Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default Opinions on Ruger SP101

I am considering one in .357 Mag. Thoughs, opinions? I think I like the hammerless style.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...=5720&return=Y

This will be my first handgun. I have MANY long guns and have been around firearms my entire life, but never owned a handgun. I am not looking for something to blast through a bunch of ammo at the range with and I don't really think I need high capacity. I am looking for something to CC once in a while, have by the side of the bed and something I can carry in the woods with me. I am thinking the .357 Mag might be a good choice. Fairly big power when I feel I need it and still able to be loaded with .38 and .38 birdshot (for summer trips to the woods in rattlesnake and copperhead territory).

Think this revolver will fit the bill, based on what I want to use it for?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Opinions on Ruger SP101

That'll work good for you. SP101's are fine pieces.

(Blair County)

I owned one several years ago.

They are heavy for a snubby. This gets to be an issue of you are trying to pocket carry one. Also, they are slightly larger than a Smith J Frame, which means that the most commonly available snubby holsters don't fit.

With full power .357s, the recoil is stout. Like, your hand will hurt for two days after a box of ammo stout. This can be mitigated with larger grips, but then you are compromising concealability, which is the primary advantage of a snubby.

Also, you have all of the disadvantages of the snubby, without the same lightweight and concealability. Among those disadvantages are the short sight radius, low capacity, and the fact that they require a fair amount of practice to achieve and maintain proficiency.

For what you described, and in a .357, I would look at a 4 inch GP 100 or a Smith 619 or 620. Slightly larger package, but a more shootable revolver, with larger grips for better handling. Yes, they are slightly heavier, but you now have a eliminated most of the disadvantages of the snubby. And they are much more pleasant guns to shoot.

Just some opinions.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DPB View Post
    For what you described, and in a .357, I would look at a 4 inch GP 100 or a Smith 619 or 620. Slightly larger package, but a more shootable revolver, with larger grips for better handling. Yes, they are slightly heavier, but you now have a eliminated most of the disadvantages of the snubby. And they are much more pleasant guns to shoot.
    Or maybe the 3-1/16" SP101. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...=5719&return=Y It gives up very little as far as concealability over the 2-1/4". No factory hammerless/DAO option though.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DPB View Post
    I owned one several years ago.

They are heavy for a snubby. This gets to be an issue of you are trying to pocket carry one. Also, they are slightly larger than a Smith J Frame, which means that the most commonly available snubby holsters don't fit.

With full power .357s, the recoil is stout. Like, your hand will hurt for two days after a box of ammo stout. This can be mitigated with larger grips, but then you are compromising concealability, which is the primary advantage of a snubby.

Also, you have all of the disadvantages of the snubby, without the same lightweight and concealability. Among those disadvantages are the short sight radius, low capacity, and the fact that they require a fair amount of practice to achieve and maintain proficiency.

Just some opinions.
    I have a SP101 2.25" in .357. Personally I have to disagree a bit here. I have the Hogue Monogrip on mine and I can tap off a 100 or more .357 rounds with no problem in one outing. Good enough accuracy for a self defense situation as well.

In a Blade Tech Ultimate Concealment IWB holster (tuckable) it conceals well, coupled with a Beltman gun belt and it stays put very nicely too.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I have a SP101 2.25" in .357. Personally I have to disagree a bit here. I have the Hogue Monogrip on mine and I can tap off a 100 or more .357 rounds with no problem in one outing. Good enough accuracy for a self defense situation as well.

In a Blade Tech Ultimate Concealment IWB holster (tuckable) it conceals well, coupled with a Beltman gun belt and it stays put very nicely too.
    soberbyker,
    Thanks for your post and pics. That just sold me on this ruger.

I went to three shops today after work and the best price I can find is $420.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by COVEJEEPSXJ View Post
    soberbyker,
    Thanks for your post and pics. That just sold me on this ruger.

I went to three shops today after work and the best price I can find is $420.
    I bought mine from a PAFOA forum member (FTF) for less about a year ago (maybe less). Shop around, of course mine was made in 1986 and it was used. It is a great gun though, sturdy.

Good Luck,
    Bill

(Lancaster County)

420 is a good price. If I didnt already have one, Id buy it. Im sure people will chime in and tell you they can get it cheaper but from what Ive seen 420 is good. IMO its a great gun and once you get used to handgun shooting and use a good grip you will be able to shoot it all day long.

I've had mine for about 18 years, and it works flawlessly. It is always with me where ever I go. I got mine before they had the bobbed hammer version and had mine done at a gunsmith. Then they released that model too. Now it has a matte finish, smoothed edges and a nice trigger job. You can't go wrong with an SP 101.

After my brother bought his, I have benn trying to save for one.

He bought the hammerless also

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast