Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Is it legal to shoot a mortally wounded deer?

I hit a deer with my truck last night. Myself and the other occupants of the truck are okay, the truck has some front-end damage but nothing that can't be repaired, and the deer...

Well, that's why I'm here. After checking on my passengers and then my truck, I walked over toward the deer, who had been thrown across the road and was lying on her side. I could see she was breathing and scared, and when she saw me approaching, she struggled to her feet and limped off into the woods and out of sight in the darkness. I didn't get a close enough look to see how badly she was hurt, or where, but she looked to be moving pretty good and hopefully her injuries will heal and she'll recover.

But it got me thinking. I had my 9mm carry pistol on me. If the deer had been mortally wounded, the humane thing to do would have been a shot through the head. But I don't know what the legal ramifications would be, or whether state law (game laws?), or local "discharge of firearms" ordinances would apply. Would it have been legal for me to put her down with a shot? Just curious in case there's ever a next time.

Thanks.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Is it legal to shoot a mortally wounded deer?

Came down my driveway one day to find a struck deer laying on side of road. It was alive and looking around but could not get up. Called my local police, who came out and shot it and had it taken away. In most cases I think that would be the prefered action to take.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by undertow View Post
    I hit a deer with my truck last night. Myself and the other occupants of the truck are okay, the truck has some front-end damage but nothing that can't be repaired, and the deer...

Well, that's why I'm here. After checking on my passengers and then my truck, I walked over toward the deer, who had been thrown across the road and was lying on her side. I could see she was breathing and scared, and when she saw me approaching, she struggled to her feet and limped off into the woods and out of sight in the darkness. I didn't get a close enough look to see how badly she was hurt, or where, but she looked to be moving pretty good and hopefully her injuries will heal and she'll recover.

But it got me thinking. I had my 9mm carry pistol on me. If the deer had been mortally wounded, the humane thing to do would have been a shot through the head. But I don't know what the legal ramifications would be, or whether state law (game laws?), or local "discharge of firearms" ordinances would apply. Would it have been legal for me to put her down with a shot? Just curious in case there's ever a next time.

Thanks.
    Short answer, not legal. Ethical answer... I'm sure there will be a debate.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(York County)

I don't think it's legal but I think where you are is going to matter a lot here as far as how much cops will care. (Or know)

If you are out in the middle of nowhere 20 miles from another person....end it's suffering.

If you are in a residential neighborhood and fire a gun on the side of the street, expect a swarm of police cars to show up and start asking questions you don't have good answers for...like "Why didn't you just call the cops?"

Not sure either one is legal. But out in the middle of nowhere there is no danger to others. Not to mention no one will even know. On your neighbor's sidewalk....I can see the cops being pissed that you discharged a round. You might know how to do it right but the cops are worried about the morons who would close their eyes while they did it and might miss and hit the cement and ricochete into someone's bedroom window.
    Last edited by Spaceballs; October 9th, 2022 at 04:06 PM.

Not legal for citizens to do that, must be LEO or PAGC.

(Delaware County)

Also, always call LE if you need a dog shot.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Jefferson County)

It is never legal to dispatch an injured deer, or any other wildlife for that matter. Only LEO's, PAGC, or certain veterinarians can do it. Sometimes, the PAGC will give permission to do it if you call - under certain circumstances(not sure what they are).

However, it isn't illegal to accidentally back over the deer's head/neck/vitals when you leave the scene(if your vehicle is driveable). <-----see that smiley.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

.....certain veterinarians?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    .....certain veterinarians?
    Maybe he meant vegetarians?

(Berks County)

Yeah, always call the police. There was a very oddly acting raccoon outside of the bank my daughter works at on a summer afternoon. They called the police, but by the time they got there, it was gone. Came back twice over a few days. On the third occasion an LE encounter ensued. It only took the cop 3 shots to hit it from about 6-8 feet away.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast