Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Thumbs down Tetra action blast = wicked stuff

I went to the Greencastle gunshow this weekend with the intentions of buying a .38 snubby, only to leave with a like-new west-Germany SIG P230 instead. It's a sweet little piece, probably the nicest .380 I've shot yet... certainly nicer than the Bersas, PPKs and Kel-tecs that I've encountered in the past.

Anywho since it was cold today and I didn't feel like spending forever in an ice-cold garage carefully cleaning it with rags and Hoppes no.9, I decided to try out the can of Tetra action blast that I bought a while back and proceeded to hurriedly hose the sucker down. Upon doing so two things began to happen. First of all the plastic grips began to melt slightly. The grips now have smeary marks and erosion all over them. Now I've sprayed other plastic parts before with similar degreasing sprays and never had a problem, so I found it a bit weird. In any case, I contemplated this weirdness for all of about 5 seconds before my hands received an icy-cold stinging/numbing sensation as the nitrile gloves I was wearing began to deteriorate as well. I quicky yanked my gloves off and washed my hands probably close to half a dozen times. My hands are still red, irritated and kinda cold feeling. I'm not certain if it's from the action blaster or the repeated washing.

Whatever the case may be, is Tetra action blast really this harsh or am I just a pansy? A friend of mine went hysterical and says I have chemical burns, although she likes to overreact regarding anything medical related.

Also, does anyone know who makes a good set of slimmer-then-factory Sig P230 grips? The factiry grips I have now are completely trashed.
    Last edited by Cheeseybacon; November 16th, 2008 at 11:01 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Tetra action blast = wicked stuff

sounds like you got yourself a chemical burn, like your friend said. anything that can eat through latex/nitrile that fast is not gonna be nice to your skin. stop using that crap, and if the redness isn't gone, go see a doctor.