Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Storage

(Chester County)

Default Re: Ammo Storage

Sounds like you need a dehumidifier with a larger capacity. I bought a larger capacity dehumidifier and it keeps the basement at about 50%
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    I said salt packs but I really meant the silica packs you are talking about that come in shoes, Ikea boxes, or anything else that was ever packed in any box ever. (Except ammo, oddly.)

What about opening an ammo can in the basement to remove a box of ammo and reclosing it in the basement? Do you find that concerning? Like it's trapping humid air inside or is the silica pack enough to handle that?

And do you change those silica packs out every so often or just leave one in there until you open the can?
    Loaded ammo is pretty durable. I wouldn*t have a care in the world opening and closing cans in the basement. The volume of air is small and the silica (if I bothered to use it) would last many many years.

My basement is an old stone foundation. It is virtually identical to the conditions you describe. I store primers and powder in their factory packaging on shelves. I store factory ammo in the factory boxes in fifty cal cans, no desiccants. I store reloads loose in fifty cal cans, no desiccants. I have never had any issue with any ammunition, reload, powder or primer so stored. Some on the shelf for 30 years or more. I think people worry about these things WAY too much.

ETA, I don*t store guns in those conditions. They get freckled way too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRabbit View Post
    How do bare feet do long-term in a humid basement?
    Pretty good. I hate footware, i hate anything on my feet or touching my feet. I wear flip flops nearly all year outside, and when I have to wear something, it's thin nylon socks and boat shoes. It's funny because my father wakes up in the morning, immediately puts his wool socks and nike's on, before leaving the bedroom.

(Chester County)

OMG, POOFA continues to deliver some of the best entertainment!

I struggle to keep mine below 60% Any higher and rust starts forming on other stuff. I manage to keep it under 60 in the summer but I can't get it much lower. 45 would be ideal.

In the winter it gets down to like 20% down there.

The real question was if the old military ammo cans with salt packs inside were enough protection. I have also heard you can put a charcoal briquettes in each can (noy that one would fit) as those are REALLY absorbent.

My neighbor in the same style house with the same basement keeps his in the basement but he runs through ammo like I run through water. When I say "long term storage" to him he looks at me like I have 2 heads.
    I wouldn't use salt, it attracts moisture, lay a bag on your concrete floor and you'll see. If I dont have my dehumidifier running 24/7/365
    everything would be rust and rotted. Its 79 degrees down there now, mid summer its 82 but very low humidity.
    Sometimes in the winter I need heat it gets that cold.
    FJB

I was thinking about moving my ammo to the basement to keep it out of the way (the range stuff, not the defensive stuff)

My basement needs a dehumidifier to run all summer to keep humidity below 60% and it gets musty down there IF I turn the dehumidifier off. (It's fine in the winter). I had issues with tools rusting and mold growth before I put the dehumidifier in. But now I'm paranoid.

I keep ammo in military ammo boxes with good rubber seals. And I keep salt packs in the cans.

Would anyone have concerns storing ammo in this basement? In sealed ammo cans. On shelves or in a cabinet, not sitting on the cement floor.

And would it be a big deal if I opened a can to take out a box of range ammo and let the basement air into the can?
    Sounds like my basement. I have stored ammo down there for years in ammo cans with a some desiccant thrown in. Even ammo 10 plus years old still looks good when I take it out.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Sounds like you need a dehumidifier with a larger capacity. I bought a larger capacity dehumidifier and it keeps the basement at about 50%
    It's the biggest one Home Depot has. I refuse to run 2 of them.

(Allegheny County)

going to be moving into a new home in a few weeks.. thinking about using part of the finished basement as a storage area,whats a good hygrometer to get?

(Allegheny County)

All that surplus ammo that people buy up that's been sitting in a warehouse for 50 years... do you think they keep it stored in perfect conditions?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Butler County)

I've kept my ammo using ammo cans in my basement for many years w/ a dehumidifier, usually kept around 55-60% and everything is still in perfect condition.
    -Brandon

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast