I hope this is received as it is intended, just to provoke thought and dialogue so we can all learn. I don't think there is a correct answer that fits all of us.

What is most important to keeping you and yours safe? Is it the correct firearm, martial art ranking, fitness level, experience, or just what? Is there something else?

The physical tools are certainly important, but possession of them alone won't likely save you.

In my opinion, it's a combination of real world experience and the willingness to do violence without hesitation. Couple that with never fighting "fair" and using distraction to your advantage. Appear less than you are. Real badasses are not impressed with "air lats", puffed up muscles, tight shirts or menacing stares. Some of the worst fights of my life were little guys who appeared "less" than me. I was very wrong.

I have been in more than my share of confrontations over my lifetime. I have prevailed mostly due to my willingness to do what was needed. To be clear, I'm not taking credit for it as I believe it is a God-given quality and I don't think we should take credit for that. I have only tried to maximize what was given to me. That's also not to say I'm Superman...I'm just an average guy. A guy who's getting old.

As a reforming gear-aholic, I have to try to resist the newest, latest stuff. I catch myself thinking the latest firearm will make up for my shortcomings. It won't and I know it, but I still look at them.

To finish, I am not claiming any expert title in anything and just offering my opinion.

What are your thoughts on this topic? Add whatever you think it appropriate.