Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Chester County)

Default Re: UPS and FED EX new rules

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    It's pretty easy to thumb one's nose at some company's "policy", BUT, federal law requires that you disclose the package contents when shipping a firearm, so "secretly" shipping a gun is actually a crime, not just an "F U" to the carrier.

The notification law does not apply to shipments from non-FFLs to FFLs (eg repairs, customization, etc).

18 USC §922(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.
    Unfortunately the new "tariffs" do not allow for non-FFLs to engage in firearm shipments even though they are in accordance with Federal & state laws.
    IANAL

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    The notification law does not apply to shipments from non-FFLs to FFLs (eg repairs, customization, etc).
    Thanks for the clarification.

I wonder how complicated (and expensive) the process for compliance is, and how they'd respond to someone with an 03 FFL instead of the 01?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Washington County)

I recently shipped a handgun back to the manufacturer for warranty work via FedEx. I got a pre-printed label from the manufacturer. Went to a shipping store, put it in a box and handed it over with no issues. Got it back in a week via a FedEx delivery to my house. Signature required. I'm not an FFL. I think the key was a label directly from the manufacturer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234