Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: AR’s built for accuracy, let’s see them.

Definitely possible. However, always at the wind*s mercy with 223. Here*s an *almost mirror of that load. 75gr OTM & Varget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Wv7sXLkqM

Edit: In the video he*s using 75gr OTM, not ELD-M.
    Last edited by DavidH; November 23rd, 2022 at 08:26 PM.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    What is your velocity at the muzzle to stay super at 1000 yards?
    It's more than velocity. You need a bullet with high BC. I shoot a Hornady 75 Gr. ELD-M which has a G7 BC of 0.235 W/ my 22" Barlein barrel I get a MV of 2850 FPS. At 1000 yards the bullet is travelling at 1259 FPS. At my atmospheric conditions this is Mach 1.13. In my experience you start entering a transonic zone 10% above Mach 1. My muzzle velocity is measured by my Labradar Chronograph. Furthermore, dope data every 100 yards from 300 to 1000 yards verify my ballistic model (BC & MV).

For comparison, when shooting a Hornady 75 gr. BTHP which has a G7 BC of 0.17 (this is my BC number as Hornady only publishes a G1 number), my velocity at 800 yards is 1238 FPS (M = 1.09). I could shoot at 800 but not hit anything at 900. Clearly instability as the bullet approaches Mach 1 was the culprit.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    2800fps will keep you just above super sonic at 1K yards. Which is what his 24gr of Varget is gonna produce, more or less.

I use JBM Ballistic calculator & G7 Coefficient instead of G1. (More real world)
    Spot on. 24.0 grains of Varget is my load and gets me 2850 fps in my 22" Bartlein. Marginally compressed and close to a max load, but I would go up to 24.5 grains if I had to. As in all load data, this is my data and may not work for you.

As I said in my previous post, it will be supersonic, but only with a high BC bullet.
    Last edited by MMH; November 23rd, 2022 at 03:07 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Although I*m not gonna comment on using the term *Reliable hits* at 1000yds with 223. Could be different thinking on *Reliable* I guess.
    OK - maybe not reliable but can we agree on great fun & economical? You certainly learn how to read the wind and when you move to a 308 or 6.5 wonder-anything it feels like cheating. For comparison, w/ a 10mph wind at 1000 yds. a 5.56 drifts 100" as compared to 63" for a 6.5 Creedmore.
    Last edited by MMH; November 23rd, 2022 at 02:23 PM.

(Chester County)

What I have seen is the 75 eld-m is too long for AR mag length, what did you do make them fit?

(Westmoreland County)

What I have seen is the 75 eld-m is too long for AR mag length, what did you do make them fit?
    My rifle has a Compass Lake Engineering (CLE) chamber. This chamber has a shorter throat but with a more aggressive lead than a Wylde Chamber. It is specifically designed to shoot long bullets loaded to magazine length. I load 75 gr. ELD-M bullet to a COAL of 2.23 (max mag. length is 2.26) w/ a base-to-ogive distance of 1.821".

Rifle is magazine fed & 100% reliable.

(Westmoreland County)

Definitely possible. However, always at the wind*s mercy with 223. Here*s a mirror of that load. 75gr ELD-M & Varget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Wv7sXLkqM
    No idea how he is making hits at 1000 yards. He is shooing a 18" barrel and zooming in on his dope chart/ballistic table his MV is 2650 FPS which seems about right. He also said he is shooing a Hornady 75 gr. BTHP. This means that at 600 yards his velocity is 1295 FPS and he is entering the transonic area. At 1000 yards his velocity is down to 927 FPS and he is comfortably subsonic. Maybe the bullet stabilizes once it gets through the transonic zone (+/- 10% of Mach 1). Most bullet don't but some do.

As far as wind drift, w/ a 10 MPH wind at 1000 yards his load would drift 174". He was shooting in a heavy wind with big gusts. Not saying that making the hits he was making in those conditions w/ that load is impossible, but, I just would have to see it myself to believe it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    No idea how he is making hits at 1000 yards. He is shooing a 18" barrel and zooming in on his dope chart/ballistic table his MV is 2650 FPS which seems about right. He also said he is shooing a Hornady 75 gr. BTHP. This means that at 600 yards his velocity is 1295 FPS and he is entering the transonic area. At 1000 yards his velocity is down to 927 FPS and he is comfortably subsonic. Maybe the bullet stabilizes once it gets through the transonic zone (+/- 10% of Mach 1). Most bullet don't but some do.

As far as wind drift, w/ a 10 MPH wind at 1000 yards his load would drift 174". He was shooting in a heavy wind with big gusts. Not saying that making the hits he was making in those conditions w/ that load is impossible, but, I just would have to see it myself to believe it.

Yes, we do agree on your previous. As for the video* He did manage 5 hits. But that was a 24* X 36* target. His spread was like 30*, which is 2.86MOA. Could also see when the wind kicked up the bullets were being swung far right or left of target. And he did say at the end it was his THIRD attempt at 1000yds with 223, so it*s like you said learning to read wind. Fun* YES! Dingin* steel is so much more fun than punching paper.

(Delaware County)

Reason I prefer the 75gr OTM*s, like the video.

(Westmoreland County)

Reason I prefer the 75gr OTM*s, like the video.
    OK, I plead ignorance. What is an OTM?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast