Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default 😲 Jumping worm, potentially the next invasive garden threat, confirmed in 35 states

💀 The end is near! Scientists say the jumping worm has been in North America since the 19th century but has only recently been flagged as a problem.

Just when you think you’ve become accustomed to the spotted lanternfly invasion, along comes another menace to the ecosystem: the Asian jumping worm.

Allow me to introduce you to Amynthas agrestis, also known as “Alabama jumper,” “Jersey wriggler” and the rude-but-accurate “crazy worm.” Unlike garden-variety earthworms, these flipping, thrashing, invasive miscreants are ravenous consumers of humus, the rich, organic, essential top layer of soil formed by dead and decaying small animals, insects and leaf litter in places like forests, plant nurseries and your garden.

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/na...f-cea49b6510ec

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 😲 Jumping worm, potentially the next invasive garden threat, confirmed in 35 stat

Been around here for years.
    Some years are worse than others. Last season they were HORRIBLE - every lawn I cut showed signs of them and it became a bit of a challenge to mow when the "ground" starts changing shape.
    I'm hearing that the drought this year kept a lot of them from hatching - I didn't see ANY up until a few weeks ago.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: 😲 Jumping worm, potentially the next invasive garden threat, confirmed in 35 stat

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Been around here for years.
    Some years are worse than others. Last season they were HORRIBLE - every lawn I cut showed signs of them and it became a bit of a challenge to mow when the "ground" starts changing shape.
    I'm hearing that the drought this year kept a lot of them from hatching - I didn't see ANY up until a few weeks ago.
    Bring back DDT or spray some of the kung flu virus vaccines on them probably accomplishes the same thing🤗

(Lancaster County)

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

I took a bunch of pics and video of them flipping around, and the mounds of castings (poops) last year.
    Looks like I never uploaded them.

It's worse in lawns near forested areas - the castings become so prevalent that it feels like you're sliding on mud as you mow.
    Occasionally, the mower will begin to scalp the lawn in areas where that should not happen because of the amount of worm poop that builds up, creating a high spot where the blades come in contact with the "ground". It's crazy.

All you have to do is move aside some leaves in the woods, and there they are.
    I'm told that they spread rapidly because when you or an animal steps in the castings, their eggs get picked up and transferred to other areas.

Is there literally nothing from Asia that is not highly invasive/destructive?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lehigh County)

I took a bunch of pics and video of them flipping around, and the mounds of castings (poops) last year.
    Looks like I never uploaded them.

It's worse in lawns near forested areas - the castings become so prevalent that it feels like you're sliding on mud as you mow.
    Occasionally, the mower will begin to scalp the lawn in areas where that should not happen because of the amount of worm poop that builds up, creating a high spot where the blades come in contact with the "ground". It's crazy.

All you have to do is move aside some leaves in the woods, and there they are.
    I'm told that they spread rapidly because when you or an animal steps in the castings, their eggs get picked up and transferred to other areas.

Wow their 💩 has that much of an affect crazy!

(Philadelphia County)

....they send us the very few living creatures that they don't eat.
    Last edited by Krichardson; October 19th, 2022 at 08:58 AM.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Lehigh County)

(Berks County)

Meh, looks like a nightcrawler to me, my most favorite fishing bait.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

They were good for fishing, you put the hook through that whiter spot and it stayed.
    FJB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast