Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: The Victims of Temple University

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    Yes,I drive past it often and it is easily the most beautiful property on the entire stretch of Broad Street.
    Where is it?
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    Where is it?
    It's right near the Broad and Master streets intersection.I would love to get a look at the interior of the place.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Temple University President to move to a North Philadelphia rowhouse from his house in Chestnut Hill to experience the violence on campus.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/temple...-20221213.html

Link should open for free if you haven*t been to the Inquirer site recently.
    Here's the story from the Temple Newsletter

President Wingard to move to North Philadelphia
    Posted 1 day ago in Temple News.

From https://news.temple.edu/news/2022-12...h-philadelphia

How can Temple University be a better neighbor to local residents? And how can it better engage the campus community? President Jason Wingard has a very personal answer. Next year, President Wingard will move to the North Philadelphia community that surrounds the campus, becoming the first Temple president to live on or near Main Campus in the institution’s recent history.

Wingard and his family will relocate to a Temple-owned property on North Carlisle Street between Norris and Diamond streets in spring 2023. The row home is located in the middle of a residential street just a block from campus.

President Wingard’s move embodies one of the five key strategic priorities of Temple’s greater strategic plan—community engagement.

“As a leader, it is crucial to take action that supports strategic priorities,” Wingard said. “For my family and me, this is a move that we have thought about carefully. It is aligned with institutional and personal values, and we are excited!”

“We intend on deepening relationships with neighbors, students, faculty and staff as part of our efforts to demonstrate how Temple can impact the future through authentic engagement,” Wingard continued.

The Carlisle Street home will be the primary residence for the president, his wife and their five children. It will also serve as a vibrant and welcoming hub for the Temple community. The Wingards plan to host a full calendar of gatherings and receptions for students, staff, alumni, neighbors and other stakeholders at their new home.

President Wingard’s move is only one recent example of the university’s continued commitment to its historic mission. Founder Russell Conwell believed that “Acres of Diamonds” could be found right here in Temple’s backyard, and this belief helps inform Temple’s approach to community engagement as well as its unwavering support of diversity, equity and inclusion.

For instance, the new Center for Anti-Racism held its grand opening last month, and the university just welcomed the most ethnically and geographically diverse class in its recorded history. Temple also won a 2022 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine.

“Community engagement has always been of the utmost importance to the university, and that is even more true today given its role as one of Temple’s five strategic priorities,” said Valerie Harrison, vice president for diversity, equity and inclusion. “We are always looking for opportunities to deepen our relationship with North Philadelphia, and President Wingard’s move into the community is a way in which we can do just that.”

The university bought a 2,500-square-foot Carlisle Street property in October 2010 for approximately $245,000. It was part of a bundle of nine properties Temple purchased from Messiah College. The home’s current value is estimated at $300,000, based on the sale price of a property next door.

Temple University Police have used the building for office space for the past several years. The university will make modest renovations to restore the property to a single-family, ADA-compliant home.

The Wingards currently live in Chestnut Hill and will transition, permanently, to North Philadelphia.

(Philadelphia County)

Well damn,they are welcomed to come and make an offer of three hundred thousand dollars for my home....mine has offstreet parking!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post

How can Temple University be a better neighbor to local residents? And how can it better engage the campus community? President Jason Wingard has a very personal answer. Next year, President Wingard will move to the North Philadelphia community that surrounds the campus, becoming the first Temple president to live on or near Main Campus in the institution*s recent history.

Wingard and his family will relocate to a Temple-owned property on North Carlisle Street between Norris and Diamond streets in spring 2023. The row home is located in the middle of a residential street just a block from campus.

President Wingard*s move embodies one of the five key strategic priorities of Temple*s greater strategic plan*community engagement.

*As a leader, it is crucial to take action that supports strategic priorities,* Wingard said. *For my family and me, this is a move that we have thought about carefully. It is aligned with institutional and personal values, and we are excited!*

*We intend on deepening relationships with neighbors, students, faculty and staff as part of our efforts to demonstrate how Temple can impact the future through authentic engagement,* Wingard continued.

The Carlisle Street home will be the primary residence for the president, his wife and their five children. It will also serve as a vibrant and welcoming hub for the Temple community. The Wingards plan to host a full calendar of gatherings and receptions for students, staff, alumni, neighbors and other stakeholders at their new home.

President Wingard*s move is only one recent example of the university*s continued commitment to its historic mission. Founder Russell Conwell believed that *Acres of Diamonds* could be found right here in Temple*s backyard, and this belief helps inform Temple*s approach to community engagement as well as its unwavering support of diversity, equity and inclusion.

For instance, the new Center for Anti-Racism held its grand opening last month, and the university just welcomed the most ethnically and geographically diverse class in its recorded history. Temple also won a 2022 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine.

*Community engagement has always been of the utmost importance to the university, and that is even more true today given its role as one of Temple*s five strategic priorities,* said Valerie Harrison, vice president for diversity, equity and inclusion. *We are always looking for opportunities to deepen our relationship with North Philadelphia, and President Wingard*s move into the community is a way in which we can do just that.*

The university bought a 2,500-square-foot Carlisle Street property in October 2010 for approximately $245,000. It was part of a bundle of nine properties Temple purchased from Messiah College. The home*s current value is estimated at $300,000, based on the sale price of a property next door.

Temple University Police have used the building for office space for the past several years. The university will make modest renovations to restore the property to a single-family, ADA-compliant home.

The Wingards currently live in Chestnut Hill and will transition, permanently, to North Philadelphia.
    Thanks for posting the story.

I am sure the Temple Police will have a notable presence on North Carlisle Street in late 2023.

(Delaware County)

To Hell with the rowhome,he should move his family into this nearby abode.
    Attachment 162500
    Surely Temple owns it by now.

Here's a summary of what I learned about the place from doing a little digging:

The property, which sits at 1430 N. Broad, was the home of Charles E. Ellis, a 19th century Philadelphia entrepreneur who acquired his wealth from starting a company which made horse-drawn trollies. One of the nouveau riche of the Gilded Age, Ellis had the palacious and architecturally ostentatious home built in the Richardsonian-Romanesque style in the late 1800's.

The property was nominated for inclusion to the Register of Historic Places in 2017. It is currently owned by Palace Mission, Inc., aka Circle Mission Church. Everything you may want to know and more (including some neat vintage pics ) can be found in the official application for the Register here...

ETA: The Circle Mission Church which owns the property and which was started by Father Divine, a mid-20th century black spiritual leader who founded the International Peace Mission, also owns the nearby Divine Lorraine Hotel on Broad which was once derelict but saved from the wrecking ball and rehabilitated a few year ago. I'm sure you're familiar with it.

In any case, the good Father Divine came to do good works and did quite well indeed. This was his estate in tony Gladwyne on the Main line. Known as Woodmont, it is presently also owned by the Circle Mission Church and is used as a retreat and museum:

Last edited by Gman106; December 15th, 2022 at 05:03 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Lehigh County)

I don't know much about the Divine Lorraine, but the Divine Tracy was in West Philly on 36th street and I used to eat in their cafeteria... You could get a whole meal for for a couple of bucks and it was good food. You did have to wear long pants and a button shirt due to the dress code, but for a poor mid 1970s college student, it was a godsend.

http://peacemission.info/fdipmm/hotels/tracy.html

Mother and Father Divine:
    mdfdtb17.jpg
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    I don't know much about the Divine Lorraine, but the Divine Tracy was in West Philly on 36th street and I used to eat in their cafeteria... You could get a whole meal for for a couple of bucks and it was good food. You did have to wear long pants and a button shirt due to the dress code, but for a poor mid 1970s college student, it was a godsend.

http://peacemission.info/fdipmm/hotels/tracy.html

Mother and Father Divine:
    mdfdtb17.jpg
    Yep,I've ate there a few times years ago when I lived in West Philly.....one of these days I would like to take a drive and check out Woodmont.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post

How can Temple University be a better neighbor to local residents? And how can it better engage the campus community? President Jason Wingard has a very personal answer. Next year, President Wingard will move to the North Philadelphia community that surrounds the campus, becoming the first Temple president to live on or near Main Campus in the institution*s recent history.

President Wingard*s move embodies one of the five key strategic priorities of Temple*s greater strategic plan*community engagement.

*As a leader, it is crucial to take action that supports strategic priorities,* Wingard said. *For my family and me, this is a move that we have thought about carefully. It is aligned with institutional and personal values, and we are excited!*

*We intend on deepening relationships with neighbors, students, faculty and staff as part of our efforts to demonstrate how Temple can impact the future through authentic engagement,* Wingard continued.

President Wingard*s move is only one recent example of the university*s continued commitment to its historic mission. Founder Russell Conwell believed that *Acres of Diamonds* could be found right here in Temple*s backyard, and this belief helps inform Temple*s approach to community engagement as well as its unwavering support of diversity, equity and inclusion.

*Community engagement has always been of the utmost importance to the university, and that is even more true today given its role as one of Temple*s five strategic priorities,* said Valerie Harrison, vice president for diversity, equity and inclusion. *We are always looking for opportunities to deepen our relationship with North Philadelphia, and President Wingard*s move into the community is a way in which we can do just that.*

The university bought a 2,500-square-foot Carlisle Street property in October 2010 for approximately $245,000. It was part of a bundle of nine properties Temple purchased from Messiah College. The home*s current value is estimated at $300,000, based on the sale price of a property next door.

What is the over/under until he moves back...or his wife divorces him

(Bucks County)

To Hell with the rowhome,he should move his family into this nearby abode.
    Attachment 162500
    Surely Temple owns it by now.
    There is some beautiful architecture along Broad Street..and some hood stuff as well

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast