Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Snail Bullet Trap

I want to build a snail bullet trap pistol rounds (velocity less than 1400 fps, energy less than 800 ft.-lbs.), 90% of the time shooting 45ACP & 9mm. Want to keep reasonably small to keep the weight down and thinking about a 1'x1' front going 18" deep into a 6" id pipe. All four sides would angle in and the angles would be steeper than 30 degrees. I am thinking that 3/8" thick steel would be sufficient and would be using standard steel (A36 or similar).

Purpose is to limit how much lead accumulates in the back yard, knowing that there will be some bounce back & dust that gets out.

Anyone have experience with build snail traps that can provide comments?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Snail Bullet Trap

I have a 12 inch square trap I bought off amazon had it for a few years. Reinforced the back with a little bit more steel and shoot any hand gun round I own into it. It has a 2 inch thick rubber ad onthe front thats replaceable. I go through maybe one a year on average but it really depends on what I shoot into it. I had thought about making one but saw this and decided for what I wanted it wasn't worth the trouble making it. WHen I shoot a lot of 45's into it the rubber really takes a beating. Easy to empty when I remeber to do it before it gets too heavy.Bill

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt View Post
    I have a 12 inch square trap I bought off amazon had it for a few years. Reinforced the back with a little bit more steel and shoot any hand gun round I own into it. It has a 2 inch thick rubber ad onthe front thats replaceable. I go through maybe one a year on average but it really depends on what I shoot into it. I had thought about making one but saw this and decided for what I wanted it wasn't worth the trouble making it. WHen I shoot a lot of 45's into it the rubber really takes a beating. Easy to empty when I remeber to do it before it gets too heavy.Bill
    can you post a link?

Try to find some used conveyor belting, much better.

(Montgomery County)

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Target-...t-items&sr=1-4 this has a one inch thick pad. More by far when I bought mine but what isn't. After I had shot quite a bit at it I started to develop a bulge beat it flat welded an 1'8 inch plate good to go. Bill

(Montgomery County)

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Target-...t-items&sr=1-4 this has a one inch thick pad. More by far when I bought mine but what isn't. After I had shot quite a bit at it I started to develop a bulge beat it flat welded an 1'8 inch plate good to go. Bill
    That looks like the same one that Mark Serbu uses (according to the description of the video, it's at least the same manufacturer):

(Montgomery County)

It works quite well for what I want my shops 25 yds long and since I'm retired no ones in here so when I get bored I run a few magazines. Not as often now since my lgs put in a range. Bill

(Montgomery County)

It works quite well for what I want my shops 25 yds long and since I'm retired no ones in here so when I get bored I run a few magazines. Not as often now since my lgs put in a range. Bill
    Kings?

(Montgomery County)

Had replied but it went somewhere in cyper space. Been shooting at King's since they got their range up great place, good people and shop

(Westmoreland County)

I built my clamshell Bullet stop about ten years ago. I used 3/8 steel plate. The mouth is about 18 inches, tapering down to 4 inches. At the end of the 4-inch box, I have a 45-Degree drop, that empty into a bucket. I only shoot pistol. In the trap, However I shoot hard cast bullets, that I cast, From a 44Mag, 41 Mag, and 45 colt. All are Ruger Black Hawks. With pretty stout loads I have not had any problems with this trap. I would recommend you mount wheels on the Trap. Even with the wheels, I use my ATV to move it when needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast