Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $2000

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: $2000

Of the 3 you listed I*d go Les Baer.
    Today was a good day!

If it ever comes to market, buy a Dan Wesson DWX. 1911/CZ-75 hybrid.

13.jpg

I don't see any point to buying an expensive, semi-custom or custom, 1911. It's been my experience that the fancier they are, the less reliable they are. My first 1911 started life as a Springfield GI model. It ran great for many years of IPSC competitions. As time went on, it got upgraded and slicked up, and as nice as it was, it was no longer as reliable as when it was just a plain old GI model. Lots of other 1911 shooters at those matches in the 80's. All of them had similar issues with their race guns. Just like the CZ guys at USPA matches. Now they're running Staccatos and having the same issues because the guns are just tuned to the bleeding edge. My wife's Springfield TRP, OTH, runs like a top. That's about as much as I'd ever spend on a 1911.

Of those listed I'd go with the Dan Wesson. I picked up a safe queen 2002 build Wilson CQB, with less than 50 rounds through it from the classifieds here about 10 years ago. Best $1800 I ever spent on a gun! My Springfield TRP had about 15 thousand rounds through it, but it, and the other 1911s rarely see daylight since I got the Wilson.

I have Glocks, classic P series Sigs that I carry sometimes, (and some revolvers), but the 1911 has been my favorite handgun since I shot my first one in 1966 at Parris Island. Yeah, I'm a dinosaur I guess.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    Of those listed I'd go with the Dan Wesson. I picked up a safe queen 2002 build Wilson CQB, with less than 50 rounds through it from the classifieds here about 10 years ago. Best $1800 I ever spent on a gun! My Springfield TRP had about 15 thousand rounds through it, but it, and the other 1911s rarely see daylight since I got the Wilson.

I have Glocks, classic P series Sigs that I carry sometimes, (and some revolvers), but the 1911 has been my favorite handgun since I shot my first one in 1966 at Parris Island. Yeah, I'm a dinosaur I guess.
    I'm 32 and want to drop this kind of coin in a 1911... It's a timeless platform. Maybe we're both dinosaurs at heart.

And that's a solid deal on your Wilson.

I keep going back and forth but slightly leaning Dan Wesson.

(Montgomery County)

None of the above. Spend it all on classes at the Sig Sauer Academy.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

Ever think about finding a nice original GI ?

(Bucks County)

Have you seen these?

https://fusionfirearms.com/freedom-series-reaction

While not in the same class as the Wilson, or Les Baer*. I have at one time or another had one of all the major manufacturers*.Colt, Kimber, Sig, S&W, Ruger, Springfield, etc*.. And was shocked how nice the fusion was right outta the box*. The slide pulls Like glass, and locks up like a Swiss watch*.. maybe I got an anomaly, but it is the sweetest 1911 I own.
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I'm 32 and want to drop this kind of coin in a 1911... It's a timeless platform. Maybe we're both dinosaurs at heart.

And that's a solid deal on your Wilson.

I keep going back and forth but slightly leaning Dan Wesson.
    Classic pistol in Southampton just got a few in...prices around 1600 to 1800...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    If it ever comes to market, buy a Dan Wesson DWX. 1911/CZ-75 hybrid.

13.jpg

I don't see any point to buying an expensive, semi-custom or custom, 1911. It's been my experience that the fancier they are, the less reliable they are. My first 1911 started life as a Springfield GI model. It ran great for many years of IPSC competitions. As time went on, it got upgraded and slicked up, and as nice as it was, it was no longer as reliable as when it was just a plain old GI model. Lots of other 1911 shooters at those matches in the 80's. All of them had similar issues with their race guns. Just like the CZ guys at USPA matches. Now they're running Staccatos and having the same issues because the guns are just tuned to the bleeding edge. My wife's Springfield TRP, OTH, runs like a top. That's about as much as I'd ever spend on a 1911.
    Yeah...IF it ever comes to market...wish they would revisit it

Quote Originally Posted by Pag23 View Post
    Yeah...IF it ever comes to market...wish they would revisit it

At least it's back on Dan Wesson's site after they announced last winter that they were discontinuing marketing for the gun. Supply chain issues and whatnot have delayed it, but hasn't killed it, yet.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast