Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Navy Arms French No.4's.

Navy Arms has recently unearthed a whole batch of British SMLE No. 4, Mk 1 rifles. A limited number of these rifles were dropped into France during the run-up to the Normandy invasion. (Operation Carpetbagger) According to the American Rifleman magazine, these firearms have been meticulously cared for by the French government for the last eight decades, and they are listed as being in "Very Good" condition. They are being sold by a company called Old Western Scrounger, and prices are running from $995.00 for non-matching parts, up to around $1395.00 for matched parts.

I have been a big fan of this rifle, having owned several during the years. They are great shooters with a relatively low recoil for a bolt action of that caliber. I would love to add another one to my collection, but money is tight right now so I will have to pass on this tantalizing offer.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Navy Arms French No.4's.

Thanks for the info. Years back (Mid 80's) KMART offered these for under $ 200 IIRC. Navy Arms back in the late 80's early 90's always had nice stuff - Pickup several items from them but I understand ownership was changed.

The current British SMLE No. 4, Mk 1 rifles being offered look nice - especially the constitutive serial numbered pair.

(York County)

Dang those have great history and everything...but the price? OMG.

Lucky for me I bought my own No. 4 back in the day. All matching, original hangtag from arsenal and apparently unissued. Got it from Valley Firearms in Baltimore back in the 1990s, so I won't even be tempted to spend a grand for another. Not selling mine either, but always glad to know I made a good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    Dang those have great history and everything...but the price? OMG.

Lucky for me I bought my own No. 4 back in the day. All matching, original hangtag from arsenal and apparently unissued. Got it from Valley Firearms in Baltimore back in the 1990s, so I won't even be tempted to spend a grand for another. Not selling mine either, but always glad to know I made a good investment.
    Me too. I can't remember what I really paid, but they were probably going for about $140.00 give or take in the 1980's. I bought a #4 once, brand new covered in cosmoline. I figured it was probably made towards the end of WW2 and put immediately into storage since the war ended and it was not needed. I also have one of those WW1 SMLE's, the #1 Mk III from India, arsenal redone into .308. Right now, it is priced at about $200.00 on the net. This platform is a fine rifle, one of the best ever produced.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

(Berks County)

Bought a No 4 mK1, my first centerfire rifle, from Boscovs West in Sinking Spring in the mid 80's for $79.95. It came with an original knife bayonet sealed in cosmoline. It wasn't new, had been refurbed at least once, but it made a great deer rifle.

By the way, No. 4's aren't considered SMLE's, or Short Magazine Lee Enfields. That is the No. 1 series, of WW1 fame.
    Last edited by snuffy19608; September 26th, 2022 at 08:02 AM. Reason: adding
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

(Tioga County)

I'd love to get one of these but frankly with the way this year has gone, not possible.

However hopefully they will have them in stock for a while, so maybe next year.