Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Elk Hunt

(Wayne County)

Default Elk Hunt

Well I’m back from my New Mexico bull elk hunt. The hunt was a bust and I have a warning for anyone heading to the north east portion of New Mexico, stay out of there. Drove to Dalhart, Texas as our staging area before going in and all I can say is, Dalhart is a dump. Couldn’t find 1 store to buy white pillow cases in the whole town. Bueyeros, New Mexico is another area that won’t ever see my hide quarters ever again. In 5 days we seen 4 elk total, 2 small bulls and 2 cows on a 9000 acre ranch. There was no cell service in Bueyeros, there was no coffee in camp, there were no elk to speak of. Some times you win, some times you lose. It’s back to Wyoming for me in the future.

PS, I think I got popped by a construction zone speed camera on the way home here in Pa.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Elk Hunt

I guess that's why it's called 'hunting' instead of 'getting', eh. Sorry to hear about the lousy trip and hope you do better next time. Maybe Mr. Hand will share.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Sorry for your disappointing Hunt in all aspects !

(Allegheny County)

Yeah Man.
    Sorry that didn't pan out.
    I had a popup on my phone about New Mexico elk and emailed to get more info.
    No one returned my email and now I'm glad they didn't.

I hesitated to book a cow elk hunt in Wheatland Wy this year having hip issues I thought were associated with my knee problems.. Hips are ok after having a doc take a look.

I did get another preference point for Wyoming and sent in for all 3 Pa elk tags.

I'll be applying again next year for Wyoming unless bad shit happens.

I'm almost out of elk and venison.
    Was in a tree this am to try solving the latter shortage

I have no.place to hang a bull mount so I'd have to buy a camp somewhere if I got one.

Cows are tasty
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Well I*m back from my New Mexico bull elk hunt. The hunt was a bust and I have a warning for anyone heading to the north east portion of New Mexico, stay out of there. Drove to Dalhart, Texas as our staging area before going in and all I can say is, Dalhart is a dump. Couldn*t find 1 store to buy white pillow cases in the whole town. Bueyeros, New Mexico is another area that won*t ever see my hide quarters ever again. In 5 days we seen 4 elk total, 2 small bulls and 2 cows on a 9000 acre ranch. There was no cell service in Bueyeros, there was no coffee in camp, there were no elk to speak of. Some times you win, some times you lose. It*s back to Wyoming for me in the future.

PS, I think I got popped by a construction zone speed camera on the way home here in Pa.
    Was this a guided hunt? did you do research the outfitter before booking and everything looked Okay? Im just curious as I am preparing for my first MT elk hunt in 2023

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by stack$99 View Post
    Was this a guided hunt? did you do research the outfitter before booking and everything looked Okay? Im just curious as I am preparing for my first MT elk hunt in 2023
    Yes, researched the outfitter but not the ranch. Gonzales ranch in Bueyeros is 9000 acres and harvest records for private ranches in that area are decent. It was my time for a check in the lost column. If I go back out west, it will be Wyoming again.

(Northampton County)

Well I*m back from my New Mexico bull elk hunt. The hunt was a bust and I have a warning for anyone heading to the north east portion of New Mexico, stay out of there. Drove to Dalhart, Texas as our staging area before going in and all I can say is, Dalhart is a dump. Couldn*t find 1 store to buy white pillow cases in the whole town. Bueyeros, New Mexico is another area that won*t ever see my hide quarters ever again. In 5 days we seen 4 elk total, 2 small bulls and 2 cows on a 9000 acre ranch. There was no cell service in Bueyeros, there was no coffee in camp, there were no elk to speak of. Some times you win, some times you lose. It*s back to Wyoming for me in the future.

on Route 78? they are diabolical about remote monitoring there
    You're a sanctimonious hypocrite of a bible-spouting blackmailer !

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1st8th83 View Post
    on Route 78? they are diabolical about remote monitoring there
    Pa turnpike out towards New Stanton. Waiting for my bud to call and curse me out because it was his Ford Raptor that we used.

(Bucks County)

Pa turnpike out towards New Stanton. Waiting for my bud to call and curse me out because it was his Ford Raptor that we used.
    My daughter got one, takes a while to send out but I believe your first is just a warning. Hers was, no fine, no points.

(Allegheny County)

The first one is free, just a warning.
    Today was a good day!