Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Mayor Kenney to sign order banning guns in Philly recreation spaces

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinPhilly View Post
    Another illegal action in Philly

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-parks-...vell/12270702/

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- Philadelphia's mayor is expected to sign an executive order Tuesday banning firearms in city recreation spaces.

The signing will come one day after a funeral for a Parks and Recreation worker who was killed while on the job.

There have been 18 incidents of gun violence at city parks and recreation facilities this year alone, including one that took the life of 41-year-old Tiffany Fletcher.

She was shot and killed on September 9 while working at the Mill Creek Rec Center. The mother of three was caught in the crossfire while taking a break outside.

Fletcher was laid to rest with a full city funeral on Monday.

Parks and Rec Commissioner Kathryn Ott Lovell was among the city officials who spoke at Fletcher's funeral about her service to the city and her community.

"During that service, she lost her life. A tragedy our department at Parks and Recreation has never before faced: losing one of our own in the line of duty," said Ott Lovell.

The executive order, to be signed by Mayor Jim Kenney, will ban guns and other deadly weapons from city recreation facilities including fields, playgrounds, and pools.

"I've been to many going home services here. This might be the most difficult that I've come to. And I'm just so, so sad and so sorry that this all happened. I can't tell you how much my heart is broken also," Kenney said at the funeral.

In August, the city began offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the conviction of those who fire guns and injure others within 500 feet of a school, rec center, or library.

The executive order comes as the city has reached 400 homicides this year.

"Our mission right now in honor of Tiffany is to send the message to put the guns down," emphasized State Senator Vincent Hughes.
    Was Tiffany Fletcher killed by someone with a LTCF? Was this a shootout done by local POOFA members?
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Gangle View Post
    Kenney really needs to go.
    Yes. However, like New Jersey, there is an overabundance of like-minded democrats to easily replace him.
    His order will eventually be found to be unconstitutional, but these democrats appear to get off on having their unconstitutional laws in force for a short period of time, knowing they will be overturned.

(Bucks County)

Five shorts = long time.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Was Tiffany Fletcher killed by someone with a LTCF? Was this a shootout done by local POOFA members?
    Yes by 2 guys on their way to a Trump rally decided to stop for cheesesteaks and murder......

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Yes you do. We all do, by complying with all the violations of the second amendment. To deny this is tantamount to kids playing pretend.
    True---And I see your point. I try to be law abiding as do others on this site--- but we're getting to the point where we see where they are headed.. but this (particularly) is clearly and obviously illegal, courts have ruled on it several times. We know it's illegal, the courts know it's illegal and he knows but he's doing it any way. So there's that---but you are correct in your post, we all do as we try to be good citizens that want to be left alone and live peacefully. However, it's clearly not working as the radicals infringe deeper and deeper---where is the line drawn? I drive into NJ 3 days a week for work, but it's not in my best interest to carry, but I soon will. And it's not in my belief to take that chance or "shoot my way out of it".

However, I know it's BS but there's times to comply then there comes a time not to...
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(York County)

I propose new legislation to keep government officials in check.

What Menny did was illegal and he knew it was illegal when he did it. And he KNOWS he will face no consequences for it, and will in all likelihood raise campaign funds by doing it, profiting off his illegal act.

PA needs legislation that holds rogue lawmakers in check. A prosecutor should be able to bring criminal charges of civil rights violations when lawmakers knowingly make illegal legislation or executive orders. A prosecutor should have to prove in court and convince a jury that the lawmaker was aware their laws/orders were illegal so as to not catch every lawmaker in traps where something was a grey area and later ruled to be unconstitutional. But Jim Kenney's action are OVERTLY illegal. And knowingly so.

The consequences should range from immediate disqualification from office up to actual jail time. No slaps on wrists.

Any lawmaker who opposes this kind of legislation should have to explain to the people why they don't feel lawmakers should be beholden to the state and national Constitutions.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post

What Menny did was illegal and he knew it was illegal when he did it. And he KNOWS he will face no consequences for it, and will in all likelihood raise campaign funds by doing it, profiting off his illegal act.

PA needs legislation that holds rogue lawmakers in check. A prosecutor should be able to bring criminal charges of civil rights violations when lawmakers knowingly make illegal legislation or executive orders. A prosecutor should have to prove in court and convince a jury that the lawmaker was aware their laws/orders were illegal so as to not catch every lawmaker in traps where something was a grey area and later ruled to be unconstitutional. But Jim Kenney's action are OVERTLY illegal. And knowingly so.

The consequences should range from immediate disqualification from office up to actual jail time. No slaps on wrists.

Any lawmaker who opposes this kind of legislation should have to explain to the people why they don't feel lawmakers should be beholden to the state and national Constitutions.
    I don't know the specifics but some sort of legislation was passed by our state legislators and Herr Wolf vetoed it. Of course, the Dems wouldn't approve so the veto couldn't be overridden.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post

Someone up there needs to do a protest by carrying where Herr Hitler has said you can't carry. You'll get arrested and either convicted or exonerated by a jury of your peers. Either way a civil rights violation has occurred, thus a lawsuit needs to be filed, and since the law is on your side it will be like hitting the lottery. Free, are you up for the challenge?
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

(Lancaster County)

I wonder if these scum bags can be charged under the Fraud, Waste, and Abuse laws? Using tax payer dollars to defend a knowingly illegal law, order, or ordinance should fall under this. Thoughts?? GOA has already filed a lawsuit against this "order". Which they will "defend" using our money.
    "If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target"

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by PASE717 View Post
    I wonder if these scum bags can be charged under the Fraud, Waste, and Abuse laws? Using tax payer dollars to defend a knowingly illegal law, order, or ordinance should fall under this. Thoughts?? GOA has already filed a lawsuit against this "order". Which they will "defend" using our money.
    If the PPD were to arrest you, there may be an argument that Kenney should be stripped of his qualified immunity for signing such legislation. There is clear case law w/r/t firearms pre-emption, especially with Pittsburgh front and center two years ago. I would bet during discovery his lawyer told him so.

Asolute and qualified immunity only protects local officials during "legitimate legislative activity". Pre-emption clearly spells out that legislative activity for firearms is left solely to the state, technically making his actions illegitimate. Have the Philthy police toss a carrier in the pokey and get a good lawyer: the mayor may be personally liable in a federal lawsuit (a lawsuit where the DA isn't that underwear skidmark named Krasner).
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast