Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Storage

(Clinton County)

Default Re: Ammo Storage

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    I'm dead.... from laughter...not from unsolicited feet pics

My basement is at 45% humidity. Ammo is fine.
    FJB

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    My basement is at 45% humidity. Ammo is fine.
    I struggle to keep mine below 60% Any higher and rust starts forming on other stuff. I manage to keep it under 60 in the summer but I can't get it much lower. 45 would be ideal.

In the winter it gets down to like 20% down there.

The real question was if the old military ammo cans with salt packs inside were enough protection. I have also heard you can put a charcoal briquettes in each can (noy that one would fit) as those are REALLY absorbent.

My neighbor in the same style house with the same basement keeps his in the basement but he runs through ammo like I run through water. When I say "long term storage" to him he looks at me like I have 2 heads.

(Lehigh County)

I also run a dehumidifier in by basement Spring thru December. I just shot some .223 reloads that I made in 2018. I've never encountered a problem with mold or mildew on any ammo. I have an extra problem because I have an opening in one end for a stairway up to the garage and above those stairs is another set of stairs leading up to a storage room above the garage.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    How do bare feet do long-term in a humid basement?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    I struggle to keep mine below 60% Any higher and rust starts forming on other stuff. I manage to keep it under 60 in the summer but I can't get it much lower. 45 would be ideal.

In the winter it gets down to like 20% down there.

The real question was if the old military ammo cans with salt packs inside were enough protection. I have also heard you can put a charcoal briquettes in each can (noy that one would fit) as those are REALLY absorbent.

My neighbor in the same style house with the same basement keeps his in the basement but he runs through ammo like I run through water. When I say "long term storage" to him he looks at me like I have 2 heads.
    Simply placing the ammo in ammo cans is adequate storage. Adding a desiccant pack or two is belt and suspenders. Shoe stores get a silica desiccant pack in every shoe box. Asking will often allow you to grab a few dozen from their trash.

Calcium chloride based dehumidifiers produce salt water that when spilled corrode the hell out of whatever it touches. I wouldn*t use them in ammo cans. If you gotta do homemade, instant coffee works.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Simply placing the ammo in ammo cans is adequate storage. Adding a desiccant pack or two is belt and suspenders. Shoe stores get a silica desiccant pack in every shoe box. Asking will often allow you to grab a few dozen from their trash.

Calcium chloride based dehumidifiers produce salt water that when spilled corrode the hell out of whatever it touches. I wouldn*t use them in ammo cans. If you gotta do homemade, instant coffee works.
    I said salt packs but I really meant the silica packs you are talking about that come in shoes, Ikea boxes, or anything else that was ever packed in any box ever. (Except ammo, oddly.)

What about opening an ammo can in the basement to remove a box of ammo and reclosing it in the basement? Do you find that concerning? Like it's trapping humid air inside or is the silica pack enough to handle that?

And do you change those silica packs out every so often or just leave one in there until you open the can?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    I said salt packs but I really meant the silica packs you are talking about that come in shoes, Ikea boxes, or anything else that was ever packed in any box ever. (Except ammo, oddly.)

What about opening an ammo can in the basement to remove a box of ammo and reclosing it in the basement? Do you find that concerning? Like it's trapping humid air inside or is the silica pack enough to handle that?

And do you change those silica packs out every so often or just leave one in there until you open the can?
    The silica packs can all be regenerated by cooking the moisture out in the oven. Some turn colors from blue to pink during the process.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by TDIfan View Post
    I keep mine in ammo cans, in the basement with dehumidifier running. Never had an issue. Basement even gets some water in it occasionally during a heavy rain. Everything is off the floor. Safes are in there too, with a golden rod and dessicant boxes in each one. No issues there either.
    Same. Ammo cans with a moisture pack inside is how I go. Been like that for years. No issues.
    ΑΣΦ

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast