Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Reenacting cancelled in New York

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Are you saying is you dislike and disrespect the people you are there to entertain and educate ?
    I did a small number of WWII events about 20 years ago.

The public is mostly great, but there are some people who really ask the stupidest of things and push for the worst possible conversation. Like the Jewish men who went on a tirade about people re-enacting as Germans. I simply told them, we are portraying battle, it takes two sides and none of those men are nazis in real life.

I noticed our Republican candiate for governor was photographed in a Civil War rebel uniform at some point in his life. Idiots making THAT out to be like he's some sort of slavery pushing traitor.

I mean COME ON... You need two sides to re-enact a battle...

(Bucks County)

Just like you need two parties to generate money to politicians, and two positions on guns to generate $$$ support.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    I did a small number of WWII events about 20 years ago.

The public is mostly great, but there are some people who really ask the stupidest of things and push for the worst possible conversation. Like the Jewish men who went on a tirade about people re-enacting as Germans. I simply told them, we are portraying battle, it takes two sides and none of those men are nazis in real life.

I noticed our Republican candiate for governor was photographed in a Civil War rebel uniform at some point in his life. Idiots making THAT out to be like he's some sort of slavery pushing traitor.

I mean COME ON... You need two sides to re-enact a battle...
    Kind of like when my wife and I first moved up north to Delaware. A few months later we went to an Irish pub for drinks and it was full of union reenactors still in uniform. It didn't take more than a few drinks till my wife or I (Maybe / probably both) said the "Damn Yankees" word. Some of them made a stink but my ex was still cute and i said it again but grinned after I said it and everything was good. At the end they were asking where we were form and we were buying each other drinks.

It did make a good story for my relatives down south about how it was up North though!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Kind of like when my wife and I first moved up north to Delaware. A few months later we went to an Irish pub for drinks and it was full of union reenactors still in uniform. It didn't take more than a few drinks till my wife or I (Maybe / probably both) said the "Damn Yankees" word. Some of them made a stink but my ex was still cute and i said it again but grinned after I said it and everything was good. At the end they were asking where we were form and we were buying each other drinks.

It did make a good story for my relatives down south about how it was up North though!
    I have a legion of stories like those...

Sometimes the public do get it, and really appreciate the effort you put into putting on an good impression.

But my favorite stories are the ones involving reenactors from other eras. Did a number of "timeline" type events. That's when the event is specifically not focused on a single era, but instead invites participants to set up encampments spanning a range of impressions side by site and allows one to tour a variety of historical periods.

I have a good friend who is really into Sharps rifles. He's been a collector of the originals for decades. We were doing an encampment where he'd brought an original 1863 model rifle. This gun was in well worn, though good condition. He also had the original bayonet, frog, belt, sling and personal effects of the soldier who'd it had been issued to and proof that the set was authentic to that person. He handed it to a reenactor's son and allowed him to hold it, put on the belt and showed him the papers: stuff like copies of payroll and muster papers, as well as burial plot information after the soldier had passed, etc. The kid just about swooned.

Or when a fellow at one of these events walked up to me with a book in freezer bag to protect it. He took it out to show me. The book was about "recent" small arms development in the late 1860s and had a stamp indicating it was property of the office of general of the Western Theatre. On the flypage was the signature of Phil Sheridan.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    Two points:

1) You have to admit, it would have made a really cool picture

2) The tone and content of your post makes it sound like maybe you need to take a break from reenactments, that the magic has been lost for you.
    You have to understand that reenacting is just plain fun. I love the term tourons, they may very well be secondary to the reenactor. In addition, the people who appreciate the reenactment without the stupidity may also make up for the tourons - especially as a differentiation from the touronic.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    You have to understand that reenacting is just plain fun. I love the term tourons, they may very well be secondary to the reenactor. In addition, the people who appreciate the reenactment without the stupidity may also make up for the tourons - especially as a differentiation from the touronic.
    I second that opinion!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Are you saying is you dislike and disrespect the people you are there to entertain and educate ?
    Not at all. I love most of our guests, spectators and students. However, depending on your frame of mind, the level of stupid from some people is either very entertaining or very cringe worthy. Much like most avocations. Firearms culture included.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    Two points:

1) You have to admit, it would have made a really cool picture

2) The tone and content of your post makes it sound like maybe you need to take a break from reenactments, that the magic has been lost for you.
    Point 1. Yes it would have but the results look bad in the news and REALLY skewes our liability insurance rates.

Point 2. Yes I have for the most part and the second part of your statement is why I have done so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12