Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Colt Ace .22 - How does issue affect value and what to do about it?

I have a Cold Ace .22 pistol. My father gave me to me when I was a child (8-12 I think). I really have no use for it, have no interest in passing it on to my own crotch fruit, so when dad kicks the bucket, it will probably get sold.

So what's the problem? Dad, being the not wisest person that he is, for some fucking reason, engraved his social security number into the frame, under the grips. You only see it when the grips are removed. From the look of it, he probably used some cheap ass tool, like a Dremel needle point style engraver. Definitely free-hand.

So, my question is:

1). Should I sell it like it is?

2). Should I try to grind off of the social security number?

I don't care about the "privacy issue" - the question is purely a matter of which would be the better move, with respect to maximizing sales price?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Colt Ace .22 - How does issue affect value and what to do about it?

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I have a Cold Ace .22 pistol. My father gave me to me when I was a child (8-12 I think). I really have no use for it, have no interest in passing it on to my own crotch fruit, so when dad kicks the bucket, it will probably get sold.

So what's the problem? Dad, being the not wisest person that he is, for some fucking reason, engraved his social security number into the frame, under the grips. You only see it when the grips are removed. From the look of it, he probably used some cheap ass tool, like a Dremel needle point style engraver. Definitely free-hand.

So, my question is:

I don't care about the "privacy issue" - the question is purely a matter of which would be the better move, with respect to maximizing sales price?
    How deep and how large are the numbers you can always get a letter punch and X them out

(Beaver County)

If it's Stainless I would sandblast/media blast untill gone.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Allegheny County)

As a buyer, I wouldn't care what was under the grip.
    As a collector I would, but otherwise, who cares?

I have a rifle with someone's SSN written under the butt pad.
    I thought it was interesting to learn that the original owner was from north of Pittsburgh when we looked up the number.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post

So, my question is:

It adds authenticity to the history. Once dad has passed it has no use for ID issues.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

Don*t f with it. The damage is already done. At least leaving it as is the buyer will know what*s up. If you remove the marks, it*ll be a mystery spot that looks like ass.

Far more important is what vintage and type of ACE is it? The prewar standard model (1931-1936) is probably the nicest made. They look great, are usually VERY accurate but don*t generally cycle worth a shit. I have a couple of them as the ACE was a side interest of mine for a while.

Message me if you want. I might be able to help out a bit.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Allegheny County)

It was pretty common back in the day.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Don*t f with it. The damage is already done. At least leaving it as is the buyer will know what*s up. If you remove the marks, it*ll be a mystery spot that looks like ass.

Far more important is what vintage and type of ACE is it? The prewar standard model (1931-1936) is probably the nicest made. They look great, are usually VERY accurate but don*t generally cycle worth a shit. I have a couple of them as the ACE was a side interest of mine for a while.

Message me if you want. I might be able to help out a bit.
    I will have to dig it out, but I got it with the box. It's probably a 70s model if they made them then, or whatever the newest would be if they didn't. I'll have to dig it out at some point and look at it.

But from what I remember, it jammed a lot and wasn't very accurate.

I can also never figure out to put it back together after taking the slide off. It's probably taken apart right now, I just don't remember.

And it has probably been 20 years or more since I had the grips off and saw the SSN under there. I really don't remember what all it looks like.

(Bucks County)

That sounds like the reintroduction service model ACE. They were reintroduced around 1978 and went out of production around 1982.
    The service model uses a floating chamber to boost recoil. The floating chamber gets dirty and causes function problems. They need to be cleaned every 300-500 rounds depending on the ammo. It has a slightly different manual of arms for field stripping that*s a minor pain in the dick. Disassembly procedure is on YouTube somewhere.

They*re not particularly accurate or valuable. That said, with the original box and all, it*s got collector appeal. The only thing it*s got going for it is limited production/collector value. Like I opined, I would leave dad*s ss number on it. The scar left from removal will be a mystery to a collector and not help value. At least the ss number is an explanation and being hidden, probably won*t hurt it much in a sale.

I have a Python in the shop right now that was theft recovered. The two external serial numbers were peened out by the thief. Fortunately, dumb azz didn*t know some Python*s had an additional serial number stamped on the inside of the side plate. I*m going to remove the peened spots with a mill and have the numbers redone with a laser engraver.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    That sounds like the reintroduction service model ACE. They were reintroduced around 1978 and went out of production around 1982.
    The service model uses a floating chamber to boost recoil. The floating chamber gets dirty and causes function problems. They need to be cleaned every 300-500 rounds depending on the ammo. It has a slightly different manual of arms for field stripping that*s a minor pain in the dick. Disassembly procedure is on YouTube somewhere.

They*re not particularly accurate or valuable. That said, with the original box and all, it*s got collector appeal. The only thing it*s got going for it is limited production/collector value. Like I opined, I would leave dad*s ss number on it. The scar left from removal will be a mystery to a collector and not help value. At least the ss number is an explanation and being hidden, probably won*t hurt it much in a sale.

I have a Python in the shop right now that was theft recovered. The two external serial numbers were peened out by the thief. Fortunately, dumb azz didn*t know some Python*s had an additional serial number stamped on the inside of the side plate. I*m going to remove the peened spots with a mill and have the numbers redone with a laser engraver.
    Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I don't expect to get much for this thing. But money in a college fund beats gun in safe that will never get used.

Maybe it would work better with better ammo than we always used, I dunno...but I remember I couldn't hit shit with it. I have 2-3 magazines for it though.

I always preferred the Browning .22 pistol he gave me. That sucker? Accurate as hell, and just MELTS into your hand.