Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Girlfriend hates CC

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyDad View Post
    Have you tried hitting her ??

Sorry, bad joke from another thread.....

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by truecrimson View Post
    Simplly tell her that the right to keep and bear arms, along with the nessecity of bearing arms on a daily basis are deeply held beliefs for you, and if she loves you she will have to accept that you own and carry guns. Do not try to force her to like, own, or use guns herself. Offer to take her shooting, but if she rfuses don't push it, just the repeat the offer in the future. Just let guns be a visible part of your life which is clearly important to you.

Slowly, eventually she will come around. For a while she will barely tolerate it. Then she will tolerate much better. Then she will truely accept it. One day she may gladly accompany you to the range, and even develope and interest in owning and carrying guns herself.

It is a long and slow process, and has taken me about 10 years. When Monica and I got together she thought the world would be a better place if guns didn't exist. But I came with weapons of all types. Now she sleeps with a .38 when I'm not home, and comes with to me to PAFOA dinners and meets.

Don't give in, but be calm, reasonable and cordial. Don't let her draw you into fights over it.
    I can attest to this from personal experience, although it didn't take 10 years, it was only about 6 months.

My wife's father is an avid hunter so she grew up around hunting. She shot one of his rifles when she was young and beside the recoil hurting her shoulder it scared the crap out of her.

Then she grew up to be a tree huggin yuppie. Enter me. About two years into our relationship I had an incident that had me wanting to carry for self defense. I hadn't touched a gun for about 20 years myself.

One day she saw my application for a LTCF and she kind of freaked out about it. I went ahead with the application, got my license and bought a handgun, a Kahr CW9. She didn't like it but she tolerated it.

When I would go to the range I would ask if she wanted to go, eventually she did start coming with me. I would ask her if she wanted to shoot the gun, that too took awhile and the first time she shot the gun (my Kahr CW9) it scared her and she put it down. "No Thanks" she said.

About this time I started hanging out here on the PAFOA website. I made arrangements to meet a member at RAF in Bristol. My wife and I rode our motorcycles to RAF, she was just going to watch. A fellow at the range offered her his Ruger 22/45, much less recoil, yada yada yada an hour later shes tearing up the target. Still didn't like the 9mm though.

She did like the 22, so much she bought a Ruger Mark III 22/45 and shot it a lot.

Long story short, she sold the 22/45 and now shoots her own XD9sc. Currently she's enjoying my .357 revolvers, but she using 38 special rounds. I suspect in a month or two she'll be banging out the .357 mags.

Like Truecrimson suggested let her come around slow. Point out incidents where a having a gun made the difference, Point out incidents that happened in places where "it doesn't happen here" like Virginia Tech & Nickle Mines in Amish country.

Don't shove it in her face. She may never come around, hopefully she'll at least understand and tolerate it. A healthy relationship involves compromise, come to a happy medium. It can happen, with time and patience.

Good Luck,
    Bill

(Luzerne County)

i would take her shooting like Soberbyker did. Go slow. introduce her to the guns slowly. A lot of people have issues with the gun because of all the stigma attached to it. Once she learns that it is not going to go off on its own she will start to become more comfortable with it.

I took a guy from work shooting. His wife did not like it, even though her father was a shooter. Now she is talking about getting her own LCTF.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Susquehanna County)

What ever you do DON'T EVER LET HER EAT THE WEDDING CAKE! I'm not kidding about this. I would say more but I think my wife has my office bugged.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Damage control View Post
    What ever you do DON'T EVER LET HER EAT THE WEDDING CAKE! I'm not kidding about this. I would say more but I think my wife has my office bugged.
    and not just from her own wedding, but from any wedding. I've heard that if she goes to another wedding, for example,, to your cousins wedding, and eats the cake.....same effect.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Allegheny County)

Don't think "it" could happen?

Have her Google the words "Suzanna Gratia Hupp"

There are dozens of articles that cover her tragic story, but the best one is one you can find that are her own account of the day when her parents were murdered while she watched because her handgun was in her car.

Most people don't feel the "need" for a "gun" unless they see, or are involved in something that directly impacts their way of life.

It's easy to say "who needs a gun?" when you live in a "safe" area... what happens when the neighbor starts selling drugs, and a steady stream of undesirables begins to eyeball your house as they drive to and from their transactions.

That's what it took for MY wife to realize she needed a way to protect herself.

Pretending danger does not exist does not make it so.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

May I also suggest you have her meet with WOMEN who carry guns. We do exist and she may feel more comfortable listening to them about the whole issue.
    I had the opposite problem. I wanted guns early on. DH did NOT. NOT WITH kids..yadaaaaaa. Took me 23 years...yep.... I bought my rifle last fall. He was TICKED!!!!! I said, "too bad I want one, I miss it and it's mine". Well keep it locked up blah blah. Now HE has a .40 glock and we're shopping for shotties and ARs and handguns. Patience is the key.

(Montgomery County)

Doghouse - If it were me..I wouldn't budge on the issue. She would have to accept me for who I am..or start looking for another boyfriend. Her demands seem extremely selfish, and if you cave in now..you are planting a bad seed in her head for the future.

I'm from the school of thought...I told my GF that neither one of us were put on this earth to "boss each other around". I'm totally convinced it's a girl trick..and they all try it at some point in the relationship to test us out. Your GF will try to see what she can and can't get away with.

Now to the kids...if it's her kids from a previous relationship..you have to obey her wishes.

However..It's adult influence that strikes fear into the hearts of children regarding guns. Instead of trying to scare the children, how about we educate them and teach them to respect firearms.

I wish you luck.

(Butler County)

Just tell her that you own guns, will always own guns in the future, carry firearms, and will carry firearms in the future. That's who you are.

If she can't deal with that, then she will end it herself. If she does, you're better off. She's trying to change who you are.

And if she gets her way with this, it will happen with many other things too. This is not the way to begin a lifetime of happiness. A relationship should be something that builds on both of you, not shackles you.

(Blair County)

Im in the same situtation. However with the population I work with she understands(at least she says). Last night we went to walmart and she made the comment walking out the door; "Goodthing you have your gun those greeters can get pretty lippy." She has been around guns her whole life and doesnt even seem to notice most of the time when I have mine on me(which is pretty much all the time). I have taken her shooting and despite her saying she doesnt like it. she always has a smile when were there and only wants to shoot the hand guns. Well when returned home I was posting about a blair county meet and greet and she asked what is NC/OC/CC. When I explained she stated i dont get why you guys carry guns. We had along conversation I think she understood but didnt agree. I had to put it in terms of her driving because she is so cautious from being a high liability claims adjuster. Maybe a light will go off. Maybe not will see.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast