Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Piston AR Upper for a Pistol Length 300 BLK

Who makes a decent piston upper for a 300 BLK with a 10" to 12" barrel. I am interested in a piston because I will be shooting suppressed 100% of the time. I don't mind shooting suppressed w/ a 20" or 22" DI AR, but at pistol length concerned about all the blowback & how filthy the action will get.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Piston AR Upper for a Pistol Length 300 BLK

ive had no issues with my adams arms piston ars.

(Wyoming County)

I cant' say that I've ever heard anything bad about Adams Arms.

I only have one piston AR at that is my 16" Ruger. It still gets incredibly dirty when suppressed. When unsupressed the BCG stays so clean that it's hard to tell it was even fired.

Because they are so expensive I haven't desired to own anymore or even shop for them.

One of my favorite Youtubers- Sage Dynamics, loves PWS(Primary Weapon Systems) *ETA: this is 6 years old. Probably newer mods to look at

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post

I only have one piston AR at that is my 16" Ruger. It still gets incredibly dirty when suppressed. When unsupressed the BCG stays so clean that it's hard to tell it was even fired.

Because they are so expensive I haven't desired to own anymore or even shop for them...
    Have you compared how dirty a DI gun gets to a piston gun suppressed? I want to shoot a pistol length 300 BLK. I am already losing my hearing so shooting with a suppressor is a must for me.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Who makes a decent piston upper for a 300 BLK with a 10" to 12" barrel. I am interested in a piston because I will be shooting suppressed 100% of the time. I don't mind shooting suppressed w/ a 20" or 22" DI AR, but at pistol length concerned about all the blowback & how filthy the action will get.
    Fwiw my 10.3 and 10.5 5.56 AR*s that I shoot suppressed doesn*t get any blowback, maybe a little dirtier than usual but no issues

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post

Because they are so expensive I haven't desired to own anymore or even shop for them.

One of my favorite Youtubers- Sage Dynamics, loves PWS(Primary Weapon Systems) *ETA: this is 6 years old. Probably newer mods to look at

PWS makes the BRN-180 for Brownell's. Mrs Ronin has a 5.56 upper and it's excellent. I've been considering one in .300 BLK for a while. However, I'm left handed and I get pelted in the face with brass from the BRN every now and again. I'm waiting to see if BCA offers a pistol length version of their piston upper in .300 BLK. So far, it's just been a full length upper in 5.56. Also BSA's QC is hit or miss, so will have to factor that into my final decision.

Brownell's currently has the 10" version of the BRN-180 in .300 BLK on sale for $899. If you use the code MRGUNSNGEAR, it drops the price to $810.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Have you compared how dirty a DI gun gets to a piston gun suppressed? I want to shoot a pistol length 300 BLK. I am already losing my hearing so shooting with a suppressor is a must for me.
    My unscientific observation will say it's about the same as DI. I don't mean to suggest that it affects anything negatively, I was just surprised at how clean my piston system ran unsupressed and then shocked at how dirty my Nickle boron BCG looked after throwing a can on it.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    PWS makes the BRN-180 for Brownell's. Mrs Ronin has a 5.56 upper and it's excellent. I've been considering one in .300 BLK for a while. However, I'm left handed and I get pelted in the face with brass from the BRN every now and again. I'm waiting to see if BCA offers a pistol length version of their piston upper in .300 BLK. So far, it's just been a full length upper in 5.56. Also BSA's QC is hit or miss, so will have to factor that into my final decision.

Brownell's currently has the 10" version of the BRN-180 in .300 BLK on sale for $899. If you use the code MRGUNSNGEAR, it drops the price to $810.
    ^another solid option