the desert (reason for this post). Im looking to move to AZ or somewhere in that southwest US area, better weather. BLM land for camping, gold and mineral mining…maybe try my hand at panning once…

I need a recommendation small, easily carried, reliable revolver for snake shot. Lightweight and dont you dare suggest the Taurus Judge (friends dont let friends buy Taurus). Something with enough “oomph” to drop a diamondback and whatever other reptiles at 5-10yds. Recoil is a concern, so probably nothing larger than 38spc or 45lc/.410 (even thats a stretch)

I know its not ideal. Ideal would be a 12/20ga with Hydra slugs to send the snake back to hell. Which is likely to be close by.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Recommend a good snake shot revolver?

Just offering a third hand perspective - a coworker of mine has lived in Tucson, AZ for most of his life and goes out into the desert here and there with friends on quads, ATV's, etc and have never once mentioned ever needing(or wanting) protection from snakes. They carry for plenty of other reasons (illegals, larger wildlife that may be out there, etc.) but never heard of snakes being a motivator.

Other consideration, it gets ungodly hot down there in the summer.
    -Brandon

(Bucks County)

Most places out west if you shoot a snake, lizard, spider, you just committed a crime. Food for thought.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Most places out west if you shoot a snake, lizard, spider, you just committed a crime. Food for thought.
    Hmmm sounds like PA

Out of the Hunting digest
    Protected Mammals
    Wild mammals not classified furbearers or game
    animals (For example, chipmunks are protected)
    Reptiles are regulated by the fish & boat commission, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have a similar stance
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; October 30th, 2022 at 02:23 PM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Chester County)

If you just want a seviceable .38 spl. revolver these are on gunbroker from Gideon Tactical in Coatesville, PA. They will ship or you can pick up in person and save the shipping fee. I've dealt with Gideon before and they are good to go.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/953830734
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/953831293
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/952320325

I used to have an old 70s/80s Charter Arms 38…id love to find another one honestly (or equivalent). The feel of it, that thing was point and shoot. No sights required. Oddly its the only revolver i’ve owned that i actually liked. The ruger L series wasnt anything special, the 22’s were just that

Other potential threats, i will still have the glock and/or ar pistol nearby

(Susquehanna County)

Overall I'd say a good .38 Spec. or .357 Magnum. Don't be afraid or used either a S&W Model 10 police trade in will likely be a fine buy! Personally I like the "heavy barrel" type you should be able to find some for a reasonable price. If you want to buy new Take a look at the S&W model 67 or 66 for .357 or go big and get a 627 in .357 N frame 8 shot! I **** 4" barrels for all these but really anything is good.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Overall I'd say a good .38 Spec. or .357 Magnum. Don't be afraid or used either a S&W Model 10 police trade in will likely be a fine buy!
    That's where my mind went too....LEO trade S&W. Most of what I see these days is from overseas and beat though, so you'd have to be selective.

Depends on budget though. I am a fan of the Ruger GP100, or the old Speed/Security lineup, if willing to spend a little more.

If after a 38, I'd buy a 357 so you have the flexibility to use either. Especially in today's world with ammo shortages, etc. Just no reason to limit yourself unless you get a smoking deal on a 38.

I have been seeing a lot of older s&w mod 36? I think it is Lately. Around 350-400 usually and in fair shape for age. They handle nice but i cant decide and need a comparison

Any S&W or Ruger .38 special or .357 should be fine for snake shot. I have a 6" S&W that I use for shooting sn...uhh...stumps in the creek running through our property. I'd never shoot one of the nasty assed water snakes in there though. That'd be illegal. Since you won't be shooting snakes at any long distances, a short barrelled one would work, and could double as a concealed carry piece if needed.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast