Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Conceal carry purse

My wife has had her LTCF for a couple of years now but doesn't actively carry. Normally we keep a gun locked up in the truck for her when she's out by herself but doesn't really do her any good in a store etc. She prefers to wear leggings so no good option for an actual conceal carry, last year I bought her a bellyband style conceal belt but she wasn't a fan of it.

With the world quickly going to shit I was talking about her starting to actually carry when she's out without me. She mentioned that she'd be interested in a carry purse so she could keep it on her.

I know this isn't as ideal as being directly on her body but it's the next best thing. Looking for recommendations on a good option, she typically prefers smaller purses so nothing huge.

I bought her a Kimber Micro 9 which is what she'll have that will go in a custom IKC holster I got for her.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Conceal carry purse

I have not heard they made concealed carry purses but that doesn’t mean they are not out there. Would it just be a regular purse with a section to place the firearm in? What do I know

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwenP View Post
    I have not heard they made concealed carry purses but that doesn*t mean they are not out there. Would it just be a regular purse with a section to place the firearm in? What do I know
    Seriously?

I mean, I guess if you're a dude, you may not have a lot of firsthand knowledge of purses, but yeah... purses purposely designed for carry have existed for decades.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

It's time to sit the wife down and get her to understand there is no substitute for on body carry. Purse carry may sound like a good idea but it's not. The purse can be left behind, it can be stolen, and it's actually a very slow to draw when you need to have the firearm. I always discourage purse carry. Hip or appendix carry are the two best options for concealed carry. Single stack 9's can be very slim, slim enough to carry IWB in even the tightest of leggings or jeans. And let's face it guys the only reason for wanting double stack nines with as many rounds as it can fit is all about mine is bigger than yours. Your average self defense use of a firearm is one to three shots. There are also the very popular with ladies gun the 380. It's smaller, less powerful and less effective than a 9mm but with people that have weaker hands they are easier to rack the slide and manage recoil. Please have this discussion with your wife and do your research. Purse carry is fraught with major flaws for concealed carry.

Last edited by JenniferG; October 6th, 2022 at 02:58 PM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lancaster County)

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

I'm wondering if she's proficient with the gun first.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Christmas music and cooking pork roast? WTF, I'm out.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    It's time to sit the wife down and get her to understand there is no substitute for on body carry. Purse carry may sound like a good idea but it's not. The purse can be left behind, it can be stolen, and it's actually a very slow to draw when you need to have the firearm. I always discourage purse carry. Hip or appendix carry are the two best options for concealed carry. Single stack 9's can be very slim, slim enough to carry IWB in even the tightest of leggings or jeans. And let's face it guys the only reason for wanting double stack nines with as many rounds as it can fit is all about mine is bigger than yours. Your average self defense use of a firearm is one to three shots. There are also the very popular with ladies gun the 380. It's smaller, less powerful and less effective than a 9mm but with people that have weaker hands they are easier to rack the slide and manage recoil. Please have this discussion with your wife and do your research. Purse carry is fraught with major flaws for concealed carry.

I know there's no substitute to carrying on your person but it isn't going to happen. 95% of the time we're together, this is for the 5% of the time she runs to the store while I'm working to grab some random groceries etc.

She isn't going to wear some special belt to make it work and just want's a good purse that will work. If it's either not to have a gun at all with her or in her purse I think the purse is still better than nothing.

As for a gun she has the Kimber Micro 9 I got her + a AIWB holster for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I'm wondering if she's proficient with the gun first.
    Proficient enough to understand when to shoot/not shoot, trigger safety, reloading magazines and hitting the target at 7-10 yards. I do want to get her out for more practice but as far as if she ended up in an active shooter situation or some lunatic stabbing people she'd be able to pull her gun out and hit the target.

(Northampton County)

If your wife is like mine, there is no one purse.. There's one for each occasion. My wife has had good luck with a crossbreed product which will fit in just about any purse and easily changed from one bag to the other.
    ]
    I haven't figured how to insert the pic from their site, but you can easily look it up.
    https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/s...-defender.html

Smit

Quote Originally Posted by smit308 View Post
    If your wife is like mine, there is no one purse.. There's one for each occasion. My wife has had good luck with a crossbreed product which will fit in just about any purse and easily changed from one bag to the other.
    ]
    I haven't figured how to insert the pic from their site, but you can easily look it up.
    https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/s...-defender.html

Smit
    I got lucky, mine only has one and prefers it as small as possible. I may just take her to some gun stores this weekend to look at them first hand. That seems like a simple solution, I was just thinking she could use the existing holster I got her then just put within the pouch in the actual purse.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast