Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Victims of Temple University

Temple University is limiting public access and banning dine-in eating for one of its main on-campus food courts following several violent incidents in recent weeks. As of Wednesday, students must show an ID to get in between the hours of 2-5 p.m. and everyone is limited to carry out only.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia...ent-incidents/

(Bucks County)

Latest newsletter from Temple.

As a comparison, my son, wife and I toured the Drexel campus yesterday as he is considering transfering to Drexel. At no point did we feel uncomfortable. When I go to my daughter's at Temple I never feel safe. BTW, I attended Drexel in the mid 70's and never had a problem.

The link to the update on progress on campus safety and enrollment did not work.

ANNOUNCEMENT from Temple University: Facing challenges together

Temple University students recently received the following message from President Wingard including an update on progress on campus safety and enrollment.
    This is a time of deep challenges for our Temple community.

Crime, in particular, has increased in the area surrounding our campus and resulted in the tragic deaths of two of our very own. We understand the pain, fear, and frustration felt by so many in our community. We feel it too.

We hear your concerns; we share in your grief, and we agree we must do everything in our power to bring about change. We are deeply committed to taking the necessary steps to keep this campus safe. We value each of our students, faculty members, deans, and administrators and will continue to look for more meaningful ways to engage in solution-driven conversations. I know we all share a deep commitment to Temple and its public teaching and research mission.

Today, the challenges we face are unprecedented.

The scourge of increased crime and gun violence across the nation has also tragically torn through our community—creating a public safety crisis for our students, faculty, and staff. In addition, coming out of the COVID-19 pandemic, Temple’s enrollment has suffered disproportionately from the disruption affecting higher education nationwide.

When I joined Temple in the summer of 2021, our board and senior administrators were aligned on a common vision—to elevate Temple to the next level of best-in-class academic institutions, and I believe that vision is still possible. However, to address the pressing issues facing Temple, it is clear that we must pivot from that external agenda to an internal agenda committed to our most urgent priorities.

Those priorities are clear:
    • Safeguard the safety, security, and well-being of our students, faculty, staff and the entire Temple community.
    • Combat the decline in Temple’s enrollment exacerbated by COVID-19 and a broader national decline in college student enrollment.

Please read this summary of the actions both already underway, and those planned, to address these priorities.
    https://news.temple.edu/announcement...and-enrollment

The Temple legacy is one rooted in overcoming great odds. We have experienced hard times before and emerged stronger. Our shared perseverance and historic mission will guide us forward as we confront these challenges and sustain our university’s place as a beacon of hope in our city.

Sincerely,
    Dr. Jason Wingard
    President

(Delaware County)

One of my daughters attended Temple in the aughts. I didn't sleep for four years.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    One of my daughters attended Temple in the aughts. I didn't sleep for four years.
    Friend across the street has a daughter who graduates there in May. She owns a car that stays at the house, because they don't want it parked down there. She's in an off-campus apartment and he can't wait to get her the hell out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post
    Latest newsletter from Temple.

As a comparison, my son, wife and I toured the Drexel campus yesterday as he is considering transfering to Drexel. At no point did we feel uncomfortable.
    Might want to read this -
    https://6abc.com/everett-beauregard-...sity/12255510/

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    I'm glad my daughter did her first 2 years at Bucks Community College. She graduates in May, but now may get a research assistant job for the summer. It sounds like a pretty nice gig so I can't blame her. Her apartment lease is up in July, so she'll stay there and then take the train for the remainder of time. I'll be worried the whole time.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Yeah, I remember that one. The main reason it's memborable is that it doesn't happen that often. But I agree, you're still in the city and anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post
    Yeah, I remember that one. The main reason it's memborable is that it doesn't happen that often. But I agree, you're still in the city and anything can happen.
    Much of what happens in the 16th District (as with the rest of Philly) never gets called in, and a fair portion on the PPD channels winds up as 'unfounded' because the guilty parties have left by the time the cops showed up.

Jus' sayin', & good luck.

(Bucks County)

Announcement

Message to the University Community
    Posted Mar 28, 2023

Dear Members of the University Community:

We write to let you know that today the Temple University Board of Trustees accepted the resignation of President Jason Wingard, effective March 31, 2023.

Among the priorities the Board set for Dr. Wingard were developing and executing a strategy to enhance the value proposition, reputation, and external profile of the University. He demonstrated unwavering commitment to that mandate, and his contributions to advancing the University’s mission have been significant. We are confident that the University will benefit from the strategies and initiatives launched by Dr. Wingard, in the years to come. We thank him for his leadership and dedication to the Temple community.

Given the urgent matters now facing the University, particularly campus safety, the Board and the administration will ensure the highest level of focus on these serious issues. We understand that a concerted and sustained effort must be undertaken as we attempt to solve these problems.

At the same time, we acknowledge that these issues adversely affect all of the University’s constituencies. We recognize that solutions will be most effective, impactful and long-lasting when they reflect the perspectives of so many different groups who care deeply about Temple’s future. We remain confident that the University can overcome these challenges with your support.

The Board will designate a small group of senior Temple leaders to guide the university. This group will have many years of experience at Temple and devotion to its mission. Each will have discrete responsibilities for the university’s essential functions and provide a stable foundation for us as we look toward the search for our next president.

As we enter this new phase for Temple, your engagement and collaboration will be critical to our efforts to emerge stronger and more united as an institution, and a community, than ever before.

Thank you for your attention, commitment and loyalty to Temple University.

Sincerely,

Mitchell Morgan
    Chair, Board of Trustees

My daughter went to winder for 7 years. You find yourself on the wrong side of the tracks down there,
    watch out.
    FJB

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast