Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default CZ P01 Omega as CCW gun

I have used a Browning HiPower as my primary CCW for years. Thinking about getting a CZ P01 Omega as a secondary carry gun. A couple of questions:
    - Is it too wide. I love my Sig 226 but it is way too wide for a IWB carry gun for me.
    - Is it safe to carry w/ a round in the chamber with the safety on? Is the safety as easy to disengage as it is on a BHP or 1911? Concerned as this was designed as a DA/SA weapon.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: CZ P01 Omega as CCW gun

Only you can answer the first question. The variable include your clothing, your holster choice, your body type and how uncomfortable you are willing to be.

The second question depends on your level of training and practice. Mechanically, sure... the rest is up to you.

Drill on a shot timer. Compare actual performance.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Only you can answer the first question. The variable include your clothing, your holster choice, your body type and how uncomfortable you are willing to be.

The second question depends on your level of training and practice. Mechanically, sure... the rest is up to you.

Drill on a shot timer. Compare actual performance.
    Looking for general guidance for the first one (e.g. a Desert Eagle would not carry well whereas a Sig 938 would). Personally, a 226 s too big for CCW for me.

On the second question, I am not looking for a individual skill assessment, but an pistol assessment. For instance, most have accepted that a 1911 is safe for condition one carry - is the CZ safe as well?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Looking for general guidance for the first one (e.g. a Desert Eagle would not carry well whereas a Sig 938 would). Personally, a 226 s too big for CCW for me.

On the second question, I am not looking for a individual skill assessment, but an pistol assessment. For instance, most have accepted that a 1911 is safe for condition one carry - is the CZ safe as well?
    When I carry my SP-01 it's with one in the tube, hammer back, safety on. No problems so far. That said I don't carry it very often as it's a freaking boat anchor.

As for too big, I typically carry a PCR in the winter which is the same size as the P-01 just without the rail. I carry it OWB and under a jacket or baggy shirt it conceals well.
    F*#K THE ATF

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by KPShooting View Post
    When I carry my SP-01 it's with one in the tube, hammer back, safety on. No problems so far. That said I don't carry it very often as it's a freaking boat anchor.

As for too big, I typically carry a PCR in the winter which is the same size as the P-01 just without the rail. I carry it OWB and under a jacket or baggy shirt it conceals well.
    Is the PCR too big for you for IWB? Is the P-01 that much bigger because of the rail?

I carry a BHP and it is comfortable. The butt does stick out/prints unless I have a VERY baggy shirt. I generally carry at 3:30 which is not as comfortable as 4:00 but prints less. When I am concerned about printing (which is not very often) I carry my Sig 938. 100% hidden, but much harder to draw & only holds 6 in the magazine.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Is the PCR too big for you for IWB? Is the P-01 that much bigger because of the rail?

I carry a BHP and it is comfortable. The butt does stick out/prints unless I have a VERY baggy shirt. I generally carry at 3:30 which is not as comfortable as 4:00 but prints less. When I am concerned about printing (which is not very often) I carry my Sig 938. 100% hidden, but much harder to draw & only holds 6 in the magazine.
    The PCR and P-01 are the exact same width. The rail only changes the weight.

I don't think it's too big for IWB. Personally I just think anything bigger than a say an M&P Shield is uncomfortable IWB for long periods of time, but then I'm a fat fuck so that might have something to do with it.
    F*#K THE ATF