Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Driving through State College, PA - LTC Holder Question

I was looking at the map of Penn State in an attempt to make sure that during a trip to State College Pennsylvania I don*t find myself in advertently breaking the law.

When I pulled up the map of state college and specifically PSU, I noticed that route 99 is supposedly inside Penn State*s campus.

This begs the question as to if the university magically owns the highway and the adjoining roads/off ramps?

State law seems to indicate that you cannot have a firearm on your person on any sort of university or school property. I have a current PA CCW permit, but I*m curious as to what everybody else thinks.

Not the biggest picture on the planet, but you see 99 clearly going through two parts of the University:

B3E2A95D-74F2-49F5-BE67-59173692BD04.jpg

Does traveling on route 99 through what appears to be PSU*s campus make you an instant felon?

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Re: Driving through State College, PA - LTC Holder Question

No.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by GBMaryland View Post
    I was looking at the map of Penn State in an attempt to make sure that during a trip to State College Pennsylvania I don*t find myself in advertently breaking the law.

When I pulled up the map of state college and specifically PSU, I noticed that route 99 is supposedly inside Penn State*s campus.

This begs the question as to if the university magically owns the highway and the adjoining roads/off ramps?

State law seems to indicate that you cannot have a firearm on your person on any sort of university or school property. I have a current PA CCW permit, but I*m curious as to what everybody else thinks.

Not the biggest picture on the planet, but you see 99 clearly going through two parts of the University:

B3E2A95D-74F2-49F5-BE67-59173692BD04.jpg

Does traveling on route 99 through what appears to be PSU*s campus make you an instant felon?
    Uh no. Just like when I lived 50 yards from a school, I wasn't breaking the thousand foot rule. Got to use a little common sense. In this case anyway.

(Columbia County)

I don't believe state law banning firearms and weapons on school property covers universities /colleges. Only schools from Kindergarten to 12th. Here is the section that covers it.

912. Possession of weapon on school property.

(a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/L...9.012.000..HTM