Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default Re: Girlfriend hates CC

Well..I'd have to use Kevin Harvick's answer from that commercial the he and gordon and the other did...but that;s just me...LOL

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Montgomery County)

I was in the same situation. My GF is/was (she's getting better) typical fresh out of college liberal. I did the same thing soberbyker did. I brought it up, asked her to join me, explained to her the reasons why I had it etc.

In a matter of 4-6 months she has gone from absolutely hating it so much she would purposely say things about it every day we hung out to understanding, going to the range with me, even handling the handgun. It doesn't bother her anymore and it was well worth the effort on my part.

You have to do it the right way. If you come across as too strong etc it would push her away from the idea entirely. You have to make her feel as though it is her idea to accept it not something forced on her. Its a tight rope act for a while but if you really care for the girl then it is worth it.

(Philadelphia County)

I say ditch the bitch
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Jefferson County)

Its really her that has the choice, either suck it up and deal with your lifestyle or she can walk.

If she has an irrational fear about firearms then she's not right in the head and you do not want to pass any defective genes down to another generation. Believe it or not, stupidity is inherent.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 17th, 2008 at 10:03 AM.

(Blair County)

"The irrational fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity."

(Monroe County)

NEVER and I mean NEVER give up anything for a girlfriend/boyfriend even if you think marriage is in your future. It will only bring resentment into the relationship further down the road. If she cannot except you for who you are or what you carry then I'm sorry but all the talking in the world will not resolve this. Whether it's firearms, music, motorcycles or whatever, it's a part of you that she MUST except. If any type of relationship is in your future she must except that part of you, period.

Explain to her your reasoning for owning a firearm. Tell her about all the rapes, beatings and murders that could have been avoided if the victim was armed. Tell her that you would rather carry a gun then go to a funeral or sit in a hospital room for days/weeks watching her in pain from an attack. Tell her that children are helpless without a responsible parent watching out over them. Reasoning is on your side, use it to it's full extent.

(Lebanon County)

My fiance (girlfriend at the time) was the same way. She threatened to end it... blah blah blah. I told her I wouldn't carry it around for for a little while until she got used to the idea. Now I carry it everywhere with her and she just laughs at me. I actually got her to shoot my Glock 30!! I think it will take some time, but your girlfriend will definitely get used to the idea and it will no longer be a big deal. Good luck!!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post
    "The irrational fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity."
    Sigmund Freud...

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
    NEVER and I mean NEVER give up anything for a girlfriend/boyfriend even if you think marriage is in your future. It will only bring resentment into the relationship further down the road. If she cannot except you for who you are or what you carry then I'm sorry but all the talking in the world will not resolve this. Whether it's firearms, music, motorcycles or whatever, it's a part of you that she MUST except. If any type of relationship is in your future she must except that part of you, period.
    +1

I made this mistake with my first marriage, needless to say it didn't last too long... I've learned from my mistakes and now am very happy....

Quote Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
    NEVER and I mean NEVER give up anything for a girlfriend/boyfriend even if you think marriage is in your future. It will only bring resentment into the relationship further down the road. If she cannot except you for who you are or what you carry then I'm sorry but all the talking in the world will not resolve this.
    The only way I could improve on this advice is to change the word even to especially. In other words (or is that other word?):

NEVER and I mean NEVER give up anything for a girlfriend/boyfriend especially if you think marriage is in your future.

This just doesn't apply to firearms, it applies to child rearing, who handles the money, lifestyle choices like where to live, types of jobs, religious views, etc. These are the things that many people do not think or talk about before they get married. Many people get married solely because they think the other person is "hot", or the sex is great. All that is good, and it may even be true, but this other stuff is way more important in the long run when it comes to a happy life with another person.

This is not to say you can't educate her, but if you give it an honest shot (so to speak) and she does not change her mind, you are going to have nothing but trouble. And if the trouble gets bad enough, you can end up like the gentleman in the thread over in the news section, being stripped of your rights because an angry woman swore out a complaint against you to get some revenge. Of course, this can happen for lots of reasons, but if she hates guns, you had better thing about this one long and hard. And I mean with your brain.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast