Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: AR’s built for accuracy, let’s see them.

Damnit. Now I gotta go dig them out of the ar side of the safe.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post

Lower left is from my last range day.

(Delaware County)

I made this 200 yard key fob with it.

(Monroe County)

My National Match CMP service rifle.

93412153_1624706074349508_7297392307714654208_o.jpg

Stripped RRA OEM 2nd-$80 & lower parts assy kit.
    Geissele Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced (SSA-E) Trigger
    A2 Free Float forestock and butt stock and lead weight-
    MAGPUL UBR Gen1 stock and buttpad, White Oak Sling Mount, and internal lead weight for balance.
    AR-STONER A3 stripped and part kit Upper and charging handle
    TROY lever ext bolt release
    Toolcraft Ni Boron BCG
    Vortex Ranger 1-4x24 scope and 2" offset mount.
    DPMS Gas Block Single Picatinny Rail and stainless gas tube.
    WHITE OAK ARMAMENT preban Shilen Ratchet 1-7.5 Twist Service Rifle bbl, 5/8x24 flash hider
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I built, or shall I say assembled this particular AR for one purpose, accuracy. The rifle is mostly Spike’s and first thing I bought was the barrel. A Spike’s branded lothar-walthar LW-50 stainless barrel. Here’s the parts list.

Lothar-Walthar 16” LW-50 stainless, 1/8 wylde chamber poloygonal rifling
    Spike’s lower/upper
    Spikes BCG
    Timney single stage trigger
    ALG V2 15” rail
    B5 sopmod
    ADM 30mm scope mount
    Vortex Viper 4-16x44

Took a while to find what it likes best, after loading a bunch of different loads I’ve found a good one, seems to really like the 77grn SMK’s the best so far.

Great looking build. I’ve been using one of those ADM Recon mounts on my bench rifle for last 7 years. Started with 30mm rings, and just went to 34mm for the new scope this year. Nice that they can swapped vs needing another $200-$400 mount. It’s always worked well.

I’m of the same opinion as General Geoff. Aren’t all AR’s naturally accurate? I think you need to make a consorted effort to MAKE them inaccurate.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    Great looking build. I*ve been using one of those ADM Recon mounts on my bench rifle for last 7 years. Started with 30mm rings, and just went to 34mm for the new scope this year. Nice that they can swapped vs needing another $200-$400 mount. It*s always worked well.

I*m of the same opinion as General Geoff. Aren*t all AR*s naturally accurate? I think you need to make a consorted effort to MAKE them inaccurate.
    For the most part they*re all accurate, some will be more accurate than others. That*s what a built, a more accurate than other AR.
    Today was a good day!

(Delaware County)

Well, of course. I was being facetious.
    Rack grade barrels.. The run of the mill 1:7-1:9 4150 M4 & Government barrels will still deliver between 1-2MOA. Then there are a host of the more refined class of AR barrels. Both Chromoly & Stainless and using the either 5.56 or Wylde chambers, they sell in the $200-$300 or so price range. These will easily get you into SUB-MOA groups with reloads, provided all other supporting parts are high quality. The higher prices of these in Stainless & Wylde chambers, using worked up reloads can even see Sub 3/4-1/2MOA in these guns. But to get into the truly accurate zone... to compete with Bolt guns and see consistent 1/2-1/4MOA from an AR requires more. Need one of the a Top Line, barrel only companies like White Oaks, or even better, one from Bartlein, Shilen, etc. Also a matched Bolt Head. Expect to drop $500, $600 or more on the barrel. Obviously needs a Target trigger with extremely light pull. Even the 3lbs is still WAY too heavy for these kinds of groups. Lastly, worked up reloads are a must to be a consistent 3/8MOA or better performer. This applies to Bolt guns as well, although more so with AR’s. Little more difficult to get them into this extreme accuracy grouping game. Might do all this and still see 1/2” groups at best. That extreme accuracy threshold is just so difficult to be consistent.

I’m more than ok with breaking Sub-MOA. I’m not a competition shooter, so teeny tiny little groups at 100yds isn’t really fun. Shooting paper ain’t really fun at all anymore. Steel at distance is pretty fun. Unfortunately, need to be a member at one of several places here in PA to even get to 1000yds, much less out to a Mile. I do miss Arizona. Other problem ever trying to search for extreme level accuracy with an AR, it loses its “battle ready” standing. Just with the trigger alone. No way would I be carrying around an AR with a 1lb trigger. I don’t even like the 3lb drop ins. No, I like my AR’s for their ready to do anything, and still hit a small target at 700yds accuracy. But the extreme accuracy I leave to my Bench rifle & 140+ gr. .264” pills.

I do enjoy seeing the super built AR’s though. The thought that goes into them is very cool. Still my favorite rifle of all time.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    Well, of course. I was being facetious.
    Rack grade barrels.. The run of the mill 1:7-1:9 4150 M4 & Government barrels will still deliver between 1-2MOA. Then there are a host of the more refined class of AR barrels. Both Chromoly & Stainless and using the either 5.56 or Wylde chambers, they sell in the $200-$300 or so price range. These will easily get you into SUB-MOA groups with reloads, provided all other supporting parts are high quality. The higher prices of these in Stainless & Wylde chambers, using worked up reloads can even see Sub 3/4-1/2MOA in these guns. But to get into the truly accurate zone... to compete with Bolt guns and see consistent 1/2-1/4MOA from an AR requires more. Need one of the a Top Line, barrel only companies like White Oaks, or even better, one from Bartlein, Shilen, etc. Also a matched Bolt Head. Expect to drop $500, $600 or more on the barrel. Obviously needs a Target trigger with extremely light pull. Even the 3lbs is still WAY too heavy for these kinds of groups. Lastly, worked up reloads are a must to be a consistent 3/8MOA or better performer. This applies to Bolt guns as well, although more so with AR*s. Little more difficult to get them into this extreme accuracy grouping game. Might do all this and still see 1/2* groups at best. That extreme accuracy threshold is just so difficult to be consistent.

I*m more than ok with breaking Sub-MOA. I*m not a competition shooter, so teeny tiny little groups at 100yds isn*t really fun. Shooting paper ain*t really fun at all anymore. Steel at distance is pretty fun. Unfortunately, need to be a member at one of several places here in PA to even get to 1000yds, much less out to a Mile. I do miss Arizona. Other problem ever trying to search for extreme level accuracy with an AR, it loses its *battle ready* standing. Just with the trigger alone. No way would I be carrying around an AR with a 1lb trigger. I don*t even like the 3lb drop ins. No, I like my AR*s for their ready to do anything, and still hit a small target at 700yds accuracy. But the extreme accuracy I leave to my Bench rifle & 140+ gr. .264* pills.

I do enjoy seeing the super built AR*s though. The thought that goes into them is very cool. Still my favorite rifle of all time.
    I*m fine with 1/2* groups, if I want better I*ll use my built Rem 700 6.5. I can still rely on this rifle if I had to, it*s not a so-called match grade only rifle, it*s an AR capable of shooting 5 shoot 1/2* groups if I do my part.
    Today was a good day!

(Bucks County)

Inbox cleared!
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I*m fine with 1/2* groups, if I want better I*ll use my built Rem 700 6.5. I can still rely on this rifle if I had to, it*s not a so-called match grade only rifle, it*s an AR capable of shooting 5 shoot 1/2* groups if I do my part.

What are your favorite reload recipes for both your 223 AR & in the 6.5 for group accuracy? What powder & bullet combos you finding work best?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast