Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Colt 6920, still the gold standard?

Is the 6920 still considered the gold standard? I know there’s better and it comes at a higher price. As far as a rack grade carbine goes I personally think they are still hard to beat for the money. What’s your thoughts?

I didn’t have any Colts for the last couple years, everyone I did own has always treated me well. I recently bought two in the last couple weeks cause the prices were very hard to pass up. One was a OEM-2 which I already filed a form 1 and it will be sporting a Colt 10.3 barrel, the other is pictured and will stay as pictured and will add a Eotech, Geissele trigger and a B5 SOPMOD stock.

Pic just because.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Colt 6920, still the gold standard?

When my eyes got so bad as to make the irons on my R6600 unusable, I got a 6920 OEM2 and built it with a LPVO. I*m completely happy with it. Did I pay more for the pony? Yes I did. Is it worth the extra money? I believe it is. Others will have differing opinions, they are entitled to them.

(Delaware County)

No. They never were. If you picked it up for under $1K, not terrible. But if you paid the normal $1300+ for one, you over paid. Considering a Spikes Tactical or Enhanced Aero can be purchased for under $1K, either of which I would take over the Colt.

OR* stop wasting money on manufacturers AR*s that you can assemble yourself using the SAME parts they do! I can build a 6920 with all the same parts.. all US made for about $700. Maybe less if I catch some deals. For that $1200-$1300, I can build the Top Tier AR I normally build, that bury the Colt in every way! They perform better. Have every part on them I want. Are more comfortable & look much better.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    No. They never were. If you picked it up for under $1K, not terrible. But if you paid the normal $1300+ for one, you over paid. Considering a Spikes Tactical or Enhanced Aero can be purchased for under $1K, either of which I would take over the Colt.

OR* stop wasting money on manufacturers AR*s that you can assemble yourself using the SAME parts they do! I can build a 6920 with all the same parts.. all US made for about $700. Maybe less if I catch some deals. For that $1200-$1300, I can build the Top Tier AR I normally build, that bury the Colt in every way! They perform better. Have every part on them I want. Are more comfortable & look much better.
    I second this. I also never understood getting a carbine length gas system on a 16 in barrel. You're just adding more recoil for literally no gain. It makes sense when the barrel is shorter, but if you have the space, use it.
    F*#K THE ATF

(Delaware County)

Yup! Every rifle I build gets a Midlength gas system & adjustable Gas Block. Colt has still not figured this out.

They*re fine. I mean they are solid rifles sure. However, they are nothing special. It*s the same parts used on practically every other AR. And they are very basic. A little too basic given the price. No free float Aluminum rail. No high end stock. And no premium muzzle attachment. Just plastic guard, T6 stock & A2 FH.

Thing I fail to understand are those who BUY something like the 6920, or other basic AR Carbine, then start replacing parts! It*s just throwing money away. Just BUILD it and choose your parts from the start.

(Delaware County)

Summary: Yes , they are good.
    Laser engraving is a bit lazy, but roll-marking ain't coming back.
    They can be had now for high $700(s) without furniture.

Colt Carbine Model No. CR6920
    https://thecoltar15resource.com/cr6920/

or

(Allegheny County)

Yup! Every rifle I build gets a Midlength gas system & adjustable Gas Block. Colt has still not figured this out.

They*re fine. I mean they are solid rifles sure. However, they are nothing special. It*s the same parts used on practically every other AR. And they are very basic. A little too basic given the price. No free float Aluminum rail. No high end stock. And no premium muzzle attachment. Just plastic guard, T6 stock & A2 FH.

Thing I fail to understand are those who BUY something like the 6920, or other basic AR Carbine, then start replacing parts! It*s just throwing money away. Just BUILD it and choose your parts from the start.
    Yes the Colt and specifically the 6920 was considered the gold standard for quite some time, I*m not even going to waste my time arguing that, is it still is the question. If you*ve ever shot a 6920 you*ll know that the 16* carbine length gas tube is a non issue, they*re soft shooting, all due to having the correct gas port size, buffer and spring right out of the box.

I get you and some others including myself like to build your carbine to fit your needs, most people don*t, they go and buy a gun off the shelf and shoot it.

As for Spikes and aero comparisons, imo they don*t compare dollar for dollar. Spike*s has been known for QC issues, out of spec lowers, uppers, barrel chambers etc. Aero is basically a parts company, they make good stuff as I have a bunch and am happy for the most part with the exception of a couple out of spec uppers I bought.

As far as changing parts, there isn*t one part that needs changed, they*re ready to go right out of the box. Changing trigger, stock, hand guard isn*t necessary, that*s a user preference. And yes they can still be bought NIB for under 1k.

I get that they may not look the coolest, just a basic gun that*s designed to do one thing, go bang when you need it to.

So the question remains.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by KPShooting View Post
    I second this. I also never understood getting a carbine length gas system on a 16 in barrel. You're just adding more recoil for literally no gain. It makes sense when the barrel is shorter, but if you have the space, use it.
    I understand the mid length for 16*, but it*s a non issue on a barrel with the proper gas port, buffer and spring.

(Delaware County)

Wrong

(Allegheny County)

Wrong
    How so?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast