Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Default Re: Girlfriend hates CC

Is your latest piece of ass worth your life?????

my wife was not accepting of guns initially. i explained they were a part of growing up (target shooting) and something i really liked. initially it was "one handgun and one shotgun, and that's it." i'm at five now, and growing.

when i started to CC i didn't tell her, but she knew i had the license as i explained that any responsible gun owner should. i told her i didn't plan to carry all the time, but that i needed to get comfortable with it as a safety issue, so it would be second nature for those times i would need to carry. within a year she is now completely accepting of it. what happened to change her mind? a few break-ins in our safe suburban neighborhood certainly helped. however, i also "normalized" it. i am not outwardly obsessive over guns, but i explain that i'm a guy, and guns and cars are my equivalent to shoes and makeup (and i am very understanding about her shoe collection). a gun magazine is her cosmo. would she rather i'm checking out women in Maxim?

ultimate sign of progress is that now and then when we're out she'll randomly be like "i wish you had a gun on you" if it's late at night and we end up in a sketchy area... i just wink and tell her "you know i'm always prepared." at this point it's not an issue.

have reasonable conversations to defeat stereotypes. show her your interest in guns is simply a hobby you really like, and that cc is a simple precaution in a crazy world. why not? i think in the back of her mind she just wants to be sure you aren't someone who's waiting for the black helicoptors 24/7 (look around

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyDad View Post
    Have you tried hitting her ??

Sorry, bad joke from another thread.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF4i View Post
    Did you try hitting her?
    Quote Originally Posted by In the Doghouse View Post
    you missed the boat....
    No I didn't...He asked, "have you tried hitting her??" and I asked, "did you try hitting her" as in did you use his advice. You missed the boat.

(Montgomery County)

I love bringing back threads...so please excuse me...but, just to pass along good news:

Today she looked at my .38 and said, "Wow, that's a small gun, if I ever bought one I would get something like that. [sarcastically] Do they come in pink?[/sarcasm]"

"Why yes hunny, they do, would you like a pink grip or a pink frame? "

"Well, I'm not buying one, but, I guess I really should learn how to use yours, I mean, if something happens and I have access to a gun, I don't want to just stand there like an idiot and not know what to do."

I unloaded it and let her play with it a little bit.

She hasn't whined a single word in years about my carrying (except that she really wants to do a road tour of New England - including visiting friends in Mass. - and I was like "eugh" to the idea of touring the backwoods of Maine/NH without a firearm because I had to do more than pass through Mass).

No range trip yet, but with time and patience all is possible. I've got some of her friends/girlfriends on board for a range trip, so, hopefully this summer.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by In the Doghouse View Post

No range trip yet, but with time and patience all is possible. I've got some of her friends/girlfriends on board for a range trip, so, hopefully this summer.
    If that happens, be wary that someone might react to that "first shot ever" feeling by pulling the gun into their chest and pulling their hands downward, causing the gun to point up and back towards themselves.

I've seen that in person, thankfully there was only one loaded round in the gun for that first "experience". Still scared the hell out of me when I saw it though.

(Washington County)

So glad that my girl doesn't care. She's been around guns a little at home, but never someone like me. I've been carrying my new bodyguard .380 every day, and she says she feels safe if shit does hit the fan. The first time I carried around her, she made a comment, and she realized that its a package deal. Still trying to get her to the range soon. She wants to shoot, but is a little scared. Hopefully in the next few weeks

Deal-breaker.

There's a few things we HAVE to agree on, and that's one of them.
    "Conflict is inevitable, but combat is optional.”

Scanned through the thread, and did not see a very simple solution.

If she does not like CC, well then OC

My wife still hates me carrying, but at least she gave up saying anything because she knows that I am not going to change.

Good luck!

(Monroe County)

You need to put down on the table all the things that you are willing to change and all the thing you are not willing to change about yourself. Your partner needs to do the same. Then you can figure out if you can have a relationship or not.

This is pretty standard... and does not matter what the issue is.

(Allegheny County)

Glad to hear she's finally coming around.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122