Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Threaded muzzle brake adapter?

Hey Troops,

I got a bit of an issue, figured I would ask, before I booger it up….

I have an AR pistol in 300 blackout that I want to switch out the deadair Keymo muzzle brake with a tri-lug I put a wrench on the brake and was able to unscrew it, but was surprised to find a step up thread adapter from the barrel thread to the brake….. I have a washer/shim in there that was used to time the brake…. So I’m sure there is an adapter in play.

I tried red locktight, let it sit overnight, and added a little heat, and the brake continues to spin off the adapter…. I am about to go to a pipe wrench to remove the adapter, but would rather not destroy it in the process…. I thought about drilling a hole in the brake, and sticking a pin
    In, but I’m no machinist… and the deadair brakes are pretty stout.

Is there some cool old timers trick for avoiding the gun butcher route?

Thanks!
    Fred
    Last edited by 1096369fred; October 18th, 2022 at 02:53 PM.
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

Default Re: Threaded muzzle break adapter?

As soon as you put heat to it you destroyed the locktight. If you had a jam nut that may help remove the adaptor. I'd try a strap wrench if you have one.

(Berks County)

you could try rocksett, link may not be the best price though
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100705036

(Bucks County)

Thanks guys!

I*ll try the red without heat first*. Rockset next*. And pipe wrench if all else fails! I am sure the barrel is threaded to 5/8x24*. But not sure what the muzzle brake is threaded*. I hate to lose it*. But maybe I could order another adapter*. My other brakes all seem to be one piece units*. So maybe I got this one used somewhere*.
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1096369fred View Post
    Thanks guys!

I*ll try the red without heat first*. Rockset next*. And pipe wrench if all else fails! I am sure the barrel is threaded to 5/8x24*. But not sure what the muzzle brake is threaded*. I hate to lose it*. But maybe I could order another adapter*. My other brakes all seem to be one piece units*. So maybe I got this one used somewhere*.
    i have thread adapters on two of my rifles cause they have some weird thread pitch. i used the rocksett to keep them in place for my suppressor mounts. i havent had any issues with the adapter unscrewing.

(Bucks County)

Victory!!!!

Thanks guys, the red locktite, with no heat did it! Not sure what I was thinking*. Just always in the habit of using a little heat when changing out muzzle brakes*. Didn*t even think I was shooting myself in the foot by doing so! I am Definitely going to rock set this puppy in, so it won*t be an issue in the future!

Thanks much for the help!!!!
    F.